Why would anyone choose Law or Chaos paths? *Series Spoilers*

#31BlueSophiaPosted 10/15/2012 10:19:26 PM
Holy_Oblivion posted...
May I ask what is so funny?

Because its hypocritical humor and an easy way out? You have to go deeper than that to garner anything more than a laugh.
---
Ardha of the SMT IV board. :3
So much sodium against the WiiU!
#32KGTriggerPosted 10/15/2012 11:10:39 PM
Most of the comments in this thread are hilarious.
---
PSN: PewPewPew809
3DS FC: 0344-9295-6089; Steam: Joben
#33Spektre41Posted 10/16/2012 4:18:49 AM
Holy_Oblivion posted...
May I ask what is so funny?

An anarchist posting on gamefaqs and dictating how he plays video games based on that belief is inherently hilarious?
---
``Haggar could pile drive the sun into Galactus' face.`` - YoungLegend
#34HollowNinjaPosted 10/16/2012 3:39:34 PM
In Overclocked, most endings that you pick have good things and bad things about them. And in SMT 1, the cannon ending is Neutral and well...we all know how fantastically that turned out.

It's all has to do with sticking to what you believe is morally right and following your convictions. In real life, if I saw things exactly as they were in the SMT series (in other words the clearly jackass YHWH and the morally ambiguous Lucifer), I would have a very hard time choosing a path. Because I would have a hard time separating the jackass YHWH with the creator that I believe in.

But in game, it's easy. Chaos all the way. I try to judge based on what I think is right, rather then what I know the endings will be because I've been spoiled. And I almost always believe in the Chaos pathway. Even if things are going to be hard, better humanity live based on their own principles then bow before a God that is clearly evil (or close to). SMT Lucifer might not always be good, but he's almost always better then SMT YHWH.

I feel mostly the same.
---
http://backloggery.com/hollowninja
Official Thor of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#35EnuoCalePosted 10/19/2012 1:56:41 AM
That's because the endings take place on a sliding scale of idealism to cynicism. Law and chaos aren't worse than neutral; you're just taking them with more cynical realists who don't plan on hiding the ugly realities of life from you. Neutral thinks that whatever you choose to ignore simply goes away, and presents it idealistic as such. Same as neutrall in real life.

(Example: In strange journey law and chaos paths, you first seem to be "brainwashing" the non following crewmembers into following you, but then realize once you get further into it that the neutral path was brainwashing those who chose those paths of their own accord into having to act neutral in a neutral society. You didn't realize it before since you were used to neutrality forcing people to comply, so you never had to see it actively. And those who naturally acted the way of the path you chose now simply got to act in their natural ways.)
---
Official Satan of the SMT IV board.
#36Dark_EpathyPosted 10/19/2012 5:20:24 PM
I generally lean towards Law, but I always favor the neutral endings in the games. It's arrogant to decide how everyone should live their lives--at least with the neutral endings, people have a choice.

There is the argument, of course, that the status quo is what causes all of the problems in the first place. Maybe I'm just too human for my own good.
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#37EmbraceChaosPosted 10/19/2012 5:59:03 PM
Gin_Devil posted...
Arayziel posted...
Neutral is boring. I also like the way Nocturne handled alignments, where neutral isn't so great after all.

I thought the neutral ending was when you turn back time?

It's actually a very subtle "You're doomed" ending.

The final boss basically states he WILL murder you and THEN restart the cycle. The main character's happy end is actually a false ending. It's no surprise considering Aradia is actually the Goddess of Falsehoods and NOT Freedom.

Personally, I prefer Chaos. Neutral is both bland and a cop out. Nothing gets resolved and humanity going back to square one is always a yawnfest since it'll just happen again.

Law is basically just joining the extremists of actual religious institutions.
---
"Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road - neither human, nor devil... All bends to my will."
#38ZeroX91Posted 10/19/2012 6:10:54 PM
I tend to lean towards dark neutral, I'll use Devil Survivor as an example, Naoya's schemes have no interest to me I just want to take over the world, nothing personal against god. I would probably kill Naoya and Kaido after the big battle was over. (assuming I win.) Then follow through with Atsuro's plan and set up a military dictatorship with me at the top.

On second thought that's not all that neutral is it?
---
Official Pyro Jack of the SMT IV board.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-0619LfyY
#39BlueSophiaPosted 10/19/2012 6:36:45 PM
EmbraceChaos posted...
Gin_Devil posted...
Arayziel posted...
Neutral is boring. I also like the way Nocturne handled alignments, where neutral isn't so great after all.

I thought the neutral ending was when you turn back time?

It's actually a very subtle "You're doomed" ending.

The final boss basically states he WILL murder you and THEN restart the cycle. The main character's happy end is actually a false ending. It's no surprise considering Aradia is actually the Goddess of Falsehoods and NOT Freedom.

Personally, I prefer Chaos. Neutral is both bland and a cop out. Nothing gets resolved and humanity going back to square one is always a yawnfest since it'll just happen again.

Law is basically just joining the extremists of actual religious institutions.

And that is exactly why you are not neutral. the mere fact that you see it as a copout is why you cannot comprehend its value.

The existence of Aradia is as a placebo and as a role, it is both freedom and flasehood at the same time because its value is in the beholder. The most defining aspect of this is in the structure of belief and conviction. It is not up to a god to create a path for you, you have to do it yourself. Aradia is certainly not going to help you, all she represents is the possible path to choose. The mere existence of her as a norm is to prove that there IS ALWAYS a choice.

For the most part, many games will feature a return to the norm ending, but with varying messages, but the most important of them is "you are on your own".

The best world is the one that is seized with ones own power and not shaped by someone else.
---
Ardha of the SMT IV board. :3
So much sodium against the WiiU!
#40Dark_EpathyPosted 10/19/2012 8:06:57 PM
Well, his username is EmbraceChaos. : |
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa