The game is great, but it's pretty disappointing in terms of...

#1The_Mana_LegendPosted 7/26/2013 2:31:22 PM
...The lazy presentation. I mean, the music is spot on and perfect, but the rest of it feels really lazy. Poor presentation has never really bothered me before, but I find the story and world in this pretty interesting, so the half-assed presentation is kind of bothering me. The reused sprites from past SMT games, the lazy cutscenes/dialog, the inconsistent demon art direction (Medusa looked like something out of a flash game or something), etc. The whole experience is really jarring to me, and I'm not feeling as engrossed in the world as I was with Nocturne or even Strange Journey.
---
What can I do to save Sony?
#2SilentHeroSMT44Posted 7/26/2013 2:35:17 PM
I understand the complaints, but an rpg's main focus should be story above all else. The visuals are passable, so it's playable.
And this game's story is excellent as far as I'm concerned.
---
The Hee-ho-fficial Frost Ace of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
Official Neutral Hero of everywhere.
#3overmaxxPosted 7/26/2013 2:42:48 PM
I think it fits into a cohesive whole, the story presentation... doesn't feel jarring to me.

But I agree with the schizophrenic demon design, it does feel jarring at times.
---
r u 'aving a gigle ther m8?
(3DS: 2122 - 5984 - 7063) Animal Crossing and Pokemon XY in the future
#4OhHiRenanPosted 7/26/2013 2:47:28 PM
I understand the complaints, but an rpg's main focus should be story above all else. The visuals are passable, so it's playable.

wut
The story is probably the worst part of the game.

For the record, I think the game is great before somebody attacks me.
---
http://i.imgur.com/KxJQD.jpg
#51upsuperPosted 7/26/2013 2:50:42 PM
An RPG's main draw should never be story. If you think if should be you should quit gaming and just play VNs.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
#6AlcielPosted 7/26/2013 2:53:06 PM
The new demon designs really don't fit in the game, I'll agree. They're not bad, but they really don't mesh well with Kaneko's designs.
---
Grendelson
#7OpheliaAdenadePosted 7/26/2013 2:54:48 PM
I honestly don't get those complaints at all TC. I thought the presentation was very nice. Everything seemed very polished to me, and I loved the story. I don't think I've felt as much anticipation while playing a rpg in a long time. The game just made me want to keep going.

And SMT has been reusing demon art for a long while now. Only select demons get redesigns in each game. That is why a few of them stand out, like Medusa. I remember reading that they got different manga artists to redesign some demons in their own style. So that was actually intentional, rather than an oversight.
---
They say she's low down, but it's just a rumor I don't believe 'em.
#8businessman999Posted 7/26/2013 3:01:04 PM
SilentHeroSMT44 posted...

lol it should be gameplay, go watch a movie if u want story
---
Platinum [4941 4097 8342] Black [1034 0817 0882] White 2 [4170 2373 8416]
Use my white 2 fc
#9Tatsu751Posted 7/26/2013 3:10:09 PM
I mean, I agree, but redrawing all 500 demons in the game so that they're unique in each iteration is... a lot. I mean, this is a series that is comparable to Pokemon in terms of total amount of games and demons/pokemon, but with a significantly smaller development team.

Though, at the very least, Medusa should've been redrawn. Like, what the hell.
#10DeviousLightPosted 7/26/2013 3:17:54 PM
SilentHeroSMT44 posted...

Story is always very important in my eyes, although gameplay should always be number one. I love the Tales series. While the story is enjoyable but not the greatest, the best thing about the series is the gameplay.

I personally think that has long as a game has a mix of great story and gameplay than i'd love to play it. I could care less about graphics.
---
Gamefaqs. Where Frequently Asked Questions are forbidden.