Did anyone else feel like this series in general...

#1EnuoCalePosted 8/24/2012 4:57:09 AM
...Enhanced how many threads I'm going to make profoundly?

...oops. I mean...

...Enhanced their real-world perception of some things? (Which I assume is the obvious part. This isn't about that, directly, though. What I mean is...) Made them more open to ideological influences which are not directly common to them, or even more connected to those which are? I know to me, it made me find it much more likely to now want to collect various religious icons from things which I don't even necessarily believe in, because now, you can consider individual icons just a part of your "party" and contributing some ideological influence, rather than be the person who wouldn't be caught dead carrying something that might make someone think they're part of some random religion that they're not.

Now I'm on the path to getting a Buddha statue. Some angels. I could use a Ganesh. Moai for some reason... hell; I kind of even want a small baphomet, just because through it's dark-law vigor, looking up the original meaning of the symbol makes it seem a bit more congruent than the modern version. (cue certain types of people not wanting to visit me anymore.) So the compilation of these comes with you on your real life "ending" meaning you aren't necessarily there to believe in all of them, but that they represent taking in new helpful ideas to enhance your own.

...Is it just me?
#2_Matt_Engarde_Posted 8/24/2012 5:23:55 PM
inb4it'sjustagame

It's just a game. Darn it. I outwitted myself.
---
The official Metatron of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board and the official Matt Engarde of every board.
What is a troll? A miserable little pile of secrets!
#3Horsemanwar 2000Posted 8/24/2012 9:37:48 PM
Games like any form of media have the ability to inspire and effect you on an emotional level, it's a good thing this poster was stirred into expanding himself. So in reality there is no such thing as just a game, this is nothing more than a misconception born of the ignorant opinion that media like video games are not true art and therefore can not communicate ideas.
#4JimmyMimpsonPosted 8/25/2012 7:16:58 AM
Horsemanwar 2000 posted...
Games like any form of media have the ability to inspire and effect you on an emotional level, it's a good thing this poster was stirred into expanding himself. So in reality there is no such thing as just a game, this is nothing more than a misconception born of the ignorant opinion that media like video games are not true art and therefore can not communicate ideas.

Exactly. Games have brought me almost to tears with their stories on several occasions, and the Magicant sequence in Earthbound is one of the most beautiful parts of any story I've seen. Games are art.
---
Currently playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
#5the deck masterPosted 8/25/2012 10:12:28 PM
GAMES ARE ART....play the journey, heavy rain, odin sphere and silent hill, those 4 games validate my point...
---
Pokemon Soul Silver-2751-4253-5918.
#6EnuoCale(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2012 12:46:09 AM
It looks like... my point was miss...

I'm not talking about the game itself, but rather what things it makes one think of. I know the GAME is just a game. Real world icons used by hundreds of millions of people are not, however. Most of them may be "fictional," but the results of their existence in the form of ideas is very real in the societal formats and systems they generate. And seeing them all put together makes one realize the congruence many of them may have, even while many of the people using them see them as opposed. On a bigger level even than the ye olde "tolerant" "do whatever you want, we're all fine" people tend to think.

Also, if movies are art, games are definitely art. Movies far more closely resemble low quality pulp novels than games do in modern day.
#7Cheesepower5Posted 8/26/2012 7:27:37 AM
I like think this has already mostly been my specialty, since I've been into mythology for god(s) know how long.

I think the main reason each god or "demon" fits together is due to the nature of story-telling in general, in that most figures are the mutations of the same individual, or same set of archetypical characters. The purpose of a story is to pass along a moral, a notion that this is the way things should be. It follows that collecting these stories from around the world, you will find similar stories being told. You can see this effect, say, in Persona 2, which has two different, yet very similar demons in the chariot arcana: Taranis and Thor. Because of the way P2 is made, they share a model. They also share a background. You all know Thor, the Norse god of thunder. In old English, Thor was called Thunor. Starting to sound familiar? It's literally where the word thunder comes from. Taranis, as P2 will tell you, is the Celtic god of thunder. The Irish(a Celtic people) word for thunder is(was? I don't speak Irish Gaelic) Taran. So once again, the root for thunder.

So basically, they're the same guy. I know this because P2 made me look up Taranis.
---
Official Izanagi of the SMT IV board.