How is this game?

#1VegetamanPosted 1/25/2013 5:07:54 PM
I am a fan of older stuff from Ron Gilbert like Maniac Mansion, but haven't played Adventure Games in quite some time... This game looks really good though. How is it for PC? Pretty smooth, not too many bugs/crash issues?
---
"If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words."
Resident Child of Doom | LZA Founder - 2001
#2BrardithPosted 1/25/2013 5:52:52 PM
I have yet to find any bugs, though I'm sure there are some.

And if you're a fan of the earlier work, you're going to love this. The Cave, though not technically a point and click, has the famous humor and rigorous puzzle and world design of the previous Gilbert/Schafer games, of that I can assure you. I've been very pleased by it.
---
---Brar
#3DragnflyPosted 1/25/2013 8:04:10 PM
The writing is indeed still spot on. The gags are hilarious and there's lots of good puzzles (meaning you need to think, but not too hard)

I've encountered a few bugs on PC and my friend encountered a game-breaking one on PS3 (might be in PC too. I just never did what he did)

I've glitched through the floor to my death once, and was unable to pick up items until I restarted the game several times. The game also seems to really hate Logitech wireless keyboards, in that on 3 different ones I get stuck running in one direction. I had the same problem in other games too but only with one of the keyboards.

I'd say wait a few weeks to see if any watches come out, then get it. There's plenty of replay value but those replays themselves will be a bit clunky, as you'll be replaying parts.
---
"Lheth paihnn a picshah. Yhuu cah be tha paihnn!"
#4Vegetaman(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 9:11:35 AM
I might wait until summer then.
---
#5renegadebannerPosted 1/27/2013 3:37:59 AM
The game is interesting. For a 15 dollar price point you wont be disappointed as the game promotes repeated play through. At-least three to get all the stories. The gags are halarious and the charaters all get fleshed out via Portal style as the Cave narrates and belittles you along the way.

Get the game if you are a fan of Maniac Mansions. My only dissapointment is that there is no tentacle monster to kill you or a ending where a nuke destroys everyting.
#6Ravid182Posted 1/28/2013 1:57:57 AM
I only just started it but I am enjoying it a great deal. It is fun, different but still very much adventure game-ish.

It honestly does remind me a lot of a point and click adventure but in side scrolling form and in a good way
#7LegoTechnicPosted 1/28/2013 8:07:42 AM
Honestly this is more a Lost Vikings type game than anything resembling Maniac Mansion. If you're looking for the latter it's not really going to deliver.

I'm a little disappointed in the way the Cave is divided into its areas, as there are three zones (not counting the intro zone) that you always must go through, and then there's the three character zones you must clear based on who you chose. I actually think this hurts replay for me, as while I like the modularity of the character areas I'm not too keen on having to power through, say, the miner segment each and every time.

The writing is indeed humorous though, and it is certainly fun enough to play and enjoy. The knight's story will remain with me for years to come.
---
Bane even prayed for Dick when he became Batman. -- Frostbite_Zero
#8zero298Posted 2/25/2013 7:42:59 PM
Need to make about 3 more playthroughs to 100% the game but I'm at 9 hours now. Very fun, and very humorous, great writing.
---
Dear Blizzard: Rock is overpowered, Paper is balanced.
~Sincerely, Scissors
#9KOTRsssPosted 3/23/2013 4:55:27 AM
The writing is fantastic and the storytelling is very intriguing.

That being said, a lot of the character arcs are pretty lackluster, and the game touts far more replayability than it actually has.

It's certainly worth a playthrough, but dont expect it to thrill you for enough playthroughs to play as each character for both endings.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#10Vegetaman(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 6:56:07 PM
Well, I see it is on sale on Steam today for $7.49.
---