The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

My Crosswinds deck

#1megamaster125Posted 6/24/2012 1:55:59 PM
I figured I'd post my crosswinds build, and why I made the choices I did, since I've seen people asking about crosswinds (and other decks). First, the deck:

Creatures - 9
2 Kraken Hatchling
2 Azure Mage
3 Fog Bank
1 Archaeomancer
1 Talrand, Sky Summoner

Other Spells - 26
3 Slight of Hand
2 Disperse
2 Favorable Winds
2 Mana Leak
1 Twincast
1 Call to Mind
2 Cancel
1 Keep Watch
2 Repulse
2 Rite of Replication
4 Talrand's Invocation
1 Future Sight
1 Gravitational Shift
1 Panoptic Mirror
1 Time Warp

Land - 25
25 Island

General deck strategy: Tempo/Control. Drop a Kraken or a Fog Bank early, and use instants to control the pace of the game. Once you hit 4 mana, the game starts to shift in your favor (hopefully, that is). Talrand's Invocation is one of the workhorses of the deck, and combined with Favorable Winds, the Invocation becomes an even better investment of your mana. Once you have a secure board position, you can start swinging in with your swarm of fliers. Gravitational Shift boosts the power of your flyers even more, and can slow down or completely shut off land-based aggro.

Future Sight, if gone unchecked, will just start generating you massive card advantage. Panoptic Mirror, Rite of Replication, Time Warp, and Talrand himself are all game winning bombs. Given the amount of land and card draw in the deck, it's not uncommon to be kicking a Rite of Replication in the late game. Talrand turns gives every instant/sorcery in your deck an added bonus of putting a 2/2 drake into play (3/3 or higher with Favorable Winds).

Some Card Analysis:
Azure Mage - it can be a 2/1 body to trade with something in the early game, or it can be a draw engine later on. Only 2 though because there's a lot of cards at the 2 mana cost, and this deck does have other card advantage engines.

Favorable Winds - I've heard of some people taking this card out, but I don't see why. 2/2 drakes are ok, but when they all become 3/3 for 2 mana, it makes each drake much more threatening, on both defense and offense.

Twincast - For 2 mana, copy any instant or sorcery, and there's lots of good ones to choose from. Copy a Talrand's Invocation with Talrand out, and you'll get a total of 6 drakes for the cost of 2 cards and 6 mana. You can even copy your oppoent's instants/sorceries, if the situation provides.

Keep Watch - I've seen a lot of decklists exclude this, and I honestly don't see why. You can use it when you're attacking, or when your opponent is attacking, and it only costs 3 mana. Worst case senario, this should turn into a Divination and draw you 2 cards, and Divination was used in Jace's 2012 deck.

Bounce/Counters - Knowing when and how to use these is one of the major keys to succeeding with this deck.

Notable Exclusions:
1 Kraken Hatchling - it's great on turn 1, against decks that like to attack early. However, it's absolutely horrible to draw later on, pluse this deck has 3 fog banks as well. I just found that having too many of these defensive creatures clogged up my hand and actually impeded me from gaining control of the board.

1 Archaeomancer - This one was tough. If I were to go to 61 cards, this would be that card. I cut it for several reasons. Call to Mind is cheaper, so you're more likely to be able to use whatever card you bring back in the same turn, and it has more synergy with Talrand, Twincast, and can be thrown on a Mirror if need be.

Curiousity - This deck has other card draw options, and this card is a dead card until at least turn 5 (unless your opponent can't block an azure mage or something). I could see it in a more aggro build, but I don't think this deck is really geared for aggro.
---
There are no contradictions in the Bible. http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/
Pokemon Black FC - 2151-3329-2763
#2megamaster125(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2012 2:10:29 PM(edited)
Ring of Evos Isle - The Hexproof is nice, but let's be honest, what cards really need it? Talrand and... maybe to protect Fog Bank from removal. There usually isn't a need to protect Fog Bank, since it doesn't help you win anyways, plus you have 3 of them. Talrand is just a 1-of, and while he's great, the deck can win without him. Aside from that, you could stick it on a Kraken, but I found this strategy to just be way too slow as means of offense or even trying to control the board. I would rather be spending my mana on instants than dumping it into playing and equiping this, and then leaving mana open to use hexproof instead of using my other instants. The buildup of +1/+1 counters is just too slow, even if you equip it on a Kraken on turn 3.

Spiketail Hatchling - This seems like a nice card, but it's increadibly easy to play around. Also, like the Kraken, the longer the game goes, the less useful this card will be.

Skywinder Drake - It can only block flying, so you can't really use it for defense. It could be used in an aggro build, but I don't think this deck has enough good tools for aggro. My build is a Tempo/Control.

Dehydration - It's 4 mana to nullify an opponent's creature. For the same amount of mana, I can play Rite of Replication, which actually has synergy with the instant/sorcery theme of the deck. This card is also trying to compete with all the bounce, which is cheaper and can be used at instant speed.

Sphinx of Lost Truths - This is essentially a 7 mana 3/5 flyer that gives you 3 cards. This deck has other options for card draw and card advantage. You could play it for a net of 0 card advantage for 5 mana, but I'd rather be playing a Future Sight, Gravitational Shift, or Panoptic Mirror on turn 5.

Cast through Time/Sphinx-Bone wand - Both are 7 mana, and by that time, you should just about have control of the board. The wand may seem nice with the instant/sorceries flying around, but it's slow to build up, and by the time you do, all those instants you played will have given you control of the board without the wand.

If you guys liked this, I can do this for other decks too. Just tell me which deck you want to see next. (It'll take time though, because I'm still unlocking cards myself.)
---
There are no contradictions in the Bible. http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/
#3BlindRapturePosted 6/24/2012 2:23:10 PM
I agree with your assessments except taking 1 of the Anachromancers out, it's easily one of the best cards in the deck and there's no reason you shouldn't be running both. I would also personally leave the wand in. Even if you control the match, the deck has very few ways to finish off an opponent. The wand at least ensures the match won't go on forever. And if you have mirror with any spell attached to it, it will increase in power every turn.
#4megamaster125(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2012 2:38:40 PM
BlindRapture posted...
I agree with your assessments except taking 1 of the Anachromancers out, it's easily one of the best cards in the deck and there's no reason you shouldn't be running both. I would also personally leave the wand in. Even if you control the match, the deck has very few ways to finish off an opponent. The wand at least ensures the match won't go on forever. And if you have mirror with any spell attached to it, it will increase in power every turn.

Yeah, I am contemplating going 61 cards and running both Archeaomancers. I just can't see anything else worth cutting. As for winning, I usually don't have a problem with my drakes winning, or winning with some Panoptic Mirror or Rite of Replication shenanigans.
---
#5BlindRapturePosted 6/24/2012 3:03:46 PM
This is my favorite deck, but it's so dependent on draws and i've been getting terrible draws lately.
#6megamaster125(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2012 3:09:12 PM(edited)
I haven't had too many problems with bad draws since I cut a Kraken and unlocked both Repulses and the Keep Watch. Those cards always seem to smooth things out so when I hit turn 4-5, I can focus on making drakes or something. This is also why I'm a little reluctant to add that other Archaeomancer as the 61st card. This deck really wants to hit every land drop, and adding that 61st card would slighly lower those chances.
---
#7SoupAreManPosted 6/24/2012 3:12:58 PM
I tried this deck. I was kind of Leary of rite of replication without the ramp from ancient depths deck last year but found myself drawing more than adequate mana. I played online against a life gain deck....I kicked Rite of Replication twice on his Archon of Redemption. That with a few well placed drakes.....i ended the game winning with 249 life.

Crosswinds out life gained the Life Gain deck.

I seriously doubt every game will go that well....but it was a fun little moment.
#8TheBeastWithinPosted 6/24/2012 3:42:27 PM
I always play 61 card decks in DotP. I feel there is a little too much mana in these decks to begin with and so the slight extra chance to pull something useful is preferable. Unless card 61 is significantly worse than card 60.

Those archaeomancers are so useful I'd rather have them both. Also, I liked your post. You should do this for other decks.
---
Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
#9BlindRapturePosted 6/24/2012 3:49:35 PM
I really wanted this deck to work, but it just can't keep up with the other decks unless you get a perfect draw and your opponent doesn't.
#10Seto_RyuPosted 6/24/2012 3:50:54 PM
I've been playing mill or burn mostly, but I really want to get this deck to work.
More topics from this board...
Worst AI Hax Ever!!SpikeTbear17/8 11:14PM