Has it been announced if there will be a monthly fee?

#1asdam_teabagPosted 2/19/2013 4:30:45 AM
The game sounds amazing, but a monthly fee will be a dealbreaker for me.

Not that it's expensive, because for the hours of entertainment you get it really isn't, but the monthly fee system is idiotic and just a way for a company to squeeze money out of customers.

If Guild Wars 2 can run without a monthly fee then i'm never playing another MMO that has one.
---
http://i.imgur.com/dD8yx.gif
#2SephirothSamaPosted 2/19/2013 6:29:31 AM
Haven't heard one way or the other yet, but GW2 also doesn't have any actual content updates. So...yeah, there's still a difference between AAA title p2p and AAA f2p. The only real content updates you'll get in GW2 is with an expansion. That's why I don't mind paying a monthly fee. Where is does fail, though, is with games that are fee based and still don't have updates. The Old Republic is a great example for that.
---
"Then I'll put it another way. I'm clever, and you are unspeakably stupid!"- Takuan
The Official FŽanor fanboy.
#3SephirothSamaPosted 2/19/2013 6:39:23 AM(edited)
Actually, I did find this, and it explains it all quite well. Granted it is an unofficial source, but it does sound like they probably will go p2p:

Elder Scrolls Online is one of the most talked about games now. We know neither release date nor any other information but there are a lot of rumors about the game. An unknown source tells that the game can be Free to Play (F2P). Well, letís discuss this question.
Some information about so-called Free to Play model
Free to Play model means that all players can play the game for free without paying regular fee. But F2P MMORPGs are not absolutely free. You must understand that any game is made just because developers want to make some money. It is business and if the game exists it must generate revenue. Thatís why high level F2P games can not be absolutely free. For example players will have to buy updates with new content. Now you know that so-called ďFree to PlayĒ model is not absolutely free. FTP and Subscription-based games both require money. They just use different ways of doing it.

Can Elder Scrolls Online be free to play?

It is a serious question. If we assume that TES MMORPG will be a huge and long term project the answer is ďNoĒ. Elder Scrolls Online will hardly use F2P model. There are several reasons:

Subscription-based games can generate more revenue in long term but such projects must also be huge and interesting. Only interesting game can stimulate players to pay regular fee. Players have to feel that it worth paying. Elder Scrolls Online will be a huge long term project. There is no doubt that the game will also be interesting. If it is true the game will not be F2P.

F2P model is often used because it is easier to attract new players using F2P. It is obvious that FTP model is a little bit more attractive for players. But we do not think that TES Online will have problems with new subscribers. TES is popular and many people around the world will buy a subscription. Popularity is one of the main reasons for using Subscription model in TES MMO.

If Elder Scrolls Online uses subscription-based model we will see quality updates and interesting content. Developers will be able to create high quality updates because subscription-based games generate more revenue. More revenue means better content and updates. The MMO leader, World of Warcraft, is not free to play. Thatís why new WOW updates are usually great.

Source: http://elderscrollsonline.info/news/free-to-play-or-subscription
---
"Then I'll put it another way. I'm clever, and you are unspeakably stupid!"- Takuan
#4asdam_teabag(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 8:54:30 AM(edited)
SephirothSama posted...
Haven't heard one way or the other yet, but GW2 also doesn't have any actual content updates. So...yeah, there's still a difference between AAA title p2p and AAA f2p. The only real content updates you'll get in GW2 is with an expansion. That's why I don't mind paying a monthly fee. Where is does fail, though, is with games that are fee based and still don't have updates. The Old Republic is a great example for that.

GuildWars 2 does have content updates?

Edit: Just to make my point, from the top of my head there was the halloween and winter events ( which were both significantly big, with jumping puzzles, dungeons, dynamic events and weapon skins), theres been the fractals which are a bunch of new dungeons, an event that lasted a few days involving these crab people and a new area AND they are currently doing one at the moment, with a few new dynamic events that have been added leading to a climax.

