Why are they doing this to the Ratchet & Clank series?

#1OldDirtyCRPosted 11/27/2012 1:20:08 PM
They had solid ideas and game mechanics (Crack in time/Tools of Destruction/older games), and then suddenly they just completely change everything up and try to go some weird ass multiplayer game direction. Now they go tower defense...

I don't understand what prompted this sudden complete revamp of a tried and true successful model that's worked for years. Is it some kind of desperate cash grab/way to reduce development costs?

Who here actually likes the direction they are going with the series and is happy to see the "old" setup gone? Has Insomniac said if they are going to release a "traditional" ratchet game ever again, or is it just going to be mini game style games from now on..
#2Ebak_the_catPosted 11/27/2012 1:56:38 PM
They like to try something new. No matter how much something is tried and tested...if you don't change something about the mechanics, you usually invite critics to say "It hasn't changed...and thats bad" I don't agree with the direction, but at least we're getting a new R&C game and most likely they will have a 'classic' game come out within the next two years. This is supposed to be a small budget title like Quest for Booty.
#3legionofpancakePosted 11/27/2012 2:22:51 PM
What's so wrong with tower defense? If you want to get technical, the side missions in Up Your Arsenal were more or less this exact same thing, just with less emphasis.
---
Well, Courtney Gears didn't seem to mind.
88 Fingers Louie were a hardcore punk band. 88 Fingers Eddward was a nickname on Ed Edd'nEddy. Pretty cool reference.
#4OldDirtyCR(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 4:24:26 PM
I will admit that I was more upset with all 4 one, as that was a full priced game. I feel that the time spent on this would have been better spent on a "classic" Ratchet. The last thing I want to happen is have the series die because they stray to far from the original model and lose fans/money.

You can evolve upon an idea and keep something fresh without having to completely change the whole game or abandon everything about the series.
#5MrElgawargPosted 11/27/2012 4:50:52 PM
I see All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault as what they are: spinoffs. Insomniac never once said that this is going to be the new direction that all R&C games are going to be taking. Yeah, they kept the co-op multiplayer, but it looks to be more done in a Ratchet Deadlocked style rather than what we had in All 4 One.

The moment we get a Ratchet & Clank game in the main series that is utter trash, I'll get worried. Something like Sonic 06 wouldn't of had the same impact if that wasn't considered to be the next Sonic Adventure. That, and they're asking for what, $20 for this? I can understand the complaints about All 4 One when that was a full-priced game, but it's pretty clear that this is a much more experimental title.

Don't get me wrong though, I absolutely adore Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time, and I want to see another full-fledged single-player Ratchet & Clank too.
#6LukeStrife5Posted 11/27/2012 8:34:29 PM
Good Lord. It's a spin-off people. All 4 One and FFA are just different game attempts. The same way Mario can still have platforming games while he releases Kart Racers and Party Games. It's just something different.
---
www.doabarrelroll.net
#7OldDirtyCR(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 9:49:37 AM
LukeStrife5 posted...
Good Lord. It's a spin-off people. All 4 One and FFA are just different game attempts. The same way Mario can still have platforming games while he releases Kart Racers and Party Games. It's just something different.

Which is why I asked if Insomniac has commented on whether there are any plans for a 'classic' ratchet and clank. If not, then for all we know "all 4 one" is the future of ratchet and clank.
#8vgman94Posted 11/28/2012 12:09:09 PM
OldDirtyCR posted...
They had solid ideas and game mechanics (Crack in time/Tools of Destruction/older games), and then suddenly they just completely change everything up and try to go some weird ass multiplayer game direction. Now they go tower defense...

I don't understand what prompted this sudden complete revamp of a tried and true successful model that's worked for years. Is it some kind of desperate cash grab/way to reduce development costs?

Who here actually likes the direction they are going with the series and is happy to see the "old" setup gone? Has Insomniac said if they are going to release a "traditional" ratchet game ever again, or is it just going to be mini game style games from now on..

I can't see how people don't get bored of "tried and true" formulas being released with tweaks over and over. I mean improving a formula for a time is great, but after a while, it exhausts it's life span. Those minor tweaks are simply not enough. I like A4O, but it's not because I dislike the old set up. In fact I enjoyed ACIT more than A4O, but the point is the new direction clearly has potential for building something bigger. IMO, future sequels to A4O should have bigger, more expansive levels with quests that require to split and regroup the team and add more puzzle elements that required more thought. The levels themselves should have been more free-roam inspired with some linear requirements, and the weapons need more thought put into them, or to bring back some old weapons that haven't been used, like the Agents of Doom. I feel A4O, while not as great as other titles in the series, was still great fun with it's co-op and has potential to be even better than the old style if it's formula is developed correctly and I feel that that's a better direction than driving the series - using the same old formula - into a ridiculously stagnant cycle of repetition. No offense intended.
#9OldDirtyCR(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 2:04:35 PM
vgman94 posted...
OldDirtyCR posted...

I can't see how people don't get bored of "tried and true" formulas being released with tweaks over and over. I mean improving a formula for a time is great, but after a while, it exhausts it's life span. Those minor tweaks are simply not enough. I like A4O, but it's not because I dislike the old set up. In fact I enjoyed ACIT more than A4O, but the point is the new direction clearly has potential for building something bigger. IMO, future sequels to A4O should have bigger, more expansive levels with quests that require to split and regroup the team and add more puzzle elements that required more thought. The levels themselves should have been more free-roam inspired with some linear requirements, and the weapons need more thought put into them, or to bring back some old weapons that haven't been used, like the Agents of Doom. I feel A4O, while not as great as other titles in the series, was still great fun with it's co-op and has potential to be even better than the old style if it's formula is developed correctly and I feel that that's a better direction than driving the series - using the same old formula - into a ridiculously stagnant cycle of repetition. No offense intended.

Zelda maintains the same formula but brings new features and generally a refreshing experience each release. Most people I know who enjoy the series have yet to get bored of it. The 3D Mario line is the same way. They've kept the same basic mechanics but evolved upon it each release (64 -> Sunshine -> Galaxy -> Galaxy 2).

It's quite possible to have the gameplay stay similar but add new features and improve on old ones.

Anyways, I'll agree to disagree with you.
#10adam_kps2Posted 11/28/2012 10:03:15 PM
I'm happy that we get more R&C. It's a spin-off, it is a low price and it is fun.

I'd rather get this filler R&C whilst waiting for the next big adventure than nothing.
---
PSN ID: unicronic