Never played these game, new to series, please compare this game to others?

#1TDragon777Posted 8/18/2013 5:23:41 PM
What game is this like? Just throw out a few names and maybe I can compare em.

Few other questions too:

Is this open world/free roaming type of game or is it very linear?

Any character customization?
---
2423 2800 9969 - 3ds
#2Rasen543Posted 8/18/2013 5:29:52 PM
Adult, post-apocalyptic Pokemon, except this was the series that invented the "Mon" genre a decade before Pokemon did. And instead of fuzzy little creatures, you collect demons.

open world in the sense there is an overworld and plenty of sidequests to do, yes.

Character customization is a...broad topic. You can name your character, but you can't select their gender or physical appearance (The guy is the dude with the ponytail on the box) but you can change what they're wearing. every piece of armor looks different when equipped.

You get to build your main character's stats by selecting what stats to power each time they level up, the five stats are Strength (physical attack strenght) Dexterity (Physical Skill strength) Magic (Magical skill strength) Agility (decides turn order and hit/evasion rate) and Luck (I think it increases the chance of getting better items when talking to demons and in treasure chests?)
---
Official Kodama of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
I review stuff! http://www.youtube.com/user/RasenReviews
#3TDragon777(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 5:31:56 PM
Rasen543 posted...
Adult, post-apocalyptic Pokemon, except this was the series that invented the "Mon" genre a decade before Pokemon did. And instead of fuzzy little creatures, you collect demons.

open world in the sense there is an overworld and plenty of sidequests to do, yes.

Character customization is a...broad topic. You can name your character, but you can't select their gender or physical appearance (The guy is the dude with the ponytail on the box) but you can change what they're wearing. every piece of armor looks different when equipped.

You get to build your main character's stats by selecting what stats to power each time they level up, the five stats are Strength (physical attack strenght) Dexterity (Physical Skill strength) Magic (Magical skill strength) Agility (decides turn order and hit/evasion rate) and Luck (I think it increases the chance of getting better items when talking to demons and in treasure chests?)

Thanks, this is good info. So do you fight with the demons you collect (and are there a lot of just a handful to choose from) or do you fight yourself with weapons,etc? Or both?
---
2423 2800 9969 - 3ds
#4Tigo73Posted 8/18/2013 5:33:27 PM
Well...I guess you could compare it to Dragon Quest, where you fight with the main character+3 monsters.There arenīt any actual non-monster party members in the game besides the main character, unless you count a 5th, AI controlled ally that sometimes joins you.

Some also compare it to a grimdark Pokemon, which is , In my opinion,not as accurate than the Dragon Quest comparison, due to the similarities ending at "you can use monsters" (which is funny, because this series preceeded them both, "teehee")

Well, while I canīt tell you to expect "Elder Scrolls level open world", after a certain point In the story(early on), a major location change happens, and then you are left to explore the world at your will, and do side stuff, collect items, do quests, and general faffing about as you please.

Your main character is entirelly customizeable, in that you have full control over his stat growths, and skillset. The rest of your party makeup, as already stated, is made up by 3 demons (before you ask, you can have demons in your "back pocket" too, for reserve). Aside from the fact that there are almost 500 demons to obtain, you can also, with the fusion system, make up the best monsters possible with skill and resistance transfers (passing spells and passive bonuses and resistances from the demons you are fusing, to the resultant demon.

Any further questions that we may assist you in?
---
The man who will steal your candles.
Official Omoikane of the SMT IV board.
#5TDragon777(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 5:45:32 PM(edited)
Hmm I think you pretty much answered all the questions I have and I think I may as well give it a try since I already have FE:A and it seems like a good deal.

How many hours will this take to complete + doing all side quests, no rushing,etc?

Should I play this on normal? Hated playing FE:A at normal, it was wayyyy to easy but i hear this game's normal is actually...normal.
---
2423 2800 9969 - 3ds
#6Rasen543Posted 8/18/2013 5:45:52 PM
well over 60 hours, maybe 70.
---
Official Kodama of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
I review stuff! http://www.youtube.com/user/RasenReviews
#7DynamicJumpIuffPosted 8/18/2013 5:46:03 PM
Most people finished the game in 40 to 60 hours on a first playthrough. I finished in 82 hours on the Neutral route and I did every side quest I could. There were some I didn't complete though.

There are 4 endings, tons of demons to fuse, plenty of side quests to complete, and you could spend some time finding the Fiends. It could take a while to 100% this game.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#8Tigo73Posted 8/18/2013 5:48:02 PM
TDragon777 posted...
How many hours will this take to complete + doing all side quests, no rushing,etc?

Well...depends.

The general around here seems to be that a single playthrough takes around 50 hours. Thing is...the game has 4 "paths" (change the ending, a part of the game, you know, the usual), NG+ exclusives, multiple superbosses and secret encounter, a truckton of sidequests, stuff to find, stuff to do...and DLC, if youīre into that. As you can tell, if you want 100%, It will take longer. Luckily, multiple playthroughs are expedited if you carry over your character and demons from the previous playthrough.

Also, this is not relevant to your question, but I though I might as well mention it: Every single monster in this game is based off myth, religion, and urban legends. From pixies and winter fairies to Loki, the god of Mischief from Nordic myth, the Four Archangels from Christianity, to Shiva the Destroyer from Hindu creation myth.
---
The man who will steal your candles.
Official Omoikane of the SMT IV board.
#9TDragon777(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 5:59:55 PM
Does this game make use of the streetpass feature/// any online/multiplayer at all?

btw thanks again for the responses
---
2423 2800 9969 - 3ds
#10TDragon777(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 6:01:58 PM
Tigo73 posted...
Also, this is not relevant to your question, but I though I might as well mention it: Every single monster in this game is based off myth, religion, and urban legends. From pixies and winter fairies to Loki, the god of Mischief from Nordic myth, the Four Archangels from Christianity, to Shiva the Destroyer from Hindu creation myth.

Very cool, did not realize this but I love history so this is a neat perk for me.
---
2423 2800 9969 - 3ds