New to game... Any tips for using the Witch King???

#1BMAN270Posted 1/2/2013 10:38:29 AM
Just picked this game up for the start of the new year and I have been really enjoying it. However I am a HUGE fan of the Witch King (I even own a real replica of the Witch King's sword) but every time I try to use him I get destroyed... :(

I have read his description and it tells me that he is in essance a Tank like character who is supposed to draw away attention from more squishy allies or to run as a front line "Defender" who stalls or stops the enemy from getting to the more vunerable characters. The problem is that I can't seem to be able to do that very well if at all. Not to mention that I can't dish out the damage that others do so I can't really help in that way...

I am looking for any tips on how to be effective with him. Relic setups ect... Any help would be appreciated.
---
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BMAN270-1988/hero/10488232
#2sojuPosted 1/2/2013 12:14:39 PM(edited)
I always upgrade his Malice (A button) ability first and foremost. It drains the life away from people who get near you. t also boost damage of you first melee attack after casting it. I usually go between it and the taunt ability until Death becomes available. No matter what guardian you use, you have to be careful early on. Witch King is no different. Keep an eye on your health, and retreat if you think you'll be in trouble.

A lot of people go with a health build for him. Personally, I haven't had an effective health build yet. He gets some small bonuses for max health, but I find an ability power build works best for me. One relic I use in all my Witch King builds is the Shadows Reach Relic. It drains health like his Malice ability, and the two combined will have people dropping like flies.

He's by far my favorite character. Have fun with him. If at first you don't succeed, try something else. You'll find a build that works for you.
#3randomsentinelPosted 1/2/2013 12:38:34 PM
the popular build for him online right now is iron hills relic, health relic, and caradhras. out of the defenders WK probably does the most damage from a baseline perspective, and with an entire tank loadout he is really hard to bring down. doesn't matter if you don't do a lot of damage if they can't outlast yours.

for the gems just throw in 3 ability resist and 3 attack resist for some balance, or whatever else you think. i don't remember what his stats are at 14. early game you are still squishy, but at level 10 you start being really hard to kill.
---
www.youtube.com/user/xShuffleFM - LPs! CoD! GoME!
Fighting Games! Stuff! Rathalos for MVC3!
#4Brendy_BoyPosted 1/2/2013 1:07:00 PM
I love witch king for tank. I have a full max health belt for him.

IMO, level the skills in the order Y > X > A > B.

Level ult first when available (as with almost all champions).

His X button is great to level second because it increases the taunt time greatly, providing a lot of CC for your carries to act on.

His A is next because it does good damage and does damage around him while the passive is on.

Definitely level B last. It is his least useful skill. It's ok for chasing down enemies while your X (taunt) is on cooldown or getting his passive ready, but not useful for much else.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: Brendover
PSN: BabyInABrender
#5BMAN270(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 1:57:16 PM
Ok, thanks for the info guys. I am going to take everyone's thoughts and suggestions and see how I do. As was said, I'll keep working at it and seeing how I do. Thanks again.
---
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BMAN270-1988/hero/10488232
#6AnubisGhostPosted 1/4/2013 1:34:11 PM
don't forget to have a notebook with you, for when you're kicking ass and taking names
#7sojuPosted 1/4/2013 6:15:39 PM
I tried the build randomsentinal posted, and it works very well. I think it's the first health build I've actually had work for me.

I realized, though, that I hadn't posted my personal best build.

Relic 1 - Shadow's Reach with Ability Power (2) and Attack Speed (1) gems
Relic 2 - Seat of Seeing with Ability Power (1) and Ability Penetration (1) gems
Relic 3 - Orthanc with Ability Penetration (1) and Ability Power (1) gems

I'm not sure if he really needs to have the Ability Penetration that I've stacked on him, but this is by far my most successful build. I'm telling you, Shadows Reach plus Malice equals carnage.