"Death Has it's Applications" Mini-FAQ

#1Orn111Posted 7/24/2013 9:09:10 AM
I didn’t see a whole lot of info on the new DLC “Death Has It’s Applications” , so I thought I’d put together a mini-FAQ here. It’s my first, so be gentle.

Death Has It’s Applications is a DLC expansion that allows you to earn large amounts of app points very quickly. Immediately upon accepting the quest, you will be transported to a separate area full of enemies that are mostly between levels 30-33. However, it is possible (and even fairly easy once you get the hang of it) to kill them and rack up the app points as low as level 10 (my current level). You lose nothing if you wipe so there’s no reason not to try it. Here is how I earned 100 app points in an hour last night:

The enemies that actually drop the app point items are Mitamas (crazy little spirits that are shaped like commas or tear drops), who will usually try to run away as soon as possible, so killing them first is the top priority. Regular attacks will always do zero damage to them, and even though they take very little damage from most other attacks (they absorb ice and block the insta-kill spells) they only seem to have around 75 HP and can be killed in the first round with a little luck and strategy.

The man shaped monsters that spawn on the map will typically be one or two mitamas in a group with two normal mobs, and the little critter shaped blue monster spawns are just Mitamas. If you want to avoid the high level monsters, it is fairly easy to hang back and wait for the “man shaped” mobs to despawn and wait for a Mitama party to pounce on. As an aside, killing the high level mobs even at low levels like 10 is easier than it might seem.

Here are some strategies to kill Mitamas before they can run away:

Spamming moves like critical wave or any area spells (besides ice) for the first round should be enough to kill at least one of them, or damage them enough that they stay and fight on their turn instead of run away (I don’t know what the threshold is but they seem more likely to attack than to run when injured). Phys seems better than magic for them.

The Mitamas are susceptible to attacks that have special animations and can sometimes be killed “early”. For instance; slashing spells like Fatal Slash or Tetanus Cut have a chance to slice them in half even if they have high hp, gun shots might turn them into swiss cheese, crits might knock them out of the screen and fire attacks might burn them up. I haven’t been able to pin down the specifics of how this mechanic works other than it that it is desirable to use those sorts of attacks.

Once you have killed the Mitamas, you can deal with the regular mobs. Buffs and debuffs are grand here, rakukaja and sukukaja will help keep you alive. The mobs levels might be high and scary, but most are bird types that are weak to guns and many use fire (and to a lesser extent ice) AOE attacks pretty reliably, so they can be beaten easily enough with some fire and ice repel demons and gun wielders in your party.

You might lose a lot of demons every fight, but the quest is set up in such a way that you can bounce in and out of it at any time and any where you want, and there isn’t really any mission objectives or progress to lose besides grinding app points; so you can heal in the barracks (or wherever) any time you want and jump right back in without losing anything. Also, you don’t get a game over or lose anything at all if you wipe.

The blue Mitamas drop the app point cards; while the red, gold and green ones all drop items that can be sold for massive gold and also items that will cause you to auto-revive without having to pay the fairy man. It seems that you get a ten point card for every blue Mitama that you kill, plus a twenty point card for killing two in the same fight (so forty points for killing two).

Happy hunting!
---
4082 6167 4723
#2ZeruelPosted 7/24/2013 9:12:50 AM(edited)
"The Mitamas are susceptible to attacks that have special animations and can sometimes be killed “early”. For instance; slashing spells like Fatal Slash or Tetanus Cut have a chance to slice them in half even if they have high hp, gun shots might turn them into swiss cheese, crits might knock them out of the screen and fire attacks might burn them up. I haven’t been able to pin down the specifics of how this mechanic works other than it that it is desirable to use those sorts of attacks."

There's no real mechanic associated with that. The effect just depends on what type of attack is used to finish the last of an enemy's HP.
---
I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck!
#3Darklit_AnguishPosted 7/24/2013 9:52:12 AM
So many mistakes in this guide...it's making my head hurt
#4GlickWickPosted 7/24/2013 9:53:22 AM
Darklit_Anguish posted...
So many mistakes in this guide...it's making my head hurt

This is the problem with writing a guide for a complex game when you're only level 10, lol
#5tathraPosted 7/24/2013 9:55:11 AM
i often kill mitamas with normal attacks. regular-attacks-always-do-zero-damage my ass.
---
3ds fc - 3625-8580-9519
#6mongopikisPosted 7/24/2013 9:59:57 AM(edited)
Low level Mitama farming? Physical Move +8. All you need.

1) Get Lham Dearg, level him up till just before he gains a level to get his final move.
2) Save into Compendium
3) Level Lham Dearg up. Whisper Critical Wave.
4) Delete Lham Dearg.
5) Acquire Lham Dearg from Compendium.
6) Repeat steps 3 - 5.

You can now kill mitamas in one turn.
#7Darklit_AnguishPosted 7/24/2013 10:05:34 AM
Alright, list of corrections, on top of post2

Elemental strengths and 'weaknesses' differ from Mitama to Mitama. Using a hit-all elemental if you're facing all four will screw you over

The most efficient way to damage them is to level a hit-all phys/gun/almighty attack to +8 - the damage boosts from leveling the skill don't get limited by a Mitama's resistances. Critical Wave is probably the first skill you have access to that can OHKO all of them when maxed at 8, I used Megido+8 which would either one-shot or severely weaken the Mitamas for the rest of my demons to finish them

Blue Mitama always drops 10 point card, the 20 point card is a rare drop that you can sometimes but not always get from them.

Also, if you're facing all four different color ones, try to kill the blue one first - that way you don't miss out on a potential 20 point card drop, since enemies drop items in the order they're killed and you can only get 6 different items from one battle
#8Brodie_GorgoPosted 7/24/2013 10:21:21 AM
I don't understand the point of the DLC. You get the same amount of APP points in the Experience DLC when you get a Heavy Grimoire from a Mitama because you get 10 APP points at level up. Except the additional experience (light Grimoire) you get from the other enemies will eventually make you level up too and get you even more APP points.

So basically if you want to farm APP points, pick the Experience DLC. Right ?
#9OracleGunnerPosted 7/24/2013 10:25:12 AM
Brodie_Gorgo posted...
I don't understand the point of the DLC. You get the same amount of APP points in the Experience DLC when you get a Heavy Grimoire from a Mitama because you get 10 APP points at level up. Except the additional experience (light Grimoire) you get from the other enemies will eventually make you level up too and get you even more APP points.

Not really. The other DLC have a chance of other mitamas appearing, this one guarantees that you will get a blue mitama. Basically it all depends on how much time are you willing to spend farming a certain enemy type for a chance that other mitamas will appear.
---
The Unofficial Iron Castle that Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse. ppl who got it:2
The official Tlaloc of the SMT IV board.
#10LightHawKnightPosted 7/24/2013 10:26:07 AM
Brodie_Gorgo posted...

Each DLC has its own spawn type. The app one will have Nigi Mitamas spawn with the regular mobs, whilst the macca one will have Ara Mitamas spawn with the regular mobs, and the exp one has the last two Mitamas spawning with regular mobs.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."