New to this series...

#1Belmont_92Posted 1/23/2013 11:25:09 AM
Hey, sorry if this topic has been done to death on other SMT boards but I'm looking for some advice on where to start in this series.

I know very little about this franchise, and really got curious about it thanks to the crossover with Fire Emblem.

So basically, which is the best game for new players? Is it like Final Fantasy in the sense that each game has a new set of characters? And finally, the games I see the most often are Persona 3 and 4, and Devil Survivor. Does their gameplay have many similarities to the main series? Thanks.
---
Currently Waiting for:
Fire Emblem Awakening, Blazblue Chrono Phantasma, Castlevania Mirror of Fate
#2MetalLokiPosted 1/23/2013 11:37:03 AM
Nope. If you want to try something close to this look for Strange Journey(DS) or Nocturne(PS2).
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Lamia, Harpy, Centaur, Slime and Mermaid.....Next is?
#3Solar_CrimsonPosted 1/23/2013 11:39:06 AM
Do you know Pokemon?

Shin Megami Tensei is kind of like it, except about a decade older and typically much darker. In most of the games, the main character fights "demons" (which is a catch-all term for any mythological figure, be it pixies, trolls, actual demons, gods, and even angels), but the twist is that s/he can also talk them into joining him. Most of the time, this is the only way to gain new party members, as the main character would go it alone most of the time. Another thing is that in order to power up your demons, you have to fuse them together to make a more powerful demon. You're encouraged to do this often to keep your party strength up. Most games are turn-based RPGs, but some games in the series play differently, though; Devil Survivor is a tactical RPG x turn-based RPG hybrid; the PS2 era Devil Summoner games are action RPGs; Persona 3 and Persona 4 don't have demon negotiations or "demons" period, instead those demon are Persona for the main character to equip and fuse as he sees fit.

Most games in the series are self-contained, with a new cast of characters, but some games also form continuities with other. For instance, the currently most popular continuity is the Persona 3 and Persona 4 one, which takes place about 2 years apart.
---
http://backloggery.com/SolarCrimson - My Backloggery
The official Okuninushi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#4Solar_CrimsonPosted 1/23/2013 11:48:33 AM
Also, a big theme in most of the games (especially the main series) is how you want the story to play out. You are typically given two fractions with opposing goals: Law, which wants to create a world of peace under God but remove free will; and Chaos, which wants to preserve free will under Lucifer's guidance but revert the world into a dog-eat-dog anarchy. Neither side is presented as the right or wrong choice, but there is also another side: Neutral, which recognizes the need for some aspects of both and goes on to oppose both sides usually in the best interests of mankind as it is now.
---
http://backloggery.com/SolarCrimson - My Backloggery
The official Okuninushi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#5Strain42Posted 1/23/2013 12:04:14 PM
Honestly, this game does seem like it will be a good introduction to new fans.

The games do a pretty good job of being kept separate. Unlike Final Fantasy, almost the entire MegaTen franchise (which consists of several different series) takes place in the same universe.

But they don't exactly tie into each other, and when they do it's not always specifically for important story details.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona Won M-F)
#6Pandora012Posted 1/23/2013 12:56:29 PM
If you are talking anything related to SMT then I would say try Devil Survivor or even Persona 2, 3, or 4 first. If you want the main series I would recommend Nocturne, though Strange Journey if you want to play the first two games.
---
The official Vishnu of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
The official Hito-Shura of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#7Belmont_92(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 1:56:56 PM
Thanks for the responses! I was just looking at the series in general not just this game, so I guess I'll look out for Nocturne or Strange journey to give the main series a try.
---
Currently Waiting for:
#8MetalLokiPosted 1/23/2013 2:02:50 PM
Belmont_92 posted...
Thanks for the responses! I was just looking at the series in general not just this game, so I guess I'll look out for Nocturne or Strange journey to give the main series a try.

Just make sure to never get attached to anything in the games.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board and
Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem board.
#9Belmont_92(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 4:11:34 PM
MetalLoki posted...
Belmont_92 posted...

Just make sure to never get attached to anything in the games.

You mean the demons? Are they incredibly expendable?
---
Currently Waiting for:
#10dmljrPosted 1/23/2013 4:27:09 PM
demons? most likely,(i haven't played SJ, but thats what it would refer to in Nocturne)

expendable? not really, just harder to keep them leveled (stats)to be useful, compared to recruiting/fusing new ones. Also their skill set will eventually be outdated also.
---
psn id: dmljr xbox360 id : Sword of Dawn Wii: 0186 9165 8762 2178