F-abilities??

#1ExCoOpsPosted 10/4/2012 11:12:25 PM
I am having problems learning F-abilities, though I met the requirements in my bard who have already learnt Swift Shanty, he is not learning the F-ability hastega, am I doing it wrong?
---
Blah blah.
#2SketchiePosted 10/4/2012 11:51:42 PM
There may be two problems on why you're not learning Hastega.

One problem is that you do not have White Magic equipped. To learn Hastega, you need to either be a White Mage with Sing, or a Bard with White Magic. It will allow you to learn Hastega.

Another issue is that for some F-Abilities, it will require you to use one of the two skills required to trigger the F-Ability a lot. You may get it off at the first try, you may finally learn it several battles later. It's completely random.
---
Became a Sage on 7/11/08! ^_____^
#3GoodluckBuckPosted 10/5/2012 6:21:28 AM
Sketchie posted...
There may be two problems on why you're not learning Hastega.

One problem is that you do not have White Magic equipped. To learn Hastega, you need to either be a White Mage with Sing, or a Bard with White Magic. It will allow you to learn Hastega.

Another issue is that for some F-Abilities, it will require you to use one of the two skills required to trigger the F-Ability a lot. You may get it off at the first try, you may finally learn it several battles later. It's completely random.

This.

There's no secret sauce to learning F-abilities more quickly. Just make sure you have both requisite abilities equipped, and then spam one or both of them until the Fusion takes place. Sometimes it happens on your first try, and sometimes it happens on your 50th try.

Some people theorize that the higher-end abilities take more tries to learn, though I doubt it. I've tended to get pretty lucky with most of mine. Learned Phantom Rush in one try, Hastega in three or four tries, and Final Heaven in five to ten tries. It seems to be completely random.
#4holyknight14Posted 10/5/2012 7:50:01 AM
Perhaps a useful note is that the strength of the monsters you're facing doesn't seem to affect F-ability learning rate at all. So it can be nice to find weak monsters to learn supportive F-abilities since you can just set the game on Auto and do something else until you learn whatever you're after.
#5GothannPosted 10/7/2012 2:24:22 AM(edited)
Yep, just set your game's cursor setting to "Memory", equip the right abilities to learn the F-Ability you want, then make all of your non-learning characters defend while you spam the lowest MP costing ability with your target character via Auto. If you're a bit paranoid, slap a Ribbon on the character.

Best place to do this is obviously any early-game cave. Deist Cave is a great area.

Ooh, one more note: If your F-Ability requires a magic attack, it's best to use Doublecast and double-spam that magic ability instead of using the other once per turn.

GoodluckBuck posted...
There's no secret sauce to learning F-abilities more quickly. Just make sure you have both requisite abilities equipped, and then spam one or both of them until the Fusion takes place. Sometimes it happens on your first try, and sometimes it happens on your 50th try.

Some people theorize that the higher-end abilities take more tries to learn, though I doubt it. I've tended to get pretty lucky with most of mine. Learned Phantom Rush in one try, Hastega in three or four tries, and Final Heaven in five to ten tries. It seems to be completely random.

Yeah, I've had to grind quite a few hours to get Magic Bomb 1 and Magic Bomb 3, but got Magic Bomb 2 on my second try. It has to be completely randomized with a set (I'm guessing sub-50%) chance for all F-Abilities. I DID notice that the first time you manage to use one doesn't use up any MP. I managed a Hastega against one of the late game bosses when I simply forgot to remove the Bardsong skill from my Seer.
---
Fair does not exist. Fair is a word from a world of happy fantasies.
#6slartiferPosted 10/7/2012 6:43:46 AM
Not only that, you can discover the F-Ability even if you don't *have* enough MP to cast it. You just need enough MP to cast the one component spell, but as you mention that MP isn't consumed in the discovery, either.

Hmm... if you use Chain Magic and the first cast triggers learning an F-Ability, do you still get the second cast? If so, this is one way that (in theory, under very unlikely circumstances relying on a huge amount of luck) you could use two F-Abilities in one turn.
#7GothannPosted 10/7/2012 7:29:42 AM
slartifer posted...
Not only that, you can discover the F-Ability even if you don't *have* enough MP to cast it. You just need enough MP to cast the one component spell, but as you mention that MP isn't consumed in the discovery, either.

Hmm... if you use Chain Magic and the first cast triggers learning an F-Ability, do you still get the second cast? If so, this is one way that (in theory, under very unlikely circumstances relying on a huge amount of luck) you could use two F-Abilities in one turn.

Yes, if you Doublecast Flare twice you can potentially learn Gigaflare, then cast your second Flare.

So yes, it's very likely that someone could learn Magic Bomb and Magic Bomb 2 in a single turn, provided you're amazingly lucky.
---
Fair does not exist. Fair is a word from a world of happy fantasies.