Why are the battles in 2D?

#11BlueSophiaPosted 12/3/2012 11:13:49 PM
superbaboonmanX posted...
i'm more annoyed that the game has first person battles now THATS a relic of the past

Etrian Odyssey.

Oh, and every other FPRPG. Seriously?
---
The official Ardha of the SMT IV board.
So much sodium against the WiiU!
#12AngelVanishedPosted 12/4/2012 1:49:47 AM
I know I complained about it earlier on in some random thread, but the battles being 2D is seriously one of the few things that's actually gonna have me thinking that this is an SMT installment.

I'm hoping that they still make first person dungeon crawlers as side entries to the main series, to be perfectly honest, in the vein of Strange Journey, because that's one of the things I'm missing the most from this title. And right when EO proves how ridiculously beautiful the 3DS can make first person dungeon crawlers, too. ;__;
---
The official Tiamat of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#13EnuoCalePosted 12/4/2012 1:58:30 AM
Because 3d is ugly and has limited ability for style even on most modern HD consoles, much less a tiny handheld.

Wow, that was hard.
---
Official Satan of the SMT IV board.
#14apollooooPosted 12/12/2012 1:22:57 AM
Because 3d is ugly and has limited ability for style even on most modern HD consoles, much less a tiny handheld.

this

animated HQ 2D sprites >>>>>>> half assed 3D sprites
---
Love is a kiss of a terminal bliss. from the smile on your face, to the line you rephrase will guide you to your love.
your love is a kiss, my undying wish
#15Ikilluha1Posted 12/12/2012 9:43:39 AM
MetalLoki posted...
We can fight 12 demons at onces plus the 4 models on you side which makes 16 models on screen, tell me how the f*** thats a good thing if they were 3d? I don't want to waste that much time on 1 battle to wait for all those models to do their thing.

This. That's why I didn't like Dragon Quest 8s battles. They took too long and felt tedious and boring to get through.
---
The official Mara of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://backloggery.com/Solar
#16faduePosted 12/12/2012 12:51:41 PM(edited)
Because 2D > 3D
#17MetalLokiPosted 12/12/2012 12:57:10 PM
Why did people bump this up? Tc never even came back.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Official Cookies 'n Cream/Shimapan fan of the IDF/NDF
#18Dersu_UzalaPosted 12/16/2012 11:37:24 AM(edited)
I completely agree with the TC.

Nocturne, DDS and DDS2 had gorgeous, stylish 3D battle graphics that didn't limit the game mechanics in any way. It was a true evolution for the series. There is no excuse for them to not have 3D battles on a system that's more than capable of handling them. This would never have happened had SMT IV stayed a PS3 title, as was intended.

I have NO interest in fighting floating cardboard cutouts in 2013, thanks. Don't act like it's anything other than a way for Atlus to cut corners and save on development money. Same with Etrian Odyssey and all those other modern Wizardry clones.
#19Dragard_KaosPosted 12/16/2012 11:56:11 AM
I don't understand some people. Visuals are just that. Visuals. I wouldn't care if it was 8bit. The mechanics and gameplay is what matters.

I'm glad that this game is gonna have first person battles and 2D sprites. Reminds me of Shin Megami Tensei, Shin Megami Tensei II, and Strange Journey. I'm a little saddened that the exploration is third person though, I'd rather it have been first person. I would have preferred them both in first person or both in third person =/
---
http://megidoladyne.webs.com <- Shin Megami Tensei news ^^
http://www.backloggery.com/dragard
#20MetalLokiPosted 12/16/2012 12:06:40 PM
Dersu_Uzala posted...
I completely agree with the TC.

Nocturne, DDS and DDS2 had gorgeous, stylish 3D battle graphics that didn't limit the game mechanics in any way. It was a true evolution for the series. There is no excuse for them to not have 3D battles on a system that's more than capable of handling them. This would never have happened had SMT IV stayed a PS3 title, as was intended.

I have NO interest in fighting floating cardboard cutouts in 2013, thanks. Don't act like it's anything other than a way for Atlus to cut corners and save on development money. Same with Etrian Odyssey and all those other modern Wizardry clones.

WAHHH it's not on the ps3 so imma bash the gameplay.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Official Cookies 'n Cream/Shimapan fan of the IDF/NDF