An Idea

#1pnpdarrelPosted 10/6/2012 5:41:00 AM
Okay, so considering how great of a game this is, what if SE, instead of doing this SNES style game, had done one that functioned exactly like it, but had FF XIII's appearance? I mean, the (single) ATB gauge, the different jobs and the chapters, but all of it in "3D" and voiced. How do you think the fan-base would like that?
---
Some people want the the best of the best. Me, I'll take everything that they don't.
#2holyknight14Posted 10/6/2012 6:33:47 AM
That'd be the perfect game for me, but, I'm sure people will find a way to yell and scream about it regardless.
#3GothannPosted 10/6/2012 12:11:38 PM
That's exactly the kind of game I'd want from a new Final Fantasy: A 3D, high fantasy game with wonderful visuals and a somewhat simple story based on FF1-6's tropes.

You have no idea how disappointed I was when Final Fantasy XIV looked exactly like that kind of game, only to have the "ONLINE" appear under the title. I nearly flipped a table in disgust.
---
Fair does not exist. Fair is a word from a world of happy fantasies.
#4pnpdarrel(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 7:23:05 PM
Exactly. The thing I would love to see most though, are the fusion abilities and summons. Just imagine summoning Alexander, and your party being protected by a holy aura as he shoots lasers from the sky! Or Aigis charging for a Final Heaven, and then blowing the enemy away. *sigh* why can't dreams be true?
---
Some people want the the best of the best. Me, I'll take everything that they don't.
#5holyknight14Posted 10/6/2012 7:57:06 PM
There are people who think that FFD has shallow gameplay compared to FFXIII. I'm not saying which way is right, but, that's why games like this are a dying breed.
#6GothannPosted 10/7/2012 1:53:33 AM(edited)
holyknight14 posted...
There are people who think that FFD has shallow gameplay compared to FFXIII. I'm not saying which way is right, but, that's why games like this are a dying breed.

Those people would actually be right: This game is limited by the fact that it's simply a throwback to FF1-5. If it was a console, numbered title? The Dwarf crafting system would be vastly improved, the Job/Ability system would be tweaked to allow a bit more diversity (with accordingly adjusted enemies/progression), and there would be a ton more F-Abilities and actual magic/skills.

Short of adding more substance in all of those actual gameplay fields, this game has *more* storyline progression than FFXIII (albeit it's a standard "Chosen Warriors" story, though FFXIII was exactly that as well), less character development, more personal tragedies (akin to FFIII and FFIV, in a way)... Meaning this is a different game, yet by no means any more substantial/shallow than another in the main FF series.

That, and I've seen the pro-FFXIII people trolling this board. All of their arguments ring hollow to me, since I absolutely loved FFXII, which is considered FFXIII's absolute opposite.

If there's one interesting feature of FFXII I'd want in FFD? Gambits. They were made for a game with Auto Battle. If that were possible, I wouldn't need to switch out of the mode on the off chance any Coeurl manages the Doom version of Blaster while grinding AP/tails/fangs. Let's face it: grinding is what made me stop caring about maxing my characters in Final Fantasy once it hit PSOne/PS2. Why? Because loading times made it worse than it ever should have been. Gambits in XII made it fun for me again.
---
#7odinoPosted 10/7/2012 1:50:47 AM
Well, I think FF9, FF12 are kind of like the old ones' styles in ATB gauges and mechanics, jobs, equipment etc, but with high-end graphics for that time. I think FF13 went the wrong way, FF14 is just a mess... end of franchise as we knew it.
#8GothannPosted 10/7/2012 1:59:29 AM
FFXII wasn't anything like the older games, since there were no jobs at all. You could eventually gain enough AP in the "vanilla" edition of the game to master everything with the exception of a few extra skills and summons. That effectively made everyone "Jobless" by the end of the game/with a lot of mid-game grinding.

The premise, setting, monster designs/names/families, suggested jobs and character development were akin to Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Unsurprising, since Yasumi Matsuno (the director of the first two games I named) was the original director of the game before he bowed out for health reasons.
---
#9slartiferPosted 10/7/2012 6:54:55 AM
Unfortunately, FF12's "everyone can do everything, everyone's the same!" deal was all too much like some of the older games. In FF6, although everyone had one unique command, there were very few commands (and items) that were not overshadowed by being able to learn the most powerful magic spells, and everyone could do that... and have access to all of them, always. No picking and choosing needed. Likewise, although everyone had unique stats, the permanent bonuses you could get from espered level ups made those differences less significant. This also applies, to a lesser degree, to FF7.

The most "old school" thing about FF9, IMHO, was that it actually enforced differences between characters! It had to go all the way back to FF4 for that...
#10GothannPosted 10/7/2012 7:23:09 AM
I actually consider FF6 to be part of the "newer games". It was the first time the setting wasn't purely high fantasy and the first time Sakaguchi stopped driving the whole show like he did with the five previous ones.

So yeah, FFXII was more like the post-Sakaguchi games in that it allowed every single character to be a very slightly specialized walking god, not a character limited by its job.
---