What could a new game engine look like?

#1thunderl1psPosted 1/26/2013 6:19:53 PM
I'm just curious, if they have to build a new game engine from the ground up, what could they do to improve the current game? the foundation seems pretty solid. What do people want to see the gameplay /look change too?
#2Twizz810Posted 1/26/2013 7:02:44 PM
Better realistic looking models, Better collision detection, Less canned looking move animations, Different selling for moves based on superstar sliders and wrestlers placement/environment, Moves with higher impact, etc.
---
A BOY won't take care of his own kids, A MAN will raise his and someone elses
http://tiny.cc/tmnt
#3JoshCarleyPosted 1/26/2013 7:04:22 PM
This is funny to me. The foundation is pretty solid? With all due respect, the AI is awful, reversing is a joke, and many other aspects need repair. There is very little tension during the match. Not enough drama. Am I way off the mark here?
#4Pier81Posted 1/27/2013 10:15:00 AM
The current engine needs a total overhaul, it was good for the PS1/PS2, but with today's and next generation console it's very limited.

Have you ever played Assassin's Creed? I want a game that gives you that kind of freshness (at least with the first episode I had that 'woah' moment of something totally new and challenging) and freedom when controlling a player, something that it's friggin' time to have is to FEEL the difference when playing with a giant compared to a cruiserweight.

It's totally stupid that a punch from the Big Show is sold in the same way as a punch from Rey Mysterio. I have no doubts that a new engine would fix that, making all the experience more realistic.
---
I am twice the man that you are and I have half the brain that you do.
#5beansoldierPosted 1/27/2013 7:52:42 PM
Pier81 posted...
The current engine needs a total overhaul, it was good for the PS1/PS2, but with today's and next generation console it's very limited.

Have you ever played Assassin's Creed? I want a game that gives you that kind of freshness (at least with the first episode I had that 'woah' moment of something totally new and challenging) and freedom when controlling a player, something that it's friggin' time to have is to FEEL the difference when playing with a giant compared to a cruiserweight.

It's totally stupid that a punch from the Big Show is sold in the same way as a punch from Rey Mysterio. I have no doubts that a new engine would fix that, making all the experience more realistic.

So you want your wrestler to scale the arena and assassinate people?

As per the topic, I just want to see a more realistic submission system. It would be nice to counter a boston crab into a sharpshooter or something.
---
"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
But with strange aeons even death may die."
#6crazy_gamerguyPosted 1/27/2013 8:02:37 PM
A new engine would be great, but I think it's harder to come up for an engine for a fighting game than a regular sports game. I don't play many fighting games though does anyone know of a fighting game that had an engine that worked well?
---
Obama oportet percussit
#7Pier81Posted 1/28/2013 7:56:31 AM

beansoldier posted...

So you want your wrestler to scale the arena and assassinate people?

Actually that wasn't at all the point of my post, but it would be uber cool.
---
I am twice the man that you are and I have half the brain that you do.
#8VoltEFPosted 1/28/2013 9:34:07 AM
There are a lot of things that could change, but two of the biggest to me are move transitions and spatial awareness.

Look at real wrestling. When a guy counters a submission, the guy in the hold often transitions into a submission of his own. Alternatively, the guy who originally had the hold on can immediately slap another hold on without having to stand up, re-grapple the opponent, etc. There's a TON that a new engine could do to make the flow of one move to another look closer to real wrestling without it being so static.

Which is where spatial awareness comes in. There are two factors to this: 1. being able to instantly transition to moves based on where you are (e.g. following a kick out going directly into a submission); and 2. recognizing where the two wrestlers are in the ring and adjusting moves accordingly. Imagine a suplex turning into a slingshot suplex because the guy doing the move has his back to the ropes. Imagine a belly-to-belly tossing the victim over the top rope.

I don't think the current engine is capable of those things, but compare that with a game like Batman: Arkham City. Batman does different attacks if he's by a ledge as opposed to fighting in the middle of the area with no other structures around. Those are the kinds of things I'd like to see a new engine accomplish.
---
"Control electricity and you control the world."
-Shrapnel, The Transformers
#9ThekliqPosted 1/28/2013 12:08:22 PM
I'd rather area based reversals, maneuvers, and grapples.

Sure, the current games make you think that being in a headlock means you go for a side headlock takedown, but being able to put four hurricanranas from the arm wrenching position makes no chain grappling sense.

The grapple system needs a lot of work. It needs to be flavorful and reflective of the types and styles on the roster.

And geez, limit how many people actually get to springboard. It's not an ability to give super heavyweights. Its a trait that specific guys have. Once again, flavorful, reflective.

Honestly, don't rush this out. Let it simmer, focus on it.
---
http://z13.invisionfree.com/eccwfreturn2011/index.php?
#10kayoticdreamzPosted 1/28/2013 1:42:08 PM
Thekliq posted...
I'd rather area based reversals, maneuvers, and grapples.

Sure, the current games make you think that being in a headlock means you go for a side headlock takedown, but being able to put four hurricanranas from the arm wrenching position makes no chain grappling sense.

The grapple system needs a lot of work. It needs to be flavorful and reflective of the types and styles on the roster.

And geez, limit how many people actually get to springboard. It's not an ability to give super heavyweights. Its a trait that specific guys have. Once again, flavorful, reflective.

Honestly, don't rush this out. Let it simmer, focus on it.

aside from hacks super heavy weights cant do springboard moves as is....