Considering GW2 has only been out like... 5 months? I think thats pretty good for content updates.
---
#5ManiusPrimePosted 2/19/2013 9:40:02 AM
The big issue with F2P doesn't make people want to play as they don't have a monthly fee to push them to play. So as a Guild it is far easier to keep people.

I personally like the idea of P2P.
---
Manius
Imperator
#6asdam_teabag(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 12:06:15 PM
ManiusPrime posted...
The big issue with F2P doesn't make people want to play as they don't have a monthly fee to push them to play. So as a Guild it is far easier to keep people.

Why do you like paying monthly for something that you shouldn't have to pay monthly for though?
---
#7ManiusPrimePosted 2/19/2013 12:20:15 PM
I do agree about if you don't have to, but I kind of feel like it is needed. People feel far more compelled to play if they are paying a monthly fee. So the people in your group or guild that you play with don't just drop off.

It is nice that GW2 you can drop like a hat if something is happening in your real life. I just didn't care much for the B2P aspect. I had a ton of friends and guildies at the start of GW2. It was a decent sized guild, but the server transfers for free with the lack of need to play. I watched good friends lose interest far faster then any of the P2P games.
---
Manius
Imperator
#8A_Dirty_LiberalPosted 2/19/2013 2:27:38 PM(edited)
I don't get why the gaming community is still so averse to the idea of a subscription to online gaming. This isn't you getting "screwed over" out of money you "shouldn't have to pay for" online games which are p2p constantly see regular updates with new content. These aren't expansions, but rather independent smaller things and regular patches that the subscriber gets without paying an additional cent. Do customers at your place of employ get angry because you don't work for free? In addition dedicated servers cost a good deal of money. Your subscription is paying for the servers and ongoing content development. If companies don't charge a subscription then they often turn into "pay to win", and end up charging far more than what a simple subscription fee would. Just play any "free to play" Korean MMO or Evony, and you'll be surprised at how mandatory paying is, you won't get past mid level without years of mindless grinding or buying yourself a shortcut in the money shop.

The gaming community needs to lose it's sense of entitlement. Sure we payed $50 for a game in 1998 and got a whole game, no additional fees etc, but the games these days are so much bigger than Super Mario 64 that it's justified.

EDIT: Furthermore, being a player of FPS's I've noticed an increasing trend in the FPS community. Instead of a host based system commonly used on consoles, or having our public pc servers taken down just in time for the new one (I'm looking at you EA). There has been a call from the community for pay to play. Simply because you get a better product when you pay for it. You get better servers, better policed for hacking/modding, better connectivity, which leads to a whole lot more fun for everyone than the game would be otherwise. If TES Online gets pay to play dedicated servers with regular content updates and patches, be thankful because the game would be better for it.
---
Gold Guns in MW3: All of Them
#9SephirothSamaPosted 2/19/2013 2:35:03 PM(edited)
Didn't you have to pay to do anything meaningful in those GW2 updates? The Mad King one anyway. At least that's what I was told by other players, but then I didn't really do much with that update(just played along the main story). And that's just a seasonal thing. Where are the new permanent quest lines, dungeons, etc? That's what you're suppose to get with a p2p model. The seasonal stuff in GW2 was, honestly, probably developed before the game was even launched.

So, I guess if just mini dungeons, Fractals is it for that, it's not really much. If we see a lot of that sort of stuff added before any expansion, then I can say they've done a good job of adding content. Otherwise, not so much.
---
#10BEAMS_ae86Posted 2/19/2013 5:17:30 PM
asdam_teabag posted...
ManiusPrime posted...

Why do you like paying monthly for something that you shouldn't have to pay monthly for though?

WoW cost 15/mo and gave new dungeons, armours, and other stuffs

GW2 cost nothing and changes nothing
---
I arrive your screen from the neighborwifi...thanks god bless...you...