Looks another Castlevania game with lots of silence instead of music

#1shadestreetPosted 11/4/2012 10:07:53 PM
I am worried this game is going to have a soundtrack like Lords of Shadow - one filled with long sections of silence. Those trailers are making me nervous... can't believe how badly the dropped the ball on the music in LoS...assumed this would right that wrong.
#2Shad0wDancePosted 11/4/2012 10:10:18 PM
Not sure what people want from the soundtrack...it's not an enclosed space metroidvania that should be accompanied by constant jingles. If the atmosphere calls for something more minimalist they shouldn't divert from it just for nostalgia's sake.
---
I spread conflict and enmity everywhere I go, who am I?
#3Yami_SashaPosted 11/4/2012 11:03:16 PM
Not sure what people want from the soundtrack...it's not an enclosed space metroidvania that should be accompanied by constant jingles. If the atmosphere calls for something more minimalist they shouldn't divert from it just for nostalgia's sake.

Classicvanias did really well with music too (possibly better than most Metroidvanias) so I see no excuse for them not to give us the music we want. Even throw in already made classic tunes from the series rather than boring silence or dull music.
---
This was once Super Japans Top3 before the name change
http://backloggery.com/yami_sasha
#4shadestreet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2012 11:32:27 PM
Not sure what people want from the soundtrack...

Excellent music that perfectly fits the atmosphere? You know, like almost every single other Castlevania in the 15+ game franchise featured?

it's not an enclosed space metroidvania that should be accompanied by constant jingles. If the atmosphere calls for something more minimalist they shouldn't divert from it just for nostalgia's sake

It's not like the series became known for having exceptional music once SotN came out. Despite the changes in structure, gameplay, etc - if there was one thing that tied the franchise together, whether it was a platformer, puzzle game, metroidvania, 3-D adventure, or 1 on 1 fighter, was incredible music.

That was somehow lost with the release of Lords of Shadow, and based on the trailers I have seen so far, looks to repeat with this game.
#5Robin_MaskPosted 11/5/2012 12:58:16 AM
shadestreet posted...
I am worried this game is going to have a soundtrack like Lords of Shadow - one filled with long sections of silence. Those trailers are making me nervous... can't believe how badly the dropped the ball on the music in LoS...assumed this would right that wrong.

Is the music that big of a deal? That's quite the exaggeration there.

Different developers, different tastes.

At least Mercury Steam tried something with new music and giving it an epic sound, instead of just rehashing the same songs for the past 26 years.
---
Most biased gaming article: http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/33395/league-of-legends- crowns-itself-most-played-video-game-in-the-world
#6Gaawa_chanPosted 11/5/2012 6:03:47 AM
shadestreet posted...
It's not like the series became known for having exceptional music once SotN came out. Despite the changes in structure, gameplay, etc - if there was one thing that tied the franchise together, whether it was a platformer, puzzle game, metroidvania, 3-D adventure, or 1 on 1 fighter, was incredible music.

That was somehow lost with the release of Lords of Shadow, and based on the trailers I have seen so far, looks to repeat with this game.

Agreed, but to be fair, LoS doesn't have 'bad' music; it just doesn't leave any particular impression that gives the series a unique identity like before... It sounds like a typical movie soundtrack. If you played it without playing the game, you'd never be able to guess who the composer was or even that the music was for a game. The same problem has never existed before in the series; it's always had a strong musical identity. I can't help but feel that was taken away in an effort to homogenize the series as if that would somehow appeal more to 'the masses.' Maybe it does. But I don't like it.
---
"Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error." - Linus Pauling
#7shadestreet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2012 7:55:19 AM

Yes, it really is that big of a deal. Regardless on the quality of the game, a Castlevania fan always knew at the very least we would have an amazing soundtrack - take Lament of Innocence for example, it was a very bland game, but had probably the 3rd best soundtrack in the series and a regular album I listen to.

At least Mercury Steam tried something with new music and giving it an epic sound, instead of just rehashing the same songs for the past 26 years.

I guess you mute the game if you play them? You would know that recycling of music is very rare in the franchise - aside from Castlevania online (Harmony of Dispair) and 2001's Circle of the Moon, every game has almost a completely original soundtrack. Occasionally a bonus mode might feature "Vampire Killer", or for continuity sake you get "Dance of Illusion" at Dracula, but your statement is wrong.
#8Robin_MaskPosted 11/5/2012 8:40:09 AM
shadestreet posted...

Yes, it really is that big of a deal. Regardless on the quality of the game, a Castlevania fan always knew at the very least we would have an amazing soundtrack - take Lament of Innocence for example, it was a very bland game, but had probably the 3rd best soundtrack in the series and a regular album I listen to.

I guess you mute the game if you play them? You would know that recycling of music is very rare in the franchise - aside from Castlevania online (Harmony of Dispair) and 2001's Circle of the Moon, every game has almost a completely original soundtrack. Occasionally a bonus mode might feature "Vampire Killer", or for continuity sake you get "Dance of Illusion" at Dracula, but your statement is wrong.

Woah, looks like you got some rough words, about muting the game and all.
---
Most biased gaming article: http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/33395/league-of-legends- crowns-itself-most-played-video-game-in-the-world
#9MasterInfernoPosted 11/5/2012 12:23:01 PM

Recycling songs? Comparatively rare outside the occasional series standard, but recycling chord progressions, song structures, similar melodies, etc., shows up in basically every CV game. This isn't necessarily a bad thing since the music is so damn good, but to say each soundtrack is "completely original" is patently false.
---
I did not say this. I am not here.
#10shadestreet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2012 2:57:37 PM
Recycling songs? Comparatively rare outside the occasional series standard, but recycling chord progressions, song structures, similar melodies, etc., shows up in basically every CV game. This isn't necessarily a bad thing since the music is so damn good, but to say each soundtrack is "completely original" is patently false.

You left off my full quote - "almost completely original" - as in, typically around 85%-90% of the music is original.

Most Castlevania games have 2 or 3 recycled songs out of around 20 songs in total - notable exceptions I pointed out as Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Despair as recent examples, the later of which is a completely recycled game so that is expected.

Reusing 2 or 3 themes per game in a series is quite low compared to the average franchise recycle rate. Simons Quest, Bloodlines (not counting the alt music using the hidden cheat), Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness have I believe entirely original soundtracks; SCIV, Rondo, are on the higher side with 3 each.

In that "2 - 3" estimation I am including song which are heavily modified arrangements (like the interpretation of Richters theme in SotN).

Not sure how to take recycling chord progressions, song structures, that leaves a lot of interpretation - you could take that to draw the similarities of the Halo theme to MGS theme if one chose.