Attribute Build

#1HomerculesPosted 3/25/2014 5:21:55 PM(edited)
So I plan on using Ardent Flame skills, the odd Earthen Heart skill, and some bow skills. Will my character suffer by putting my attribute points into both magicka and stamina? Or should I focus on just one or the other?
#2kyboticaPosted 3/25/2014 5:27:08 PM
It depends on what role you plan to take on in dungeons and such. Tanks may suffer from focusing on all stats, as some argue that you need stamina and health far more than you need magicka. That said, there are viable tanking setups that use magicka.

If you're wanting to just deal damage, you'll probably be fine spreading out the points so long as you know how to manage them both properly. Empty one, use the other while the first refills, etc. you'll need to find the balance between the ability costs for each group so that you'll know whether you need more stamina or more magicka to fill any voids in your ability usage.
---
3DS FC- 3523-2829-4726
Teddiursa/Audino/Ditto-IGN-Kyle
#3Homercules(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2014 5:41:34 PM
kybotica posted...
If you're wanting to just deal damage, you'll probably be fine spreading out the points so long as you know how to manage them both properly. Empty one, use the other while the first refills, etc. you'll need to find the balance between the ability costs for each group so that you'll know whether you need more stamina or more magicka to fill any voids in your ability usage.

Perfect, that's what I needed to know. I've thought about it for a while, and I plan on making a dunmer dps DK, using Ardent Flame, an Earthen Heart ability or two, and maybe Dark Talons. For weapons either 2h or dual wield plus bow. And medium armour, with maybe a couple light armour pieces. I just didn't know if this was a good choice because I'd be using a solid mix of magic skills and stamina skills, but I'm glad to hear I can divide the two and not suffer for it later as long as I'm careful about it.
#4kyboticaPosted 3/25/2014 5:59:43 PM
You'll actually suffer more earlier on as far as I can tell. You'll need to note that I haven't gotten past level 20 in the beta version. I played a tank that used both magicka and stamina. I found that I occasionally lacked for stamina when I needed it. Fortunately, the health recovery from ardent flame abilities helped mitigate the damage spikes somewhat, but I'll probably be a bit more heavy handed on stam for my live tank.

When dealing damage I never had any real issues with using multiple resources as opposed to one. Also, an aside, using dark talons will give you a lot of utility as a damage dealer. You'll be able to distract and trap weaker enemies, and set up synergy abilities, which will only help your tank and group as a whole. Just be sure to avoid certain abilities, such as the magma armor or whatever the name of it is, as it won't really help for a DPS character as much as for a tank. Also, the ability where you throw a stone to knock down an enemy is incredibly expensive to use. Just a warning.
---
3DS FC- 3523-2829-4726
Teddiursa/Audino/Ditto-IGN-Kyle
#5Homercules(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2014 6:11:28 PM
Yeah, Obsidian Shard. That was going to be one of my primarily used abilities, especially while using my bow. But I may just use Dark Talons instead. I found during beta, using a build similar to this, it was extremely difficult to take on more than 2 mobs at a time. I could handle 2, but I'd learn my limits pretty quickly as soon as a third came in. So for this build I'm trying for melee/bow dps with good cc so I'm not limited to fighting individual mobs, or 2 at a time, but I haven't figured out what abilities would be best.