IGN Review

#1BlazingxPaddlesPosted 1/22/2013 4:00:17 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/22/the-cave-review

they gave it a 7.9, generally stating that it was a good game, but had technical issues, like a lot of frame rate drops as the camera panned on the 360, and floaty jumping that often made them screw up their jumps.

I will still DL the trial, to see if these technical hiccups are enough to deter me from a purchase.
#2alaindcPosted 1/22/2013 8:27:15 AM
jeuxvideo.com give it a 15/20 (75%)
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0001/00018255-the-cave-test.htm
they also talk about some framerate drop when streaming
the jumping issue may be IGN reviewer related, because they didn't talk about it.
and the jumping seem fine in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmMAuGKVSOA

the main problem with the game is not much replayability.
when you have see all story and puzzle, there is not much to do.
JV.com talk about 4-5 hours to finish the game the first time, and less than 2 hours after that. (8 hours to see all specific character story level).
#3Mason_CainPosted 1/22/2013 12:47:01 PM
So 25% the price of a cod game and still takes longer to beat lol
---
GT: Ancient Daemon
PSN: Ancient_Daemon
#4alaindcPosted 1/22/2013 1:25:30 PM
you can say that ;p
(not counting multi)

i am very surprise that ign say that, a "plus" of the game is "ample replayability"
#5jonsushiPosted 1/22/2013 10:28:31 PM
I came to the board to make a topic because I'm a little surprised by the reviews it's received. I saw this though so I'll just post here. :)

I don't usually base purchases on scores. But I do enjoy reading other's opinions and watching videos that show that. I watched IGN's and read GameInformer's. I'm more of a fan of GI in general but whatever.

Anyways I was wondering if I was the only one who thought the scores seemed pretty low compared to what has been said about the game in each of those reviews. Anyone else think 7's are a bit low when listening to or reading any of these reviews?

Also, I'm a little confused as to why people don't seem to agree with the same reviewers saying the game has high replayability. It may not be "long" but it is just a downloadable game that's only $15. I've played $60 games that are shorter and offer little to no replayability at all.

I think I was just kinda surprised by GI's score considering what they said in their little summary box.

---
Playing: Borderlands 2(PS3), Mark of the Ninja, X-COM EU (360)
Wants: The Last of Us, BioShock Infinite, HL3
#6Posed to DeathPosted 1/22/2013 10:59:32 PM
What is the point of a 1-10 scale when everyone treats 7/10 like it's a 3/10? The mentality of gamers today is that 1-6/10 is the worst game ever. 7-8/10 is meh, and 9-10/10 are the only games worth playing. 7/10 is a good score.
---
currently playing: Too many RPGs.
#7alaindcPosted 1/23/2013 4:18:31 AM
jonsushi posted...

Also, I'm a little confused as to why people don't seem to agree with the same reviewers saying the game has high replayability. It may not be "long" but it is just a downloadable game that's only $15. I've played $60 games that are shorter and offer little to no replayability at all.

replayability...
high replayability mean you want to replay the game countless time, to unlock things, or beat your score, usually.
with this game...
you repeat the game 3 times to see all the characters specific levels.
But most of it consist of repetition.
So, it's less fun the second time, and even less the third one.
You know the puzzles, you already heard the funny dialogue.
no unlockables, no score...to help you replay the game.

But...
that doesn't mean the game isn't fun, or great.
When you see games selling at full $60 price, with even less replay value, and often less than 10 hours to complete, people say to wait for a price drop. This game is already at $15, so, no need to wait.
#8jonsushiPosted 1/23/2013 4:30:52 AM
Posed to Death posted...
What is the point of a 1-10 scale when everyone treats 7/10 like it's a 3/10? The mentality of gamers today is that 1-6/10 is the worst game ever. 7-8/10 is meh, and 9-10/10 are the only games worth playing. 7/10 is a good score.

If you're talking to me then you didn't read what I posted. Or really really misunderstood what was typed. But mostly you skipped my entire post.

And if you're not talking to me then I don't know who you are talking about. I don't recall anyone saying that a 7 meant the game was bad.

---
Playing: Borderlands 2(PS3), Mark of the Ninja, X-COM EU (360)
Wants: The Last of Us, BioShock Infinite, HL3
#9skiguy1981Posted 1/23/2013 6:37:00 PM(edited)
Posed to Death posted...

Because I only have so much time. I work, I'm married, and I just had a Kid so yea why play a game that is just meh?

I normally only buy games that are 8/10 or higher just because of this reason.

Now if a game gets under an 8 and I really want it such as this game I will look into more and figure it out for myself.

And by the way 7/10 is not good. When I was in school if I got a 70% on a test I would be pissed, so yea. (7/10 is not bad but you are right it is meh)

Anyway to each their own.
---
The problem with Internet quotations is that many are not genuine. - Abraham Lincoln