which game next?

#1ICSTARS77Posted 9/30/2013 7:42:05 AM
I haven't played many of the SMT games but I like them, just not sure which to pick up next. I played persona 3 and liked that as a whole - dragged on way too much imo - and one of the early SMT games on an emulator can't recall which(you were playing as some chick and it started in a high school or something with an investigation) which I enjoyed just never got around to finishing. I was debating getting persona 4 as I heard that was really good, but I feel like I would enjoy mainstream SMT game more such as soul hackers or some other (3)DS SMT. Any suggestions?
---
"God. I feel sorry for anyone that dates a woman. Seriously, we're impossible" - my friend who's a woman and is married.
#2AlessarPosted 9/30/2013 7:51:53 AM
Well Persona 4 is a lot like Persona 3, but refined in several ways. There's an actual mystery that needs to be investigated, the dungeons have a bit more personality, and you can control the party members more, even tweaking their builds slightly as they skill up. But, overall P3 and P4 are very similar games so you know what you're in for.

Now, the SMT games are definitely in a different style. If you enjoyed this one and think you'd like a bit more of this than Persona, I would say hunt up a copy of Nocturne. It's a more complicated game than this one and lacks some of the convenience streamlining of this one (demon fusion is random, rerolling takes time; when the hero gets the chance to learn a new skill it's a 1-time deal and if you pass you can't get that skill again) but it has a similar "multiple paths out of the apocalypse" approach. Music and graphics are amazing IMO.

I also have Soul Hackers for my 3DS and it's cool to play a nostalgic port but it didn't suck me in before I got my hands on this game so I can only recommend it as your next choice if it's what's convenient. Otherwise I'd go with Strange Journey as the next one.
#3ViewtifulGenePosted 9/30/2013 8:07:20 AM(edited)
SMT1 is fun to play with SMT4 fresh in your head because you can see all the plot elements that inspired that game. The problem is that the game is ridiculously imbalanced and has a clunky interface. Random encounters are easily mitigated with a low-cost, long-lasting spell, but demons that have the spell are rare. I think the game is worth playing, but don't think you're too macho to ask for help when navigating the game's dated system.

SMT2 is more polished than SMT1. But it exchanges some of the pseudo-realistic setting for cyberpunk bull**** and you need to finish SMT1 first to fully understand the story. The encounter-prevention spell is now much easier to obtain.

Nocturne's dungeons and battles are similar to SMT4, but the story has a heavier emphasis on isolation. The story doesn't focus so much on how society responds to the apocalypse, since society has been wiped clean. So it has a somewhat different flavor than 1 or 4.

The Etrian Odyssey series is also worth a try, since it was originally intended to be an SMT game.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#4loki00_00Posted 9/30/2013 10:52:27 AM
Devil Survivor Overclocked is pretty cool. It's a drastically different style than the other games but it has one of the best stories in the series with lots of choice and branching paths and decent gameplay.

Get Nocturne. It's damn good. Don't wait, no time, just buy it now.

Soul Hackers was really fun, I enjoyed it from start to finish, but it's not really the best in the series or anything.

Also if you're into that kind of thing there's also Virtue's Last Reward. Not an SMT game, but it has lots of actors that worked on the Persona games, so if you liked those characters then you might enjoy it. 50 hour epic. Amazing game. Best branching plotlines that have ever been done in a game as far as I can tell.

Persona 4 is awesome. However, if possible I would recommend getting Persona 4 Golden because it's a strictly better game. I still have a lot of hate and spite towards my copy of Persona 4 because I know a better version exists.
---
The official Oni of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#5NaridarPosted 9/30/2013 11:07:04 AM
Virtue's last reward is a completely different genre, it's an adventure/hidden object/visual novel game, and without playing its' prequel, 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors (a really good game by itself but also not an RPG) basically incomprehensible.

SMT Strange Journey on the other hand is similar to SMT4 and is playable on a 3DS too. Soul Hackers is more of a hit-or-miss, but might be worth a try. Devil Survivor games have a tactical element to them - I don't really like the route they took but they might be worth your time. Persona 4 Golden is a must-try if you have a Vita, though.
---
The official Swampert of the Pokemon X/Y board
#6rubberchickenPosted 9/30/2013 3:46:11 PM
Well, that settles it. Clearly he must play 999 next.

:colbert:
---
VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VICI
#7ZetaStrikerPosted 10/1/2013 10:26:15 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned Digital Devil Saga. It lacks a few series staples like demon recruiting and fusing, but probably the best plot in the franchise outside of maybe Persona 4, which I never got a chance to play. I loved that they incorporated the plot element of devouring others into the gameplay too.
#8ICSTARS77(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 1:14:30 PM
So I ended up picking up devil survivor overclocked - wow that's a weird change of pace lol. It's fun so far in it's own right, but was not expecting that xD. Also, screw wendigo - think I really screwed up my stats and haven't been grinding and screwed up AH stuff, but even still, just screw you!
---
"God. I feel sorry for anyone that dates a woman. Seriously, we're impossible" - my friend who's a woman and is married.
#9BuchichuPosted 10/1/2013 1:47:22 PM
I quite enjoyed the Devil Survivor games but I have to say, Persona 4 is one of the best jrpgs I have ever played EVER (and I've played a lot) just a fantastic game on all levels.
---
3DS FC: 4398 9525 2123
AC Dream Address: 5100-2232-3861
#10DalekZeroPosted 10/1/2013 2:16:46 PM
ICSTARS77 posted...
So I ended up picking up devil survivor overclocked - wow that's a weird change of pace lol. It's fun so far in it's own right, but was not expecting that xD. Also, screw wendigo - think I really screwed up my stats and haven't been grinding and screwed up AH stuff, but even still, just screw you!

Devil Survivor is a great series, although the voice acting in overclocked is pretty bad IMO. Just know if you like the game and decide to pick up DS2, you might want to cool down from Devil Survivor for a bit. Its gameplay is ALMOST identical, and the concept is very similar too.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Fighting for peace is like f***ing for virginity - George Carlin (1937-2008)