Promo unlocks in DLC decks.

#1MorguesonPosted 7/4/2012 2:20:09 PM
http://www.toptiertactics.com/14186/duels-of-the-planeswalkers-2013-dlc-leak-promises-a-return-to-ravnica-with-5-dual-colored-decks/

Seriously? That's low... It is not enough that we are basically buying promo for the next magic sets by buying this game, they'll make us miss out on the best part of it if we don't go out and play in their events. No Demonic tutor, Damnation, Rancor and Swords to Plowshares I guess.

Good thing I didn't bought the game, although they can always call me when they will remove preset decks and gives us the ability to build our own friggin decks just like in yu-gi-oh 5d decade duels. They have a magic online there and weren't afraid to throw preset decks out of the window. 1000 different yu-gi-oh cards. Build a deck. That's it. No on-game DLC, promo unlocks, no obligation to spend more money so that you can get the whole game...

Just trying to let you people know in what rip-off you are getting into...

P.S: While writing this I learned that even non-DLC decks have promo unlocks. That's capitalism for you.
---
X-box 360 GT: kicker jack19
North America: Where hard in games is considered a bug.
#2SoupAreManPosted 7/4/2012 2:57:19 PM(edited)
It's not really a rip off. The base game is what? 800 points to buy on xbox? Thats $10. After that you aren't required to buy anything....you have the option to spend more money if you want to speed up your progress...but you aren't required to do it and can still unlock all the features of the core game with some extra hours of play.

For $10 the game is good. If it were a $60 version then yeah I would agree the deck customization should give the ability to make decks from scratch.

I'm not sure why Paying for extra DLC in the future is such a big deal either...very few games come out with Free Expansions.

"I already bought vanilla world of warcraft, why should i have to pay extra for burning crusade?" Said no one ever.

Choosing not to purchase future expansions of the game does not render your current product unplayable.

And for now, having to attend FNM events to receive unlocks for DotP is only rumor. If this were to become confirmed I could see some room for complaint. To me this game is like Magic Lite. For those of us who enjoy the game, but don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars on booster boxes and singles to be competitive. And with a Lite version of anything, you don't get to do absolutely everything you can do with a full version (I.E. Build your own deck)

The game is fun, and with multiplayer online has as much replay value as you want. For $10....I fail to see where any rip off has occurred.
#3megamaster125Posted 7/4/2012 3:32:12 PM
I think it's far too early to say that the "promo unlocks" won't be available to everyone. First of all, there would be a massive outrage on the wizards.com forums, followed by lots of lost customer support for future DotP products. Second, I can't image them not giving us the option to give them more money to unlock these cards. So before people rush to grab their picthforks, just wait and see what happens. Don't jump to conclusions just yet. This game has only been out for a few weeks.
---
There are no contradictions in the Bible. http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/
Pokemon Black FC - 2151-3329-2763
#4resultsmayvary8Posted 7/4/2012 4:12:48 PM
Your alarmist uninformed overreaction is showing.
#5fallenswordsPosted 7/4/2012 5:08:00 PM
what people dont realize is that if wizards gave you the ability to make decks from scratch it would break the game...

all the decks would be broken to the point where the winner of the coin flip wins the game.
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 8/28/2011 10:09:48 AM: http://bit.ly/jJ2ZNS
Katawa Shoujo changed my life. http://katawa-shoujo.com/
#6abyssPosted 7/4/2012 6:02:04 PM
So, that's the Yu-Gi-Oh game that costs full price, right?

Complaining that there isn't a Magic version of that is fine, but wanting DOTP to be that is stupid. The whole idea of DOTP is to have limited decks for people that prefer it.
#7U2205Posted 7/4/2012 8:51:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_Online
#8duericPosted 7/4/2012 9:05:08 PM
To be honest, if those cards aren't available to everyone, even if that means we have to buy them, I won't buy the DLC. It's that simple.

That being said, I can't hate on them too much. I mean, for $10 I got a pretty solid game that I'm having tons of fun with.

It would suck to have to dump it to prove a point, but that's really the only option we have that would actually mean something.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#9R of The NestPosted 7/4/2012 10:02:41 PM
The promo codes are from the upcoming Mini Masters promotional tournament, which I presume will be in September. Oh, and it's FREE to enter the event.
---
"Ha! No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale!"
- Wiegraf, Final Fantasy Tactics
#10Morgueson(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2012 7:19:52 AM
resultsmayvary8 posted...
Your alarmist uninformed overreaction is showing.

I provide a link to prove my point yet I am still called uninformed? I can't help but smile for some reason...

megamaster125 posted...
I think it's far too early to say that the "promo unlocks" won't be available to everyone. First of all, there would be a massive outrage on the wizards.com forums, followed by lots of lost customer support for future DotP products. Second, I can't image them not giving us the option to give them more money to unlock these cards. So before people rush to grab their picthforks, just wait and see what happens. Don't jump to conclusions just yet. This game has only been out for a few weeks.

Sure, there's probably going to be an outrage if that happens, but it won't force them to change their mind. They can simply endure and say no. There is a chance their DOTP sales will suffer, but then it is simply a 10$ game. Why should they care when it is only a tool to further their real-life product?

fallenswords posted...
what people dont realize is that if wizards gave you the ability to make decks from scratch it would break the game...

all the decks would be broken to the point where the winner of the coin flip wins the game.

I guess that makes RL Magic broken then, lol...

You want to talk about coin flip wins? How about we play a game where we both take the red deck and you are the only one drawing an inferno titan. Lets see how much of a coin flip that is...

R of The Nest posted...
The promo codes are from the upcoming Mini Masters promotional tournament, which I presume will be in September. Oh, and it's FREE to enter the event.

Probably free to enter, but not free to play. You will still need that 100$ deck if you want at least chance at winning... wait, if that makes it free, then I can just enter, get the code, and drop out then? Nah, my DCI profile would get a bit tainted...

U2205 posted...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_Online

You know, I would probably be willing to buy a console version of that game with the sets being available as DLC... hmmm....
---
X-box 360 GT: kicker jack19
North America: Where hard in games is considered a bug.