Is there a reason why they made Walter so much more Likable? (Spoilers)

#31Tai_Le_ReePosted 9/6/2013 9:41:26 PM
It was like that in strange journey too
Jemenez was fine until he went maximum chaos
---
>Any Year
>Trusting anyone
#32EnuoCalePosted 9/6/2013 11:30:17 PM
wind64a posted...
It seems that they gave Law the short end of the stick ...again.

Don't worry. There was one game, ever, where law was kind of represented as better than chaos. (but still worse than neutral.) Being survivor overclocked.
---
Official Satan of the SMT IV board.
#33EnuoCalePosted 9/6/2013 11:34:13 PM
Also, for no apparent reason they decided to make lawful now "afraid of change" despite that in previous games you were generally coming from a neutral society, or at worst a "the angels rebelled and did their own lawful evil thing. Different from our lawful "slightly less evil."" Also, despite that the law ending very much showed the kingdom changing. So... it doesn't make sense? The law ending is about people needing to be willing to self sacrifice. But the dream sequence early on shows Jonathan declaring that the greediness of the upper class should just be accepted. Despite him trying not to do that? All in all, they seemed to be confused about what law was even representing this time.
---
Official Satan of the SMT IV board.
#34Cheesepower5Posted 9/6/2013 11:35:01 PM
Tai_Le_Ree posted...

Yeah, I loved Jiminez but when he went Chaos he went Chaos hard. Suddenly I wasn't able to look forward to getting out of the Schwartzwelt and sharing tacos and beer with him. ): And Zelenin... I saved her damn life. Some way to thank me, going all Lady Gaga nutso control freak.
---
We are the champions, but me most of all!
Official Eikichi Mishina of all MegaTen boards.
#35metamaraPosted 9/7/2013 1:22:37 AM
To stroke the fire, Law side created freedom and due to various results, it then condemned freedom.

Yusuke Urameshi posted...
That's kind of par for the course in SMT.

Law at least wears its fascistic overtones on its sleeve. Chaos likes to lure you in with promises of freedom only to hit you upside the head with "that's only if you're badass enough to punch everybody else in the face, sucker; otherwise, you're just a snack."

In short, Chaos only looks attractive because Law is a bunch of jerks.

---
Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh
#361998_zPosted 9/7/2013 7:46:59 AM
Yusuke Urameshi posted...
In short, Chaos only looks attractive because the devs make Law a bunch of jerks.

fix'd for accuracy.

EnuoCale posted...
wind64a posted...
It seems that they gave Law the short end of the stick ...again.

Don't worry. There was one game, ever, where law was kind of represented as better than chaos. (but still worse than neutral.) Being survivor overclocked.

Overclocked boosts Chaos though so that's irrelevant.

Tai_Le_Ree posted...

I liked Zelenin before she turned into an angel. Then it went way downwards.
---
Official Nozomi and Trumpeter of the SMT4 board.
The sole rule of any videogamer is to save save save. Especially when something rare happens. - LightHawKnight
#37HermeticJusticePosted 9/7/2013 8:14:01 AM
if you have any love for children, handicapped, or the elderly, Chaos is a horrible decision

I swear, Chaos is pretty much the Crawford sanction in Walking Dead (who ironically had a very Law orientated system)
---
The Official Kerberos of the SMT IV Board + Friend Code: 4983 - 6166 - 9895
QVODSVPERIVS.MACROPROSOPVS + QVODINFERIVS.MICROPROSOPVS
#38KJHPosted 9/7/2013 9:12:03 AM
Even if you don't like Law more than Chaos, Jonathan was way more likable than Walter for most of the game. He's always kind to you and he literally never discriminates against the casualries (and neither does Isabeau). Walter meanwhile tries to force class stereotypes as justification for EVERYTHING even when practically the only two he's ever known or traveled with are as kind as can be and directly look out for him, and then always tries to justify it by expecting you'd agree with him entirely based on being a casualry too.

Not to mention, regardless of what Lilith offers, she was the one that forced tons of Mikado people to transform into demons and kill one another, including Issachar. Which is a dickish way of promoting the change of the class system, given even both of Neutral and Law don't support said class system either. So suddenly Walter's not for allowing someone's personal emotions and freedom to come into play in an attempt to kill her when they've wrong them, just because he's sweet-talked into something unrelated that they could do regardless of whether they killed her or not. It's like letting the person who killed your family and friends for no reason walk free because they suggested someone MIGHT be worse than them, as if the logical choice isn't to deal with the one personally attacking your people and then consider dealing with the other later.

And after that Walter's just a nosedive in stupidity, while Jonathan is incredibly appreciative, level-headed, and has doubts as to how to proceed.
---
You can't live without a spinal cord, son. Nothing unnatural about that.
#39JupiterservantPosted 9/7/2013 2:31:40 PM
Lilith didn't force anyone to read books. They chose it of their own free will and let their desires run rampant. The reason that even happens is because the Casualries have been kept ignorant and thus have no self-control once they've enjoyed something they've never known before. I'd be more angry at a system that allows such a thing.

Also two Luxurors don't represent the whole of a group and Navarre had help from fellow Luxurors in tricking Walter and Flynn early in the game, both of whom had gone to help. Yes even Walter tried to help Navarre, someone he clearly didn't like. There are Luxurors who look down upon the Casualries, which is why the problem exists.

Jonathan is more than willing to turn a blind eye to the suffering of others if it doesn't meet his views. Even though Lilith was doing it to manipulate him, Walter at least realizes humans aren't that different from demons after hearing Tenkai's grateful words upon his defeat, while Jonathan scoffs at the idea and tells Walter he's being deceived.
#40fadedsun303Posted 9/8/2013 4:50:32 PM
It's pretty obvious that both extremes have their pros and cons. I like Jonathan and Walter, but both them start to say some crazy things. Law gets straight up crazy towards the end of that path, so I started to like Chaos more, but I haven't gone full Chaos path yet so I can't say what crazy lies there, but I suspect Neutral is the true ending.