Looking at the battle sprites makes me kinda cringe.

#1SimplyExplosivePosted 5/7/2013 10:02:24 PM
This is not a "OMFG NO 3d baTTLEZ" topic, by the way. I'm perfectly fine with 2D battles, but the sprites and their low frame-rate animations wouldn't look too out of place on the PSP or early PS2.
#2overmaxxPosted 5/7/2013 10:14:06 PM
It doesn't matter how it looks in comparison to other stuff, just what it looks like in comparison to the rest of the game itself, as in if it fits the visual whole.

I...I'm not sure if it does yet, it seems weird to have detailed and realistic 3D areas with 2D sprites on top of them, but I need to play the game.
#3zeik56Posted 5/7/2013 10:29:48 PM
Honestly, the more I see of the combat the more impressed I am with how it looks. Yeah, the demons themselves only have a few frames of animation, but the overall aesthetic of the battle screen is great and the attack animations are nicely stylized and have some real oomph. Frankly, this game has some of the best attack and spell animations the series has seen.

It's an interesting dichotomy of being very limited but also feeling very dynamic in some ways. I like it.
---
~Mirror, mirror, on my floor, am I the prettiest at the store?
#4LightHawKnightPosted 5/8/2013 12:53:17 AM
Looking at them makes me drool. I give none, and I mean none of the f***s about graphics. As long as I can clearly see what is going on, graphics can go to hell in a handbasket for all I could care.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#5GeekyDadPosted 5/8/2013 3:00:34 AM
I'm not bothered by their quality so much as the fact most of them are the same sprites we've already seen over and over and over again in other SMT games. S***'s gettin' old.
---
"The hardcore you've been waiting for!"
#6TwilightEchoesPosted 5/8/2013 4:25:50 AM(edited)
I suppose Atlus chose having the greatest variety of demons the franchise has ever seen to date over the visual quality of them.

A fair trade-off, in my opinion. Pretty graphics are pretty graphics, but more demons means deeper possibilities for the entire game.
---
[Insert an "[Insert witty saying or joke]" sig here]
#7Solar_CrimsonPosted 5/8/2013 4:11:24 AM
My only problem with the sprites is that it means that we're getting the regal versions of Oberon and Titania (as confirmed in trailers) instead of their younger and much better versions.
---
http://backloggery.com/SolarCrimson - My Backloggery
The official Okuninushi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#8Perfect ZPosted 5/8/2013 4:34:22 AM(edited)
Solar_Crimson posted...
My only problem with the sprites is that it means that we're getting the regal versions of Oberon and Titania (as confirmed in trailers) instead of their younger and much better versions.

That has nothing to do with the sprites. The sprites here for old monsters are actually just past artwork, and there was artwork for both of their forms, so they could chose between them and decided to go with those versions.

---
"Five hearts united as one!"
"..."
#9Solar_CrimsonPosted 5/8/2013 4:45:34 AM
Solar_Crimson posted...

That has nothing to do with the sprites. The sprites here for old monsters are actually just past artwork, and there was artwork for both of their forms, so they could chose between them and decided to go with those versions.

But most of the sprites were brought in from Strange Journey, Soul Hackers, and Devil Summoner; notably Strange Journey since SMT4 is using the same animated sprites as those games. As far as I know, sprites of the same quality for the young versions of Oberon and Titania do not exist. They could have made some new ones, but they decided to recycle what they used in Strange Journey.

It's a minor gripe that doesn't ruin the game at all, but it does bug me a little.
---
http://backloggery.com/SolarCrimson - My Backloggery
The official Okuninushi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#10betterboulderPosted 5/8/2013 6:24:07 AM(edited)
GeekyDad posted...
I'm not bothered by their quality so much as the fact most of them are the same sprites we've already seen over and over and over again in other SMT games. S***'s gettin' old.

There's supposed to be a few new ones but I wouldn't mind Kaneko touching the old classics up some more (adding new poses or redesigning whole demons). That or their partnership with outside artists will sparks some redesigns going forward.
---
I don't get worried. I get punchy!
PSN/XBL: PositiveCalvin/ 3DS Friend Code: 0259-0454-7272