They shoulda made the battles in 3rd person like SMT Nocturne

#1Devilman_AmonPosted 4/25/2013 1:41:39 AM(edited)
and with 3D enemies. Making it 3rd person to navigate but then 1st person to fight and battle enemies that are 2D on a system that promoted 3D (literally) makes no sense.

Even DQ VII remake wised up and made the battles in 3rd person...and Etrian Odyssey made the jump to 3D enemies specifically to take advantage of this system's strong points...

Ah well too late now. Maybe next game..
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#2kratoscar2008Posted 4/25/2013 1:43:53 AM
You are not the first nor the last disspointed with this however be aware that the fanbase here (Excluding me) doesnt care about 3D battles (Nor consoles) so i advice to be prepare your flame shield.
---
The official Vulcanus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV boards
http://www.gaijinworks.com/ Support CoH 2 Physical release.
#3kefka_teaPosted 4/25/2013 1:54:11 AM
Nah.
#4Devilman_Amon(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 1:58:40 AM(edited)
kratoscar2008 posted...
You are not the first nor the last disspointed with this however be aware that the fanbase here (Excluding me) doesnt care about 3D battles (Nor consoles) so i advice to be prepare your flame shield.

like...okay or....whatever--dude I don't obviously care if I get flamed you should realize that just by knowing I made this topic or whatever.
Like, how the hell can Atlus justify using minimalistic effort when they have other games far exceeding that even from the past. Freakin SMT Nine for original XBox even has a more unique look to it and that game went relatively unknown. The Devi Summoner games still look good for this age (Atlus is reprinting them btw as PS3's PS2 emulator don;t seem to run them good or whatever).

Like, wtf, are we fighting card board cut outs now or whatever? I mean, jeez,, I said this for so long with the EO series alone on the NDS. They out of all game series were the last I expected to get with the times and evolve before SMT.

Games should evolve just like anything else that's created. You try to improve things. You try to take advantage of the tools that are presented to you with new tech or whatever.
Like, that's what happens when you design ****. Fanboys need to stop being so damn stubborn and nostalgic or whatever.
Atlus is just selling you guys wolf tickets and y'all are just eating them up.
Pretty sure if they actually did what I said, none of the fanboys would be complaining; they take whatever is thrown at them without question...or whatever...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#5kratoscar2008Posted 4/25/2013 2:02:46 AM
Devilman_Amon posted...
kratoscar2008 posted...

they take whatever is thrown at them without question...or whatever...

They are already doing it :/
---
The official Vulcanus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV boards
http://www.gaijinworks.com/ Support CoH 2 Physical release.
#6IamthekuzalolPosted 4/25/2013 2:11:47 AM
I feel the same as you TC but this place is filled with lots of extreme SMT fanatics, you aren't even allowed to say even one bad thing about the game. Be prepared to be bombarded soon.

Instead of making such a great series on the consoles, they have to make it on freaking 3ds, facepalm.
#7SkaldskaparmalPosted 4/25/2013 2:37:20 AM
Devilman_Amon posted...
Etrian Odyssey made the jump to 3D enemies

Etrian Odyssey also has a tiny amount of enemies compared to this game. I like that series too, but EO4 has like less than ten enemies per dungeon, outside of the maybe two unique FOEs you might run into. It also still has first person battles, not that I mind, but it's probably not a good game to use for your argument because of that.

You can talk crap about how they're somehow limiting this game, yet it has the highest demon count out of any game in the series. Nocturne and the other 3D games don't even have 200. Not to mention the relatively poor animations in the 3D battles (demons and characters sliding around with few frames of animation, among other things) or the bland, sometimes ugly, environments of the game worlds.
#8DragoonGriffithPosted 4/25/2013 2:49:35 AM
I actually prefer turn-based games with 1st person battle systems (Mother series, DQs, Old SMT... etc.).

So yeah, I feel the complete opposite about it.

The battles tend to be much faster in 1st person (no stupid loading of attacks like the PS2 used to struggle with on games), and on top of that... I mean really?
What changes?

Having them in 3rd person is just an aesthetic change, nothing more.
It doesn't enhance anything, and don't give me that "immersion" bullcrap.
---
DQ: VII > V > VI > VIII = IX > III > IV > I > II
#9Zangan_ZackPosted 4/25/2013 3:06:01 AM(edited)
I prefer the older-SMT style battles. Going from Strange Journey to Nocturne was kind of a pain in the butt. Mainly because you have the same amount of random battles, but they take three times as long to finish in Nocturne just from waiting for animations to commence and finish on each and every attack. I found myself getting really burnt out with Nocturne just from the incessant random battles that plague it.
---
XboxLive GT: ReinbachThe3rd
Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, Bioshock Infinite, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
#10Devilman_Amon(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 3:07:20 AM
DragoonGriffith posted...
I actually prefer turn-based games with 1st person battle systems (Mother series, DQs, Old SMT... etc.).

So yeah, I feel the complete opposite about it.

The battles tend to be much faster in 1st person (no stupid loading of attacks like the PS2 used to struggle with on games), and on top of that... I mean really?
What changes?

Having them in 3rd person is just an aesthetic change, nothing more.
It doesn't enhance anything, and don't give me that "immersion" bullcrap.

Dude what the hell do you mean "immersion" bullcrap?

Like what the hell is this SMT or EO even in 1st person for when you are controlling a party? What sense does that make? The whole point of 1st person is for immersion. So why the hell is the field navigation in third person or whatever? Makes no sense. So you can see the back of some dude's ass? It's like it has an identity crisis or whatever. Same thing with Deus Ex HR switching in and out of 1st person to 3rd person.

And its absolutely pathetic Atlus didn't even try to make one single console RPG this gen. How in the hell is that a good thing? Catherine was the only ambitious attempt they made this gen.
Sure they coulda went minimalistic with that game too you know...put it on NDS with static 2D still portraits, and make the puzzle parts 2D like Tetris or whatever and I bet Atlus fanboys would still drooled.
But no, they took a leap of faith and made it something unique, then even had the balls to localize it and guess what, it actually sold well.
And that was basically a stepping stone to seeing what a full fledged Atlus RPG would be like on a console yet they didnt bother to run with it.
So with the PS3 install base at an all time high, why the hell they put this main title on a crampt handheld?
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)