What could a new game engine look like?

#11thunderl1ps(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 3:21:43 PM
I agree with everything that's being said... for the most part. It's just difficult to imagine what these changes would look like when for the past 15 years or so, we've had virtually nothing to compare it to. Some of the things I would like to see have to do with a proper weight collision system where there are pros and cons to using a bigger wrestler. I'd like to see more variety between the wrestlers and their movesets for ex. I want every wrestler to feel like an individual with his own specific moveset similar to how Street Fighters characters all play differently.I think beating more unique wrestlers would add a sense of accomplishment that these games lack. If I beat John Cena or someone else who doesn't lose often, I should feel like I had to really strategize to get the win, not just out reverse him.
#12sdrawloPosted 1/28/2013 5:37:22 PM
i think a wrestling game is harder to pull off than regular sports because it's not a real contest. How does a game engine take into account the showmanship, the drama? Aside from taunts and whatnot, that is...

a dude making a comeback, hitting his finisher, and winning after getting his ass kicked for an entire match happens in pro-wrestling, but something like that is hard to recreate in a videogame. Once a guy gets beat up pretty good in a wrestling videogame- he'll be in the red and pretty easy to beat. Chances are, the finishing moves aren't strong enough to suddenly win the match for him... (and if so, people will complain that finishers are too strong;))

I don't know if I'm making sense to you guys... but I think most wrestling games are pretty much structured to where you just try to do as much damage to your opponent while avoiding his moves... hitting your finisher- then winning. As such, it's just a fighting game... and pro-wrestling matches are a lot more than that.

just my 2 cents...
#13garcia_jxPosted 1/28/2013 6:33:42 PM
No more plastic looking models, please.
#14DeathMagnetic80Posted 1/28/2013 10:13:17 PM
You know what.... even better bumping and selling would be great.... I'm sick of hitting a standing drop kick and they do that stupid thing where they kinda flair a bit in place and fall slowly. Plus... I dunno how to describe it, but wrestlers feel like they are all Gumby or something with now they flair from stuff.
---
RIP A7X71180 4/14/2006-12/24/2011
2012 San Diego Chargers 7-9
#15ICEman MorgsPosted 1/28/2013 11:54:46 PM
sdrawlo posted...

a dude making a comeback, hitting his finisher, and winning after getting his ass kicked for an entire match happens in pro-wrestling, but something like that is hard to recreate in a videogame. Once a guy gets beat up pretty good in a wrestling videogame- he'll be in the red and pretty easy to beat. Chances are, the finishing moves aren't strong enough to suddenly win the match for him... (and if so, people will complain that finishers are too strong;))

... That's why the current system has literal Comeback moves from getting beaten too bad, where you get your sig. Hit your sig, and your finisher becomes more powerful. Add in a Wake-Up Taunt and you're all the way there.

If you were literally just getting pummeled the whole match though, with barely any offense, realistically you shouldn't be able to win just from a comeback - otherwise, what incentive would anyone have to be the one doing the initial beating?
---
ICEman Morgs' Ignore list: Making GameFAQs a better place.
GT: Morgneto
#16teamparadox2kPosted 1/29/2013 5:52:52 PM
sdrawlo posted...
i think a wrestling game is harder to pull off than regular sports because it's not a real contest. How does a game engine take into account the showmanship, the drama? Aside from taunts and whatnot, that is...

I don't know if I'm making sense to you guys... but I think most wrestling games are pretty much structured to where you just try to do as much damage to your opponent while avoiding his moves... hitting your finisher- then winning. As such, it's just a fighting game... and pro-wrestling matches are a lot more than that.

just my 2 cents...

You make perfect sense and I agree. What they need is a new GRAPHICS engine and probably physics too. Ditch havok its not good enough for this. Try natural motion or design a custom physics engine. Lay a new graphic engine on top that has a better skeletal system for animations and for the love of god some better faces lol. Refine the gameplay engine but don't change it. The physics alone will fix a lot of gripes such as clipping and weight/move differences.
---
Now Playing: Rage (PC) [8] - Deus Ex(360) [9] - Forza 4 (360) [9.5]
XBL GT/PSN id-d0x360
#17darkrizPosted 1/30/2013 2:40:26 PM
Please end mini games I hate them.
---
"great, we have 16 gordbusters now... how about some wrestling moves. WWE 12 just had two armdrags and a headlock takedown." - Wolf_J_Flywheel
More topics from this board...
Through a tablery111618/18 2:23PM