Do you think Persona is partially to "blame" for SMTIV?

#1Distant_EarthPosted 9/20/2012 3:54:10 AM
I mean, undoubtedly Persona is definitely more popular and marketable than the main series now, do you think the remotion of Kaneko for Doi (definitely more "animeish") and the 2D battles (who seems much lower budget) is the result of Atlus believing less and less in the main series and trying to make it more appealing for the Persona crow?
#2Solar_CrimsonPosted 9/20/2012 4:05:58 AM
I don't think that Atlus--or rather, Index--believes less in the mainline SMT game so much as they see how popular the Persona series have become worldwide and want to invest more money into it rather than its other properties. I believe Persona is the first time that Atlus has had a globally-popular series on their hands.
---
http://backloggery.com/SolarCrimson - My Backloggery
http://i.imgur.com/jgRqR.png http://i.imgur.com/CsgLw.png http://i.imgur.com/zVchI.png
#3MoranitePosted 9/20/2012 4:06:25 AM
I try not to think too hard about it.
Besides, the Persona(3 & 4)fans are gonna look at this the same way they looked at the other... three? Four?
---
The official Uriel of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Moranite
#4ApollonPosted 9/20/2012 4:38:47 AM
Not really. Without P3 and P4, we wouldn't be able to see any news about SMT4 being developed. It was not wise either to develop SMT4 directly after SMT3 when the sales figure of SMT3 only met half of the expectation. So all they did was using the same engine and demon models to develop new spinoff titles to test which way the market went. When Raidou Kuzunoha and Digital Devil Saga 1 has proven commercially not very successful (the original plan for DDSaga series was a trilogy, but it was skimmed to a duology) P3 became the answer to Index. So my guess is Index did not want to approve the plan to develop SMT:SJ and SMT4, it was Maniax Team who had made some serious compromise with Index (SJ was outsourced to Lancarse by using Etrian Odyssey's engine to cut the cost) in order to squeeze the very scarce budget to make it happen.
---
System refuses to display the signature because of SOPA.
#5SkaldskaparmalPosted 9/20/2012 5:12:21 AM
Considering the game doesn't have the Engrishy Jpop and dull, dragging story of the modern Persona games, I don't think they're trying to appeal to that crowd much. And I don't even understand how you can make that argument using the 2D battles, since most of the people complaining about it are the modern Persona fans...
#6ZendaikPosted 9/20/2012 8:14:24 AM(edited)
Apollon posted...
Not really. Without P3 and P4, we wouldn't be able to see any news about SMT4 being developed. It was not wise either to develop SMT4 directly after SMT3 when the sales figure of SMT3 only met half of the expectation. So all they did was using the same engine and demon models to develop new spinoff titles to test which way the market went. When Raidou Kuzunoha and Digital Devil Saga 1 has proven commercially not very successful (the original plan for DDSaga series was a trilogy, but it was skimmed to a duology) P3 became the answer to Index. So my guess is Index did not want to approve the plan to develop SMT:SJ and SMT4, it was Maniax Team who had made some serious compromise with Index (SJ was outsourced to Lancarse by using Etrian Odyssey's engine to cut the cost) in order to squeeze the very scarce budget to make it happen.

Do you have a source that said Nocturne only met half expectations? As well as the DDS trilogy? Also they still ended up making a Raidou 2...
---
Monster Hunter Tri ID: Kirolos
#7The13thChyldPosted 9/20/2012 8:29:38 AM
A comparatively low budget is arguably a blessing in disguise.

It means they won't need to make as many concessions to appeal to the broadest possible audience, or to appease some of the newer fans.

If instead, they had allotted the game a much higher budget-- they would also need higher sales to justify that budget, which presently, would almost certainly mean moving further away from what makes the core series what it is.
---
Life is like an illusion, like a dream waiting to be awakened.
#8cj_iwakuraPosted 9/20/2012 8:48:36 AM
In a way, yes. Persona is now the flagship series for Atlus; it used to be SMT. A decade ago, we'd be seeing SMTIV on current gen consoles and Persona as a side-project.

SMTIV still looks great, but there's no question the company has a new focus now, and the loss of random battles(and Doi's art design) is definitely a result of Persona's influence.
---
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468723
Support the Wizardry: Town of Forsaken Spirits[PSN] Localization Initiative!
#9Lelouch71Posted 9/20/2012 9:09:35 AM
Skaldskaparmal posted...
And I don't even understand how you can make that argument using the 2D battles, since most of the people complaining about it are the modern Persona fans...

I seem to notice this being the case.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#10Over_ShinryuPosted 9/20/2012 9:29:45 AM
Zendaik posted...
Apollon posted...

Do you have a source that said Nocturne only met half expectations? As well as the DDS trilogy? Also they still ended up making a Raidou 2...

Okada and other staff member lef tAtlus is good enough ? It meet half of what Okada was expecting to sell.

DDS was a trilogy, but we will never know how it would end up to. And Okada by the time was expecting even more out of DDS... imagine 2 " failures " in a row lol.

Raidou 2 was even more outsourced than 1. See the credits on Devil Suvivor 2, if I recall, basic every aspect of the game as made by other companys expect music, story and character design.