I'm really not liking this game so far...

#1Halladay32Posted 9/30/2013 11:54:08 AM
I'm only three hours in, but I can't recall the last time I was this frustrated with a game. My only frame of reference as far as SMT games goes is Soul Hackers, but I really enjoyed that game and never found it this unfair. This game however, has:

- enemies that do a ridiculous amount of damage, even if they're lower level than me, even if it's not a weakness. (The bosses are especially nasty and seemingly over-leveled, and basically one-shot my demons unless they have a resistance to their attacks.) I mean, there's nothing I can even do to prevent this, which isn't usually a problem since I can take down enemies before they get a chance to attack, except:

- enemy recruitment that is so particular and thus beyond irritating. It seems like nine times out of ten, enemies will attack you when you try to talk to them. I have no idea why the requirements to get them to join your team is so strict. If you get presented with three options, it seems two of them will lead to the enemy attacking you, while the third correct option leads to you having to fork over a ridiculous amount of your inventory/Macca -- oh, don't have what they want? Too bad, attacked! In Soul Hackers, there were many more interactions between demons and you than simply getting attacked or joining your team.

- the worst Game Over cutscene in history. Is there any way to turn this off? I already wasted so much of my Macca trying to recruit demons, I'm not going to waste what little I have left on this stupid spiel I have to hear every, single, freakin' time.

- small thing, but Burroughs glitching out. I'm on the quest to find Navarre in Naraku, yet when I collect Gryphon Claws, or whatever they are, she still says things like, "Just one more to go!" even though I already did that quest. Does she bug out like this often? Has this specific glitch happened to anyone else?

Anyway, whatever, I recognize that this post in rambling and will probably be ridiculed, but if these things are bothering me now, should I continue, will it get better? Or should I just cut my losses now?

(I also really dislike Naraku, and the game's setting in general, but I assume this isn't the only place I'll explore during the game)
---
"Your nose is just a little closer to me than your ears."
#2Forsakenevil77Posted 9/30/2013 12:02:23 PM
It's not just you buddy, the very beginning of the game is unbearably hard, I myself died like 7 times. You can turn the difficulty down though or grind. Once past the dungeon your in the game gets waayyyyy easier.

Also Burroughs is not glitching out, that's just a repeatable quest and you can keep turning it in.
#3penguin_knightPosted 9/30/2013 12:03:17 PM(edited)
The beginning of this game is the hardest. After Naraku, things will go much easier.

As for communication with demons, there is really no formula. I don't even think there is always a right answer among the 3 choices. For the beginning, recruiting demons should be a separated task. Save, and then go recruit. If killed, reload. Don't recruit along the way or one wrong answer will annihilate your party. Also, kill all but only the one you wish to recruit before you talk, that way when the thing hits the fan, you only have one to deal with. Luk dictates some of the outcome of demon conversation, so you can invest some in Luk, or at least don't let it be horribly low. Later when you're stronger and able to hit them to near death, some demons will beg for life and join you for no condition as well.

The Griffon Claw is not a glitch. This kind of fetch-me-this quests can be done again and again. You can keep collecting them and turning them in for reward. The reward, however, will not be as lucrative as the first time completion, but nonetheless some extra income/items.
---
My SMTIV info thread: www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672441-shin-megami-tensei-iv/66751506
May the power of niyari be with you
#4Halladay32(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2013 12:18:09 PM
Ah, okay, I'm feeling more assured now, thanks guys. I guess I'll just power through then. I already reluctantly lowered the difficulty before the first battle with the hooded figure, because I just couldn't beat those snakes, and things do seem maybe a bit more manageable -- I did manage to take down the Wendigo and its horde easily enough, I guess.

