Do you think SMT IV will fare better than P4G?

#91sharinguyPosted 2/2/2013 11:11:27 AM
MetalLoki posted...
sharinguy posted...
MetalLoki posted...
sharinguy posted...
shampoowarrior posted...
The massive size of the 3DS installbase compared to the Vita's makes me think SMTIV has a pretty good shot of outselling Golden in Japan at least.

Installbase isn't the sole factor into sales for example 3rd parties on the wii vs ps3/360 or the 3DS and Vita miku games.

Persona just caters to a wider range of people so it will most likely sell more than the main series regardless of the platform.

It hardly sold and with the whole SMT x FE thing I can't really see SMTIV do less then it.

what are you talking about P4G is the second best selling SMT/Persona portable game behind P3P. P4G has sold better than any SMT game on the DS and 3DS and the reason is because it appeals to broader audience. Now if the 3DS gets a persona title it will sell more than P4G

P3P: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/37829/shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-portable/

P4G: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/62901/persona-4-the-golden/

DeSu1 : http://www.vgchartz.com/game/30981/shin-megami-tensei-devil-survivor/

DeSu2 :http://www.vgchartz.com/game/50650/shin-megami-tensei-devil-survivor-2/

Strange Journey : http://www.vgchartz.com/game/36725/shin-megami-tensei-strange-journey/

Desu Overclocked : http://www.vgchartz.com/game/45687/shin-megami-tensei-devil-survivor-overclocked/

Soul Hackers : http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70948/devil-summoner-soul-hackers/

soul hackers has the benefit of not being out on NA yet but I doubt it will sell enough to outsell strange journey or the desu games. Only way to outsell P4G is to make a Persona 3DS game that way they would appeal to the broader audience on the system with the biggest install base.

A)VGchartz is very unreliable

B)Persona sold only a little more the 50,000 in Dec which is a huge sales season.For a so called system seller that is very bad.

I was stating worldwide numbers though and VG charts is only unreliable on new numbers on old ones they are reliable because they fix the numbers to match the NPD and the japan one (forgot the name)
---
PSN: Dorman_777
Pokemon Black FC: 5414-9379-0757
#92MetalLokiPosted 2/2/2013 11:13:34 AM
The problem is that after the first media create p4g drop off of it so we don't know the #s for it after that. The NPD for p4g were like I said a little more then 50,000. I'll take your word for it but I still think that the SMT X FE game will push some units.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board and
Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem board.
#93sharinguyPosted 2/2/2013 11:24:43 AM
MetalLoki posted...
The problem is that after the first media create p4g drop off of it so we don't know the #s for it after that. The NPD for p4g were like I said a little more then 50,000. I'll take your word for it but I still think that the SMT X FE game will push some units.

oh yeah SMTXFE has the potential to sell more because it caters to both the SMT and FE fanbase and its on a console.

My argument is that SMTIV has a high chance of not selling more than P4G because persona 4 sold extremely well in japan. Heck the the sale in Japan alone are better than the worldwide sales of the other portable games.

When we consider the 50k it sold in NA in December that is still half the lifetime NA sales of the other games in one month and if the game has 1/4 of the legs it has in japan it will surpass the other games except maybe P3P by the end of the year.

SMTXFE might have the potential to change this if it grabs enough of the FE fanbase into the SMT one but SMTIV is coming before it(I think). Alas a persona title on the 3DS has the potential to outsell the original P4 and maybe even reach a million units sold.
---
#94MetalLokiPosted 2/2/2013 11:39:02 AM
sharinguy posted...
MetalLoki posted...

oh yeah SMTXFE has the potential to sell more because it caters to both the SMT and FE fanbase and its on a console.

My argument is that SMTIV has a high chance of not selling more than P4G because persona 4 sold extremely well in japan. Heck the the sale in Japan alone are better than the worldwide sales of the other portable games.

