Why Neutral Ending is the Only Good & Canon Ending (ending spoilers)

#21IsredelPosted 7/22/2013 7:32:06 PM
kratoscar2008 posted...
Only SMT 1 had a canon ending since SMT 2 is based on that.

to me SJ Neutral Ending is the worst ending:

In Law there is no killing and everyone live in harmony as one entity, only bad side is there is no freedom.

In chaos the earth return to a world full of life and demons and humans live in "harmony", only bad side is that the weak receives the confort of dead.

In Neutral not only people will kepp damaging themselves and the earth but the Shartzwelt will rise again, so neutral doesnt have any positive outcome besides maintaining the status quuo.

I think you misinterpreted the neutral ending. While humans may be hurting themselves, this ending also gives rise to humans bettering themselves. The problem with both extreme endings is that there is no more true change (not even in chaos). In the neutral ending, all possibilities are still attainable which makes for a healthier future.
---
Ooh, Destruction.
#22SazukeEXPosted 7/22/2013 7:36:42 PM(edited)
I do agree that out of all the paths Neutral in SMT IV is by far the most likely to be canon and is the easiest ending to use for a sequel due to how bad the other two endings will eventually screw things over.

Also note that Law and Chaos actively, from the start of the game, try and convert you to their alignment and their views and that Flynn is for all purposes Neutral at the start of the game. Isabeau doesn't hound you throughout the game, or in your dreams, to try and change your mind towards an extreme that will eventually screw over humanity in the end as the other stuff in the game later shows through Chaos and Law with a really screwed over humanity.
---
Master of all things Fire Emblem Canon.
#23kratoscar2008Posted 7/22/2013 8:03:00 PM
Isredel posted...
kratoscar2008 posted...
Only SMT 1 had a canon ending since SMT 2 is based on that.

to me SJ Neutral Ending is the worst ending:

In Law there is no killing and everyone live in harmony as one entity, only bad side is there is no freedom.

In chaos the earth return to a world full of life and demons and humans live in "harmony", only bad side is that the weak receives the confort of dead.

In Neutral not only people will kepp damaging themselves and the earth but the Shartzwelt will rise again, so neutral doesnt have any positive outcome besides maintaining the status quuo.

I think you misinterpreted the neutral ending. While humans may be hurting themselves, this ending also gives rise to humans bettering themselves. The problem with both extreme endings is that there is no more true change (not even in chaos). In the neutral ending, all possibilities are still attainable which makes for a healthier future.

That would be cool if the game didnt made clear trought the Journey that mankind cant still reach to those levels of harmony with the earth, all those problems present on Sector A trought D clearly shows that mankind cant really put aside their needs over the earth, not to mention people like Jacks squad and their employers were there to make this message even more clear.
---
The official Vulcanus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV boards
http://www.gaijinworks.com/interact/forum.php Vic is baaaack.
#24SwiftShayminPosted 7/23/2013 7:20:58 AM
I want to point out that Yamai officially said that there is no canon ending in SMTIV. Even though you need to jump some extra hoops in Neutral it doesn't make it more canon.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/25/shin-megami-tensei-iv-developers-talk-difficulty-multiple-routes-and-dlc/
#25Samsaric_Spiral(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2013 7:39:35 AM(edited)
I retract my statement regarding how the neutral ending is canon.

However, I still feel as if the developers had a preference towards neutral, hence why we see more to do for that path. Moreover, there was a feeling of nationalism associated with the neutral path (i.e., not bad nationalism, but a nationalism for the Tokyo people and a belief they can better themselves). I feel as if the neutral ending is very relevant towards people living in contemporary Japan.

Finally, I feel as if neutral was the best for the reasons outlined in my first post.
#26LeyviurPosted 7/23/2013 7:36:04 AM
I feel neutrality is overly consider the 'ideal' path, myself.

Why? Because it keeps stressing how human will and capacity for hope is the greatest weapon man has. It's implied that this inherent ability is what makes God fearful of us (thus creating a perfect order society where only His chosen are allowed to live) and what makes demons want to use us for their own ends (our tenacity makes us powerful allies and useful cattle).

It doesn't hurt that a lot of JRPGs, not only Megaten, like to preach about the power of human will. Hell, take a look at Persona 3 - that game codifies this trope.
---
The rallying cry of Idea Factory/Compile Hearts enthusiasts:
"Pursuant to Megan's Law, I must inform you that I am a registered Mugen Souls fan."
#27SazukeEXPosted 7/23/2013 7:44:14 AM
SwiftShaymin posted...
I want to point out that Yamai officially said that there is no canon ending in SMTIV. Even though you need to jump some extra hoops in Neutral it doesn't make it more canon.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/25/shin-megami-tensei-iv-developers-talk-difficulty-multiple-routes-and-dlc/

No point in an official stance at this time.

Hell, I would say the same thing in his shoes as many fanbases tend to get VERY angry when they learn that their path they picked was not the canon one.
---
Master of all things Fire Emblem Canon.
#281998_zPosted 7/23/2013 7:53:42 AM
Well, Neutral is clearly the best ending. You don't get on either sides(which the protagonist usually starts with), and you have minimum risks by following the Neutral ending.

I resented Law. It has the potential of making the 'good' ending(and you're a Nice Guy so that's a bonus), but it's poorly executed(SMTII being the worst case). Law endings often have a bad reception, and I think it's due to the factor said above(poor execution). DeSu Law ending is the best so far, but Overclocked broke it just a little, making it flawed once again.

I don't really like the idea of Chaos, really. The philosophy doesn't really click on me. And I doubt there's any real bad Chaos ending. It's like the devs give more effort to Chaos than Law, which is a bit unfair.
---
OP tomes, high Res, and skills be damned; I won't use Sorcs.
O furious and insane gods! Send me ten-nay, TWENTY of your finest cakes!
#29Samsaric_Spiral(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2013 8:26:28 AM
I feel like Law tends to get a little too over-authoritative, obsessive with putting out regulations, elitist, and etc. Feels kind of accurate to me... with the police giving out tickets for every small driving violation, and overly patriotic people supporting wars on the basis of imposing what they think is "right"... and etc.

Chaos just tends to lose sight of valuable feelings like compassion, empathy, solidarity, and etc. It's kind of a problem with the Anarchist punk scene too... Always singing about anarchy and then breaking apart due to small quibbles. I'm sure I could have given a better example here, but it works.

I prefer a balance between the two. A fixation on either will lead to similar problems these games address.
#30neostelar0629Posted 7/23/2013 9:08:25 AM
MagiusNecros posted...

Lawful beings lacking a soul has always been interesting to me.

Are you implying that all lawful beings are gingers?
---
3DS FC: 0903 - 2787 - 6804