Is it ok for a Christian to play Shin Megami Tensei games? (serious question)

#1AwesomeOSaucePosted 7/17/2013 8:13:39 AM(edited)
I recently became a Christian sadly now some of my favorite games I have to stop playing because they are rated M 18+, have swearing, blood, violence, nudity, satanic themes or imagery.

I'm wondering if some of my beloved JRPG games like SMT, Persona, Xeno series, Final Fantasy etc. aren't good for a Christian like me to play now because after looking through all my games I noticed that:

1) they have minor swearing (this is ok since its not exactly EXPLICIT stuff)
2) some violence but pretty minor and nothing bloody like GoW, Cod or Gears games.
3) some minor nudity or sexual dialogue.

4) This is the one I have a main issues with.... some JRPG games including the SMT series always have gods, godesses, demons, spirits, summons, magic, black magic, spells, runes, satanic, demonic and occult references and imagery and this sort of thing.

I know that Christians have told me that games like Dungeons and Dragons, WoW, Pokemon shouldn't be played by Christians and these Fantasy aspects apply to games like SMT IV.
I mean if these games had more of an emphasis on Angels or "Good" characters than recruiting evil creatures like demons then maybe this would be ok.

I just don't know how to feel about this stuff.
And I'm debating whether it would be ok for me to buy and play this now.
---
http://soundcloud.com/sunnyterra/audio-recording-on-monday-29
^ Hermiione says my name and says I''m cute! ^_^
#2Boomerang78Posted 7/17/2013 8:15:41 AM
Tons of Christians/Catholics/Protestants/Presbyterians/Baptists/Etc. play Shin Megami Tensei, so... yeah, I'd say so.

SMTIV is fictional.
---
http://i.imgur.com/yD9N0.gif
#3DarkDante_swPosted 7/17/2013 8:15:57 AM
It's not ok, you will be possessed by a demon as soon as you go to sleep after playing this once.
That you even dare to think about playing Shin Megami Tensei is already but a grave sin, repent while there's still time, pray the that the almighty YHVH might forgive your soul before it is too late.
#4DiedrupoPosted 7/17/2013 8:16:28 AM
You need to go back to being an atheist. There is absolutely no reason for any adult to become religious.
#5Rappy00Posted 7/17/2013 8:16:52 AM
Yes, I'm Christian and I'm a big fan of the series. Their just games at the end of the day.
---
Nintendo ID:Rappy0
PSN:Rappy0 If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#6CennusPosted 7/17/2013 8:17:20 AM
It's your life and you can do what you want with your religion but I'll just say: let your religion enrich your life but don't let it define you or control you.

Play what you want, dude. If you're smart enough to know that SMT IV isn't showing you real life footage of demons running around Japan then what's so bad about it?

If you're smart enough to know that playing Dungeons & Dragons won't make you join an evil cult because you made up a character to have fun with friends in a made up world, then what's so bad about it?
---
PSN - Warforged (Vita), Live - Cennus, 3DS- 5201 0405 6411, Wii U - Cennus
#7CrisisOfFatePosted 7/17/2013 8:18:24 AM
Dude,you can side with God in that game and kill Lucifer,if you want to.
---
The official Azrael of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
Proud supporter of NO Persona in SMTxFE
#8HellsingOrgPosted 7/17/2013 8:19:49 AM
Boomerang78 posted...
Tons of Christians/Catholics/Protestants/Presbyterians/Baptists/Etc. play Shin Megami Tensei, so... yeah, I'd say so.

SMTIV is fictional.

so is stuff like The Exorcist movie or Hellsing Ultimate anime yet most Christians agree that the Bible tells them not to view or watch things that are unholy and occult and go against their beliefs regardless if its just fiction.
---
The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame.
#9gohoanqPosted 7/17/2013 8:20:06 AM
Diedrupo posted...
You need to go back to being an atheist. There is absolutely no reason for any adult to become religious.

I don't want to be that blunt.. but yes.. I have to agree, why give up things you enjoy in life because you're afraid of crap that might happen when you die? :/ You're only alive NOW.. why risk it.
---
---
My 3DS FC is 2277 - 8061 - 3461. Wii U ID- Gohan-9
#10Tigo73Posted 7/17/2013 8:20:27 AM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672441-shin-megami-tensei-iv/66710034

see how many christians in this topic expressed their love (or interest in this series).
This game is a work of fiction. Any questionable imagery can be forgotten and ignored completely. This game never affected anyones beliefs, and never will, aside from a possible desire to explore the various mythologies depicted in this piece of fiction (Christianity, Hinduism, Nordic, etc). By the way, good point, this game does not only represent figures from christianity, is represents figures from preety much every relevant belief system today.

Also, you can side with God and killl the devil alongside the Archangels.
---
"Fox News" reporting live from EVOs Melee tournament.
Official Omoikane of the SMT IV board.