The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

"Mene, Mene, Tekel u-Pharsin"

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei IV
  3. "Mene, Mene, Tekel u-Pharsin"
3 years ago#1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXH5WRP36fA&t=1m43s

"Mene, Mene, Tekel u-Pharsin"

This phrase uttered in the trailer translates to "The handwriting on the wall", which serves as an idiom for "imminent doom or misfortune". It is also used to indicate a predetermined future.

The original context of this quote goes back to Belshazzar's feast in the Book of Daniel, where during a banquet hosted by king Belshazzar a disembodied hand appears writing that exact phrase. The prophet Daniel was summoned and interpreted this message as the imminent end for the Babylonian kingdom. That night, Belshazzar was killed and the Persians sacked the capital city. (source:Wikipedia)

Now this single quote along with some of the dungeon imagery gives us a lot of material to work with for speculating aspects of the story and the kind of world the game will be taking place in. I'm almost certain that we'll be seeing references to this particular passage from the Book of Daniel. What are some of you folks speculating will be showing up and how do you think it will be incorporated?

One thing I find interesting is that we haven't seen any trace of the moon or moon phases in the trailers, and yet the deity that Belshazzar worshiped was none other than the Semitic moon god Sin.
---
People seem to be confusing Hardcore with Mainstream.
Tempus fugit.
3 years ago#2
Well nice find. I mentioned about the absence of moon phase in the trailer thread also. There's the physical skill, Crescent Slice, whose power is strengthened during the first quarter of moon phase in the previous titles, but it would be very strange if the moon phase isn't indicated in anywhere of the battle UI. So I guess something terrible has happened to the actual moon, but don't take my word too seriously.
---
System refuses to display the signature because of SOPA.
3 years ago#3
Well there is the Kagutsuchi like structure shown in 2:59 maybe it's related to the lack of moon phase that and the phrase makes me wonder it there will be something related to the conception also. That phrase also can be related with the ali system if they decide to go to a kotowari-esque system again or just refering to the inevitable demon resurgence that will be present on the plot for sure
3 years ago#4
Wow, I fail at Wikipedia and reading comprehension in general. Apparently, the meaning of the phrase is supposed to be nonsensical on its own, referring to units of weights and measures. What the phrase says is "Two minas, a shekel and two parts". But taking the passive verbs from the phrase, you get "numbered, weighed, divided." Using the second translation makes more sense in context to the fall of Neo-Babylon to Persia.

Here is the passage from which Daniel decrypts the meaning of the phrase:

And this is the writing that was inscribed: mina, mina, shekel, half-mina. This is the interpretation of the matter: mina, God has numbered the days of your kingdom and brought it to an end; shekel, you have been weighed on the scales and found wanting; half-mina, your kingdom is divided and given to the Medes and Persians.- Daniel 5:25-28

And the second translation of the phrase corresponds with what kakashik99992 suggests could happen between the main characters as they all break apart to follow their own alignments/beliefs/reasons.

And since you also brought up about the appearance of a Kagutsuchi-like figure in the trailer, I'm just getting more and more curious on how they'll handle the whole Conception continuity here.

As you mentioned, Apollon, I too suspect something has happened to the moon here. I'm absolutely certain that the moon and deities associated with it will be playing a big role with its absence from its typical function.
---
People seem to be confusing Hardcore with Mainstream.
Tempus fugit.
3 years ago#5
It also refers to judgment; 'thou have been judged and art found wanting'.
---
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468723
Support the Wizardry: Town of Forsaken Spirits[PSN] Localization Initiative!
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei IV
  3. "Mene, Mene, Tekel u-Pharsin"

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived