First person dungeon crawling issues

#1yarrmateysPosted 8/10/2012 1:28:43 AM
Has it been confirmed yet as to whether the game will feature environments conducive for a third person game, or will it be first person? I've only gotten into the SMT series in the previous gen, pouring in around 1500 hours across P3, P4, Nocturne, DDS, DDS2, Raidou 2, and DeSu.

My problem is that SJ was pretty much unplayable for me. There's something about the lack of smoothness when walking in a straight line when not holding down the up button and the turning animations which makes me figuratively vomit. I don't have such issues in FPS games, but only with SJ and the certain 'clunkiness' while moving around. Maybe because it's grid based and the movement is pretty much digital.

On that topic, does the EO series and the Soul Hackers reboot follow the same mould of first person dungeon crawling? I'm ready to sink in some dough for a 3DS but I'm doing a bit of research, I'd hate my killer apps to be unplayable.
---
--
-
#2MoranitePosted 8/10/2012 1:57:36 AM
All the first person Megami Tensei is like that. Etrian Odyssey, too.
---
The official Uriel of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Moranite
#3MetalLokiPosted 8/10/2012 8:34:57 AM
Reboot? It's a superport of the original(super as in it's awesome) so yes it's 1st person which it great.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Official tsundere fan of the NDF
#4LightHawKnightPosted 8/10/2012 10:00:28 AM
Don't even know what you are even babbling about with the movement in SJ.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
Me and polite have never been on close terms.
#5ZendaikPosted 8/10/2012 10:14:48 AM
Soul Hackers is like SJ. Don't know how EO controls exactly. But these first person RPGs are often pretty grid-based, so...

SMT4 hasn't been confirmed if it's first or third but I think it's likely that it's third considering they said they want SMT4 to be the next evolution of SMT, and that Nocturne was third person...
---
Monster Hunter Tri ID: Kirolos
#6Rasen543Posted 8/10/2012 10:47:47 AM
First Person gameplay never bothered me...
---
EARTHBOUND FANS, GO HERE :D
Luminehall.net
#7badboyPosted 8/10/2012 3:32:47 PM
I hope it's like Nocturne.
#8PaperShyGuyPosted 8/11/2012 8:20:14 AM
I always thought the first person gameplay really helped the atmosphere the first Shin Megami Tensei's tried to achieve. Made things more intense for me.
#9DynamicJumpIuffPosted 8/11/2012 11:42:08 AM
Zendaik posted...
Soul Hackers is like SJ. Don't know how EO controls exactly. But these first person RPGs are often pretty grid-based, so...

SJ used the same engine as EO.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#10ZendaikPosted 8/11/2012 12:26:38 PM
DynamicJumpIuff posted...
Zendaik posted...

SJ used the same engine as EO.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.
---
Monster Hunter Tri ID: Kirolos