Bio-Weapon on Brutal

#1dxspaz22Posted 6/6/2012 1:55:35 PM
I just can't seem to get it done. I've tried to tone down the lethal stuff and also just ignoring death rate and going for max infection/transmission. anyone else beat this one yet?
#2ArsenicOverlordPosted 6/6/2012 2:54:07 PM
Bio-Weapon on brutal is tough. I beat it several times, but I always cut it very, very close.

The first ones I go for are Gene Compression 1-3 to slow down the bio-weapon becoming lethal. I also get Deactivate Modified Genes 1 very early.

Then I go for transmission vectors, usually Bird and Water first.

I don't buy any symptoms, but I also don't devolve them if I get them. I devolve only if I get a lethal symptom too early. I want to keep the pathogen rather benign and only spreading in the early going for obvious reasons.

I check the Disease Graph very frequently. If the lethality has gone up even a little bit up, or if I notice people are dying, then I immediately get Deactivate Modified Gene 2 (and 3 later, if necessary). People dying is a quick way to get research started, and I don't want that. Thankfully, DMG 2 & 3 drop the lethality level way down into the negative, so I won't have to worry about the pathogen going lethal for a while. It's not a bad idea to get DMG 2 early on while it's cheap, I think. I haven't tried Nucleic Acid Neutralization. I should try that ability and see if that one is more effective.

Anyway, after that, it's all usual stuff. I upgrade transmission vectors as I see fit. I usually end up with Bird 1 (maybe 2), Rodent 1, Air 1 (especially if I get the "new air sterilization system" notice), and Water 1 & 2 (sometimes I get lucky and have Greenland and Iceland infected early, then I'll have Water 1 only). And I get Cold Resistance 1 & 2 (assuming I started at a hot country), Drug Resistance 1 & 2, and Genetic Hardening 1 & 2. Research will have started by this point, and I focus on saving up enough points for big lethal symptoms, and possibly getting Genetic ReShuffling abilities.

And when the whole world is infected, boom, Total Organ Failure, here I come. I also devolve Gene Compression and Deactivate Modified Genes abilities. (must devolve in backwards order, or you might miss out on devolving points for some of them) I'm not sure if devolving them gives you a boost in lethality, but the extra points are nice. Likewise, I devolve any Water and Air vectors. I don't need them anymore. I keep Birds/Rodents/etc vectors for higher mutation chance. I might devolve them too if I need more points.

Coma, Paralysis, and Insanity symptoms slow research down, and they add to the lethality, so those are nice to have. Get Insomnia and Anaemia if you don't have them yet for a chance at triggering Walking Dead combo. That one slows down research quite a bit too. And of course, Genetic ReShuffling.

It's not the best strategy in the world (like I said, I usually cut it very close, like 80-90% research), but it works pretty consistently for me. Hope it helps.
---
Phosphorus? Pfffft, who needs 'em?
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/5206/takeyourtime.jpg
#3HansxyzPosted 6/6/2012 7:38:23 PM
I competed this level with a little changes from Arsenic's.

Begin as what Arsenic has stated, only difference is to add points to Nucleic Acid Neutralization once in while. Add it when you add a point to Deactivate Modified Genes. This will prolong the time it take for your virus to become lethal.

Now the trick is this, by the time you have level 3 of DMG, NAN and GC,, there will be another option availible. Can't remember the name, should be something lethal or what. When you have infected everyone, activate that option instead of spending DNA on Symptoms. That will cause your virus to become 100% lethal. You will wipe out the entire population within a min!
#4ArsenicOverlordPosted 6/6/2012 8:05:02 PM
^^^^ I did not know about that option!! I'm gonna have to try that. :)
---
Phosphorus? Pfffft, who needs 'em??
#5ArsenicOverlordPosted 6/6/2012 9:25:46 PM
OK, just beat the Bio-Weapon on brutal with Unlock Annihilation Gene ability.

OH MAN, THAT WAS FUN!!!! XD

The lethality level on the graph shot through the roof, and you weren't kidding, the world got wiped out in less than a minute.

I think my new strategy for Bio-Weapon is to devolve every symptom (except Coughing and Sneezing, which will get noticed but won't trigger research), and get Bird 1 & 2, Rodents, Cold Resistance 1 & 2, and Drug Resistance 1 & 2. Not even gonna bother with Genetic Hardening or Genetic ReShuffle because the research won't even start as long as I get lethality in check with the three bio-weapon abilities. Make sure to have about 20-25 points by the time the whole world gets infected, and BOOM, Unlock Annihilation Gene ability, and insta-win. :D

Thanks for that tip. :)
---
Phosphorus? Pfffft, who needs 'em?
#6dxspaz22(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2012 7:57:56 AM
Thanks for the help guys!

Now if I could only get the USA to nuke china and russia. having a hard time with those achievements as well as the infect space station one.
#7kternPosted 6/11/2012 6:35:54 PM
I played bioweapon really similarly to nanovirus (with the added benefit of non-immediate detection, although that's cancelled out a little by the fact that you don't get insane cure delaying abilities) and won on Brutal with my first try. Since you've beaten nanovirus already if you have it, the same strategy might work again for you.

Just toss 1 point down to slow lethality gain at the beginning and boost infectiousness HARD. Detection is hard to avoid anyway, so I didn't bother selling back mutations, instead buying sneezing as soon as coughing developed. Sell the lethality slowdown later once people start dying.
#8danthonyblackPosted 6/12/2012 7:49:45 AM
To beat it just go to my walkthrough video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26kQ427DrAU&feature=plcp

For Bio-Weapon at any level. It's a Gene Compression first, asymptomatic strategy.
#9wakeuppmaggiePosted 6/12/2012 12:47:07 PM
Hansxyz posted...
I competed this level with a little changes from Arsenic's.

Begin as what Arsenic has stated, only difference is to add points to Nucleic Acid Neutralization once in while. Add it when you add a point to Deactivate Modified Genes. This will prolong the time it take for your virus to become lethal.

Now the trick is this, by the time you have level 3 of DMG, NAN and GC,, there will be another option availible. Can't remember the name, should be something lethal or what. When you have infected everyone, activate that option instead of spending DNA on Symptoms. That will cause your virus to become 100% lethal. You will wipe out the entire population within a min!

Literally made an account to hug you!!
*hug*
not only was that refreshing after beating my head into the ground for 2 days over this level, it was so much fun to feel as if I was finally "outsmarting the game"
:D thanks so much.
#10Slicer16Posted 6/18/2012 5:58:34 PM
it's to bad you were only reading someone else's strategy and then using it haha. I used a similar one when I beat it think I ended up with the cure only getting into the 30s.