When we consider the 50k it sold in NA in December that is still half the lifetime NA sales of the other games in one month and if the game has 1/4 of the legs it has in japan it will surpass the other games except maybe P3P by the end of the year.

SMTXFE might have the potential to change this if it grabs enough of the FE fanbase into the SMT one but SMTIV is coming before it(I think). Alas a persona title on the 3DS has the potential to outsell the original P4 and maybe even reach a million units sold.

I disagree, just having persona in the title would do nothing unless it's a copy of p4. There is a reason that p1/2 still haven't done new person numbers.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board and
Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem board.
#95sharinguyPosted 2/2/2013 12:00:16 PM
MetalLoki posted...
sharinguy posted...
MetalLoki posted...

I disagree, just having persona in the title would do nothing unless it's a copy of p4. There is a reason that p1/2 still haven't done new person numbers.

But that would imply that a new persona won't be like P3/4 at least in theme and presentation which we know won't happen. Atlus is not gonna kill its cash cow like that
---
#96kratoscar2008(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 12:25:12 PM
MetalLoki posted...
sharinguy posted...
MetalLoki posted...

True, if itsnt called P4 Platinum 3DS it wont sell that good.
---
The official Vulcanus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV boards
#97Lelouch71Posted 2/2/2013 2:15:16 PM
sharinguy posted...
But that would imply that a new persona won't be like P3/4 at least in theme and presentation which we know won't happen. Atlus is not gonna kill its cash cow like that

P5 is already confirm to be a new experience like P3 was to P1/P2. Atlus isn't afraid of changing things up instead of sticking with the status quo. Besides it's high time the social sims stuff disappears. It's already stale and outlived its usefulness.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#98CaptainMoosePosted 2/2/2013 10:21:40 PM
It could sell more, just for the fact that like 10x more people have 3DS's then vitas.
#99DW7stillrulesPosted 2/10/2013 7:04:43 PM
SilentHeroSMT44 posted...
I started with P1 on the PSP and then moved straight into SMT 1 and 2, then P3, onto Strange Journey, then DeSu 1 and 2.
Too poor to afford any of the DDS games or Nocturne, so watching LPs.
There's no such thing as me fan voting over one part of this massive universe.
As long as they make great games with great music, I'll be buying them. Who cares what fanboys think? I like it all.

P1 is more like a regular SMT game, so it was easier for you to get into the main series while appreciating the good aspects of P3 as a STAND ALONE game.

In my Personal opinion Persona 3 and 4 should be labeled something else because they are nothing like Persona 1 and 2.

How anyone can have more fun killing bland blobs of tar disguised as "shadows" than well known mythological creatures is anyone's guess.

Interestingly enough I actually got into SMT through DemiKids without ever knowing about SMT, and then years later played Devil Survivor 1 and finally bought a lot of the other games.
---
PSN ID: ravenith12
#100ArgonisgemaPosted 2/10/2013 11:11:23 PM
DW7stillrules posted...
SilentHeroSMT44 posted...
I started with P1 on the PSP and then moved straight into SMT 1 and 2, then P3, onto Strange Journey, then DeSu 1 and 2.
Too poor to afford any of the DDS games or Nocturne, so watching LPs.
There's no such thing as me fan voting over one part of this massive universe.
As long as they make great games with great music, I'll be buying them. Who cares what fanboys think? I like it all.

P1 is more like a regular SMT game, so it was easier for you to get into the main series while appreciating the good aspects of P3 as a STAND ALONE game.

In my Personal opinion Persona 3 and 4 should be labeled something else because they are nothing like Persona 1 and 2.

How anyone can have more fun killing bland blobs of tar disguised as "shadows" than well known mythological creatures is anyone's guess.

Interestingly enough I actually got into SMT through DemiKids without ever knowing about SMT, and then years later played Devil Survivor 1 and finally bought a lot of the other games.

how was demikids for you? i did not make it far cause i got bored of it real quick.
---
The Official Garm of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Shin Megami Tensei a game Where you can give GOD the finger .