Akira and the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado (spoilers)

#1shulebsPosted 7/25/2013 8:49:35 PM
So, when you finish the Blasted Tokyo arc, Akira proclaims he'll restart the nation, and call it the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado in homage to your party. Jonathan then says this will make him King Akira of the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado, to which both Jonathan and Walter show surprise. Clearly, they noticed how Akira and Aquila sound quite similar.

Previously on the same arc, when walking around one of the craters left behind by the nukes, Jonathan mentions how the lakes of their home country were once holes like those.

The implication here seems to be that Blasted Tokyo somehow becomes the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado, in a sort of stable time loop, but a lot of things don't add up. Does any other part of the game elaborate on this?

The history of Mikado itself doesn't seem to make much sense. The kingdom exists for a thousand years, while their date is somewhere on the fifteenth century, and the dome above Tokyo exists for only 25 years. Just what the heck is going on when it comes to Mikado's backstory? I was hoping the game would bring this to the foreground at one point, but ending the Neutral path, it didn't happen. Does any other path shed light on this?
#2AlwaysFidelisPosted 7/25/2013 8:53:54 PM
Chaos sure doesn't
#3Mcjon01Posted 7/25/2013 8:56:32 PM
We were talking about some of it in this topic, might be a good read:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672441-shin-megami-tensei-iv/66808790
---
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.
#4IVIasterJayPosted 7/25/2013 9:18:25 PM
The alternate dimensions are basically alternate histories of the events 25 years before the start of the game. The chaos dimension is if the angels were defeated and the arc full of the "chosen ones" never rose, and the law dimension is if the ceiling didn't appear to block the angels' nukes after the arc left with the chosen ones. In the actual history the angel arc rose and then the ceiling appeared and protected Tokyo from the nukes (creating Mikado's lakes in the process), and Mikado was established atop the ceiling.
This is just my personal interpretation and could be entirely wrong though. =P
---
Support the Megatokyo Visual Novel Game Kickstarter.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fredrin/megatokyo-visual-novel-game
#5LioleiaPosted 7/25/2013 9:26:18 PM
Aquila is Ceiling Tokyo's version of Akira. There's no timeloop going on or anything, confusing as it may be. It's implied that Akira climbed the tower in pursuit of the angels that took his sister away in the cocoon, and helped found the actual kingdom of Mikado.
---
lee-oh-leh-ee-ah.
It is perfectly okay to write garbage--as long as you edit brilliantly. --Carolyn Janice Cherryh
#6ElyonPosted 7/25/2013 9:27:26 PM
AlwaysFidelis posted...
Chaos sure doesn't

It does, to some extent.

Return to Infernal Tokyo and you'll see that Akira has actually started hoarding the Neurishers. Two separate NPCs actually mention Adam and Eve straight out.
---
Cyril ~ I'm glad you know your place.
#7LioleiaPosted 7/25/2013 9:37:08 PM
I think that happens in any route. It's more like he just rounded up the healthiest ones so the demonoids don't kill off ALL their food supply. No one's equal yet, but hey, baby steps.

Perhaps the DLC elaborates on things. Ancient of Days DLC has you going to Blasted Tokyo, Sanat DLC involves Infernal Tokyo, and Masakado DLC takes place in the past Ceiling Tokyo.
---
lee-oh-leh-ee-ah.
It is perfectly okay to write garbage--as long as you edit brilliantly. --Carolyn Janice Cherryh
#8UryvichkPosted 7/26/2013 7:33:35 AM
Lioleia posted...
Aquila is Ceiling Tokyo's version of Akira. There's no timeloop going on or anything, confusing as it may be. It's implied that Akira climbed the tower in pursuit of the angels that took his sister away in the cocoon, and helped found the actual kingdom of Mikado.

While I like the idea and it makes sense, why in the world did the angels allow that? After all, Akira wasn't allowed to leave in the first place, so why accept him after the fact? And if the angels weren't around anymore by the time he got up there, why did he stay?

It helps explain a lot of things (like the Samurai in general), I'm just not clear on why Akira would become Aquila and essentially choose to protect the land he was trying to save people from. He even had Minotaur stand guard over the entrance to Tokyo to prevent anybody from going back there. Why? Did he just have a change of heart, decide it was nicer than Tokyo, give up on ever going back, and choose to lead it?
#9Mcjon01Posted 7/26/2013 7:39:15 AM
If I were to put out a wild guess, I'd say he was able to negotiate some sort of truce wherein nobody enters or leaves Mikado, and in exchange the angels don't just go downstairs and wipe everybody out. Which went out the window when the Black Samurai showed up and started wreaking havoc all over the place, ergo plan "Tokyo Genocide" was a go again.

But I haven't seen enough of the endings to say for sure, if it's even explained in any of them.
---
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.
#10HalecticPosted 7/26/2013 10:32:54 AM
All of the humans on Mikado where descended from those who where in the Cocoon.

When the nukes came, Masakado used himself to create a barrier of Tokyo to save it, Gods "chosen" where put into the Cocoon and where brought up to safety, and then later colonized the top of the dome.
---
Digimon World Dawn FC 000111545835