If I loved Nocturne but was meh on Etrian Odyssey..

#11Doubleglock18Posted 1/29/2013 11:31:23 AM
IlluminaZer0 posted...

Also is it just me, or is the protagonist in SJ really weak compared to the Demi-Fiend gameplay wise? I just cannot make the SJ MC compete with end-game demons. Whereas nothing could match the power of an optimized Demi-Fiend in Nocturne.

just to respond to the part about the SJ MC being weaker than the Demi-Fiend, i mean the SJ MC was a regular human. he basically has power armor that get's stronger, but he personally doesn't change much. he doesn't use magic, he uses guns and bullets (which i loved btw)

the Demi-fiend is practically a demon himself and arguably one of, if not THE, strongest protagonist in the series, main or otherwise. and he is a fiend who amongst the more powerful class of demon's running around. sure as hell isn't human anymore.

bottom line, the Demi-fiend got a great deal of power and the potential to grow it beyond pretty much everyone. SJ MC got a gun, power armor, and his balls. which isn't much against demons, but hey, that's what talking is for right?
---
Colt 45 and two zig-zags, Baby that's all we need
We can go to the park, after dark, smoke that tumbleweed!
#12IlluminaZer0Posted 1/29/2013 8:07:09 PM(edited)
Doubleglock18 posted...

That's why I emphasized gameplay over lore. While Demi-fiend > SJ protagonist by a seemingly disgusting degree, comparing Demi-fiend to the DDS and Persona (3/4) protagonists is much more contended.

I would count Raidou too, but the gameplay is so different that it wouldn't be fair to compare... But he is far superior to his demons as well.

Aside from that, the lore may be more debateable as well. Consider that SJ's protagonist defeated Mem Aleph. Mem Aleph seems to be superior to both Kagutsuchi and Lucifer from a lore perspective. It's possible that SJ's protagonist takes "Badass Normal" to pretty extreme lengths.

Oddly enough I preferred the Demi-fiend punching demons to SJ's Swords+Guns.
---
Official claimant of Mem Aleph for the theoretic cause of promoting Shin Megami Tensei IV of the 3DS.
#13ZeldiasPosted 2/2/2013 11:04:17 AM
IlluminaZer0 posted...
Doubleglock18 posted...

That's why I emphasized gameplay over lore. While Demi-fiend > SJ protagonist by a seemingly disgusting degree, comparing Demi-fiend to the DDS and Persona (3/4) protagonists is much more contended.

I would count Raidou too, but the gameplay is so different that it wouldn't be fair to compare... But he is far superior to his demons as well.

Aside from that, the lore may be more debateable as well. Consider that SJ's protagonist defeated Mem Aleph. Mem Aleph seems to be superior to both Kagutsuchi and Lucifer from a lore perspective. It's possible that SJ's protagonist takes "Badass Normal" to pretty extreme lengths.

That's because running up to Dante, Thor, Metatron, Satan, and what is apparently the core of Time itself and punching them in the mouth is probably the most bad-ass thing to happen in RPG history.
---
Look! The East is burning red!
#14Cheesepower5Posted 2/2/2013 11:30:36 AM
Zeldias posted...
IlluminaZer0 posted...
Doubleglock18 posted...

That's because running up to Dante, Thor, Metatron, Satan, and what is apparently the core of Time itself and punching them in the mouth is probably the most bad-ass thing to happen in RPG history.

More or less, yeah. His FISTS know Pierce.
---
Official Naga Raja of the SMT IV board.
Currently playing: Catherine and Far Cry 3
#15IlluminaZer0Posted 2/2/2013 1:52:29 PM(edited)
Zeldias posted...

No objections there. ;)

Addendum: I'm assuming that by "Satan" you mean "Lucifer." Don't forget they are different entities in SMT.
---
Official claimant of Mem Aleph for the theoretic cause of promoting Shin Megami Tensei IV of the 3DS.
#16Doubleglock18Posted 2/2/2013 6:10:34 PM
IlluminaZer0 posted...
Doubleglock18 posted...

i'm almost positive that the only way the SJ protagonist managed to kill Mem Aleph is through the use of his demons. i mean it is WAY too easy to get one shotted, even with a good team and you wouldn't deal nearly enough damage. basically SJ guy is Badass normal and Demi-fiend is badass abnormal. and Demi-fiend is definitely stronger on a whole 'nother level
---
Colt 45 and two zig-zags, Baby that's all we need
We can go to the park, after dark, smoke that tumbleweed!
#17Bigmac909Posted 2/3/2013 2:45:47 PM
I loved SJ, hated EO. It's amazing how SJ's controls can be SO MUCH BETTER than EO's when you consider what the games are like, and how controls shouldn't even be an issue.
---
Eh, it's like 2 or 3 people who post a lot, making it look like more people hate the game than is actually true. -LordRattergun
#18DynamicJumpIuffPosted 2/3/2013 3:02:23 PM
Bigmac909 posted...
I loved SJ, hated EO. It's amazing how SJ's controls can be SO MUCH BETTER than EO's when you consider what the games are like, and how controls shouldn't even be an issue.

I don't get what you're trying to say here.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#19Bigmac909Posted 2/3/2013 4:05:31 PM
^Yeah that was poorly worded. What I'm trying to say is that SJ's controls>EO's controls, even though the games are so similar that the controls shouldn't be that much different. Like... the margin for error in the controls for games like these shouldn't be big enough to where it matters, yet it does matter. I'm trying to say that EO messed up something really simple that one wouldn't even consider as something that COULD be messed up. By "messed up", I mean relative to SJ's controls.
---
Eh, it's like 2 or 3 people who post a lot, making it look like more people hate the game than is actually true. -LordRattergun
#20DynamicJumpIuffPosted 2/3/2013 4:07:01 PM
Ah okay. I can see that for the first two games. Especially the first one.

But I think EO3 trumps them all in that regard.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma