So this i going to be a real game, right?

#11kirusuPosted 11/22/2012 1:32:49 PM
The_crag posted...
This going to be an actual game and not an interactive movie like Lords of Shadow, right? As long as the gameplay is nowhere near as sluggish and unresponsive as LOS we should be in good shape.

dude dont ask that question this generation, or they all call you fanboys or nostalgic fanboy and what not or metroidvania fanboy. honestly if you saw what happened in the first game naturally it would happen here.
---
i never laughed soo much in my life
#12WiiareVenomPosted 11/22/2012 4:25:13 PM
Its more about calling it not a game. How many of the classics of ALL genres were linear? quite a few.
---
You must let your anger be as a monkey in a pinata, hiding inside with the candy, hoping kids don't breakthrough with a stick.
#13WiiareVenomPosted 11/22/2012 4:26:14 PM
kirusu posted...
The_crag posted...
This going to be an actual game and not an interactive movie like Lords of Shadow, right? As long as the gameplay is nowhere near as sluggish and unresponsive as LOS we should be in good shape.

dude dont ask that question this generation, or they all call you fanboys or nostalgic fanboy and what not or metroidvania fanboy. honestly if you saw what happened in the first game naturally it would happen here.

This is a side scroller.
---
You must let your anger be as a monkey in a pinata, hiding inside with the candy, hoping kids don't breakthrough with a stick.
#14SpiralDriftPosted 12/6/2012 7:27:06 PM(edited)
It was more acceptable for games to be linear when the technology limited what could be done. Times have changed and it's now a fair complaint.

There's also a huge difference between open-ended 2D vs 3D games. You can't really compare them in that regard.
---
Do unto others what your parents did to you.
#15CTBradumsPosted 12/9/2012 11:20:56 AM
The_crag posted...
...or Im pointing out that the game was one of the most restrictive, yet non-linear (not a good combo) games Ive ever played. Of all the ares I saw and thought "I'm gonna try to get up there/ get in there" I could actually get to maybe 2 of them.

So...the game is an interactive movie, yet you're complaining because you suck too much to get past two parts of exploration? Sounds like you played the game for five minutes, got frustrated because the game required thinking, and quit.

It's not even THAT harsh on the thinking, considering they let you cheat and auto-solve puzzles to make it easier on people who can't figure them out...
#16LSKTHEKINGPosted 12/11/2012 10:33:56 PM
CTBradums posted...
The_crag posted...
...or Im pointing out that the game was one of the most restrictive, yet non-linear (not a good combo) games Ive ever played. Of all the ares I saw and thought "I'm gonna try to get up there/ get in there" I could actually get to maybe 2 of them.

So...the game is an interactive movie, yet you're complaining because you suck too much to get past two parts of exploration? Sounds like you played the game for five minutes, got frustrated because the game required thinking, and quit.

It's not even THAT harsh on the thinking, considering they let you cheat and auto-solve puzzles to make it easier on people who can't figure them out...

The only thinking you had to do was on those complex trials which made the game hard in that sense
#17RedMage NicoPosted 12/13/2012 5:04:28 PM
kirusu posted...
WiiareVenom posted...
That is fair as far as the exploration goes. But itis still a combat based game, and Does not deserve to be refered to as an interactive movie in that respect. The original Castlevania was linear and restrictive but combat based. They all can't be Metroidvania.

here we go again with comparing castlevania to metroid lol fanboys

Well, a pretty significant portion of the series did use what's now known as the "Metroidvania" game type, so it doesn't seem too silly to compare the two series. But maybe I'm misunderstanding something?
---
Why are Red Mages so red?
#18SoaringDivePosted 12/18/2012 3:46:45 PM(edited)
SpiralDrift posted...
It was more acceptable for games to be linear when the technology limited what could be done. Times have changed and it's now a fair complaint.

Or the fact that game design is an actual thing. If every game were some non-linear "Metroidvania" (ugh), then the gaming industry would be full of the same game over and over again with nothing left to explore mechanically or narratively.

It's acceptable for games to be linear, and it's also acceptable for games to be a sandbox, and it's acceptable for games to be a combination of both. Not all games have to fall under the one category you just happen to enjoy.

EDIT: The series started out as linear, action games. LoS is a 3D evolution of that, incorporating more "modern" tropes. Why can't a game be similar to how the series started out? Why is it that when DmC reboots and becomes different than the original series, everyone hates it, but when Castlevania reboots itself to become more similar to the original series than newer titles - it's terrible as well?
---
PM me if you add me (I won't bite... hard)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#19WiiareVenomPosted 12/18/2012 4:34:55 PM
SoaringDive posted...
SpiralDrift posted...

Or the fact that game design is an actual thing. If every game were some non-linear "Metroidvania" (ugh), then the gaming industry would be full of the same game over and over again with nothing left to explore mechanically or narratively.

It's acceptable for games to be linear, and it's also acceptable for games to be a sandbox, and it's acceptable for games to be a combination of both. Not all games have to fall under the one category you just happen to enjoy.

EDIT: The series started out as linear, action games. LoS is a 3D evolution of that, incorporating more "modern" tropes. Why can't a game be similar to how the series started out? Why is it that when DmC reboots and becomes different than the original series, everyone hates it, but when Castlevania reboots itself to become more similar to the original series than newer titles - it's terrible as well?

This.
---