Those are some good tips for demon recruiting too. I have been trying to combine grinding and recruiting, so I'll separate them from now on. And that's good to hear about Burroughs -- I probably wouldn't have mentioned it, but her constant notifications can get a bit tiresome, so I didn't like the thought that the game could glitch out and give you even more of them than was intended, lol.
---
#5ICSTARS77Posted 9/30/2013 12:35:25 PM
yea honestly for the early part of the game I wouldn't even both much with recruiting. Get a couple demons that you like and have good abilities, fuse when they obtain all their skills, and recruit to keep your party full. You can always use the compendium to use demons already fused or make new demons from one you already have and one you fused already to make sure you can get a demon that null/absorb/repel for really difficult bosses(like the 2nd big boss in naraku - will make that fight stupid easy). but yes the first couple bosses are difficult - find their weakness, build a team that has said spells/resistances just for them, then once you get out of naraku you will have a lot more freedom. It is still difficult and possible to get ORKO'd from a surprise attack, but the difficulty goes waaaaaaaay down at least for a bit, if for no other reason than there's a fair bit of running around/backtracking and you level up naturally from that whereas naraku is very linear.
---
"God. I feel sorry for anyone that dates a woman. Seriously, we're impossible" - my friend who's a woman and is married.
#6Nova666Posted 9/30/2013 5:02:33 PM(edited)
enemies that do a ridiculous amount of damage, even if they're lower level than me, even if it's not a weakness. (The bosses are especially nasty and seemingly over-leveled, and basically one-shot my demons unless they have a resistance to their attacks.) I mean, there's nothing I can even do to prevent this, which isn't usually a problem since I can take down enemies before they get a chance to attack

Welcome to Shin Megami Tensei.

Make sure you are using the buff skills like Rakukaja during long battles, and make sure the affinities (like Null Fire) of your demons help you in the boss battles. Nothing worse than showing up for a boss when having a demon weak to the element the boss uses.

BTW, feel free to abuse the save system, You don't even need to see Charon if you save regularly.
---
Nova666 = 50% win, 50% awesome, 50% OMG
That is 150% right thar.
~ Action
#7blassterPosted 9/30/2013 5:08:03 PM
Griffon's Claws quest is what we call repeatable quest, there are many other quests like that later and it's actually helpful for you to get extra macca on the 1st run.

Early game is rough, yeah, once you get pass tutorial, really need to grind on Naraku early level a lot unless you wanna risk dying on lower ground. Especially level 4 onwards. I would recommend not rushing anything while you still in Eastern Kingdom of Mikado. Grind Flynn, collect macca, recruit Naraku level 1-2 low level demon, do all quests for extra macca / equipment, and try as many fusion as you can so new demon always catch up with Flynn level.

For the battle itself, you pretty much need to be careful not to get ambushed if you can help it, and use press turn to your advantage early.

On top of my head, useful early Naraku demons to fuse;
Mokoi - Zio
Fuxi - Zan
Centaur - Bufu
Melchom - Agi
Napaea - Dia
---
Anticipating: DeSu BC.
Playing: Tales of Symphonia, LoH Moonlight Witch, SMT IV, Xenogears.
#8360pagesPosted 9/30/2013 5:13:41 PM
If this is any help, if you know what to do, you'll probably stop recruiting demons all together about mid game, though one could argue that is a flaw in the overall mechanic in the first place.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell (http://error1355.com/img/gif/gamefaqscant.gif)
#9Lelouch71Posted 9/30/2013 5:33:17 PM
Most of us got our ass handed to us in the beginning. It get easier.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#10Halladay32(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2013 5:44:39 PM
Nova666 posted...
enemies that do a ridiculous amount of damage, even if they're lower level than me, even if it's not a weakness. (The bosses are especially nasty and seemingly over-leveled, and basically one-shot my demons unless they have a resistance to their attacks.) I mean, there's nothing I can even do to prevent this, which isn't usually a problem since I can take down enemies before they get a chance to attack

Welcome to Shin Megami Tensei.

I never really encountered that during Soul Hackers though...

Although, I think the issue was just being under-leveled, as well as not having enough demons. I took down the demon that had captured Navarre extremely easily -- she only attacked me once and barely did any damage. It probably helped that I had two people with Agi and one with Tarukaja though

Oh, also, I've definitely been abusing the save system. I've saved like 40 times over the course of 4 hours, lol
---