Controls are lame.

#1demollyonPosted 2/10/2013 7:53:03 PM
Sprinting by pressing the left thumbstick? Is this CoD? God, why don't they offer an update to customize the controls, or offer the Xbox version layout as an option?

id, I am disappoint.
#2wheepitupPosted 2/10/2013 8:41:24 PM
Agreed, the controls are worse than a last gen port, proper controls are important.
---
Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/decayedmatter
#3EternalDahakaPosted 2/10/2013 9:36:02 PM
They said months before release the controls would be changed to resemble modern control setups. This shouldn't have been such a surprise,

wheepitup posted...
proper controls are important.

"Proper" fits the current setup just fine. But what about how the original DOOMs play? Oh noes, they don't have the same controls the PS1 and 64 versions did. id really has gone down the pooper.
#4wheepitupPosted 2/10/2013 9:40:18 PM
EternalDahaka posted...
They said months before release the controls would be changed to resemble modern control setups. This shouldn't have been such a surprise,

wheepitup posted...
proper controls are important.

"Proper" fits the current setup just fine. But what about how the original DOOMs play? Oh noes, they don't have the same controls the PS1 and 64 versions did. id really has gone down the pooper.

There's one thing with changing the controls for the better. It's another thing changing them for the worse.
---
#5EternalDahakaPosted 2/10/2013 9:47:15 PM
wheepitup posted...
There's one thing with changing the controls for the better. It's another thing changing them for the worse.

That's exactly why I added that analogy. The control preference is entirely subjective. Many players hate the modern console controls for the originals and preferred using the tank controls with L1/R1 for strafing. DOOM3's controls are the same way. I might have agreed with you initially, but I've come to much prefer the new controls over the previous.
#6PostalDudesHerePosted 2/10/2013 9:55:20 PM
I have to agree and disagree with you TC. the controls are just fine and work great but I do think that they should've added the xbox version controls as an option or just added the ability to fully personalize your controls (a feature lacking in the majority of games).
---
bet you didn't think you'd die today? SURPRISE!
#7demollyon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 9:57:54 PM(edited)
wheepitup posted...
Agreed, the controls are worse than a last gen port, proper controls are important.

EternalDahaka posted...

lol, I knew you guys would come here.

Now, before we begin with the "who's trolling who". Let me explain that I see where you both come from.

On one hand, wheepitup hates the game, and posts about its flaws (arguably strongly). I saw all your videos, thanks for the analysis it was cool.

On the other hand, EternalDahaka and PostalDudesHere are somewhat overly defensive of this version.

Now, Doom 3 is my favorite game. I have the Xbox version, the PC version and the BFG version for the Xbox 360. As I said, I watched wheep's videos and while there are no game-breaking issues, I decided to wait, and I bought it last week for a mere 10 new.

Yeah, I wish there were no issues, but at this price, I can't complain much. What I can complain about, though, is that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have only 2 layouts with no difference. Seriously, I don't know what id was thinking. Running will wear down your thumbstick and isn't comfortable in the first place. Why won't they release an update? The first 2 updates cost nothing to the developer.

And yes, I knew about pressing the LT to run, and bought that in spite of that, but seriously, no sane man would choose this layout over the original Xbox one.
#8wheepitupPosted 2/10/2013 10:06:30 PM
demollyon posted...
wheepitup posted...

EternalDahaka posted...

lol, I knew you guys would come here.

Now, before we begin with the "who's trolling who". Let me explain that I see where you both come from.

On one hand, wheepitup hates the game, and posts about its flaws (arguably strongly). I saw all your videos, thanks for the analysis it was cool.

On the other hand, EternalDahaka and PostalDudesHere are somewhat overly defensive of this version.

Now, Doom 3 is my favorite game. I have the Xbox version, the PC version and the BFG version for the Xbox 360. As I said, I watched wheep's videos and while there are no game-breaking issues, I decided to wait, and I bought it last week for a mere 10 new.

Yeah, I wish there were no issues, but at this price, I can't complain much. What I can complain about, though, is that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have only 2 layouts with no difference. Seriously, I don't know what id was thinking. Running will wear down your thumbstick and isn't comfortable in the first place. Why won't they release an update? The first 2 updates cost nothing to the developer.

And yes, I knew about pressing the LT to run, and bought that in spite of that, but seriously, no sane man would choose this layout over the original Xbox one.

I respect your opinion.
---
#9PostalDudesHerePosted 2/10/2013 10:20:30 PM
" and I bought it last week for a mere 10 new."

very nice deal. and like I said, I do agree that they should've added more controller options, and yeah, I've never been a big fan of holding the stick down to sprint (BF:BC had this and it made my thumb sore).
---
bet you didn't think you'd die today? SURPRISE!
#10EternalDahakaPosted 2/10/2013 10:47:01 PM

Perhaps, but I'm just trying to dispel some of the extreme hate I believe to exaggerated.

Maybe I'm insane. :P But I've played a few games before this that have used that "hold-to-run" control scheme so it wasn't that big of a change to me.