Is this game awesome?

#1Octorok385Posted 10/11/2013 10:50:37 AM
I've been considering getting this since it was released. I've already got MH3U, EOU, ACNL and the impending Pokemans on my plate, but really should I get this? I've heard everything about it from "This is the best game ever" to "This is the most frustrating thing ever."

Really, is it something I'll keep coming back to?
---
3DS- 5112-3580-2982
#2MegaSlimePosted 10/11/2013 11:18:08 AM
There are parts of the game where I felt it was the most annoying thing ever, but in the end, I was satisfied with the purchase. There are multiple endings and a huge amount of demons to fuse so there are some things to come back to.
---
"Why is it whenever someone says 'with all due respect' they really mean 'kiss my ass'?"-Ashley, Mass Effect
High School Relationships: 99.9% Failure
#3sonofcasbahPosted 10/11/2013 1:56:34 PM
I loved it. Definitely one of the best JRPG's on 3DS right now.
---
PSN: SonOfCasbah
3DS FC: 3007-8570-9845
#4TyrantLowKeyPosted 10/11/2013 3:42:50 PM
I love it so far. Reminds me of the good old days when I used to play Nocturne all the time (even though I think the presentation in Nocturne was better because of this game being a FP RPG. I think that's the term for it). Actually until Bravely Default comes out, this game will definitely be my favorite jRPG on the 3DS, but I already like what I see so far on BD, and I am fairly certain it will atleast tie this game. Of course if they annouce a localization for DQVII in the US, then all bets are off...
---
All time favs: FFX Int., FFXIII, Shadow Heart Series, SMT: Nocturne, SMT IV, ToS, ToGF, TotA, ToX, FFT, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, ARF (Wii), LO (360), TO (PSP)
#5ItIsAPsyBorgPosted 10/11/2013 9:14:25 PM
It's indubitably a high quality game and much better than most of the trash gamers have nowadays. You should probably buy it. That said, here are pretty much all of the flaws of the game if you don't trust that statement:

- the unjustifiably sadistic reinforcement system will make you wonder what the hell Atlus was thinking. Basically, you can quite literally have your team swept in one turn on the basis of luck alone (this is the worst part of this game)

- SMT4 is NOT a dungeon crawler in the vein of early SMT, the game now has a clunky 3D overworld where first attack privileges are determined by whether you land an awkward sword attack or not; maps are incredibly easy to navigate for the most part

- the boss difficulties are poorly designed. In particular, the first two boss battles require a bit of luck to defeat and are the hardest bosses there are in the game; most of the other bosses are a joke; there are one or two bosses that demand unconventional strategizing (although it's not that hard to engage in such); meanwhile, the final boss (at least for the Chaos route) is nothing short of pathetic

- the Press Turn system, practically speaking, greatly favors magic-focused main character builds over anything else

Don't let these relatively minor flaws fool you, though. SMT4 is addicting and it merited an instant replay from me. It's a worthy successor to classic SMT. Have a go at it, it's practically guaranteed to be better than Pokemon X/Y.
#6VentwigPosted 10/12/2013 8:50:43 AM
ItIsAPsyBorg posted...
- the Press Turn system, practically speaking, greatly favors magic-focused main character builds over anything else

False, because if you have enough luck (which you should), a physical MC will be landing critical hits often, gaining extra turns with ease.
---
--- Official Turtwig of the Kingdom Hearts 3D Boards
Pie is yummy. And Kingdom Hearts is fun.
#7ItIsAPsyBorgPosted 10/12/2013 9:23:28 AM
Ventwig posted...
ItIsAPsyBorg posted...

False, because if you have enough luck (which you should), a physical MC will be landing critical hits often, gaining extra turns with ease.

Do you honestly believe this is as efficient as simply relying on magic? Even if you could score criticals every single time, you'd only have one element covered. Plus, you can score criticals on top of weakness exploitations by using magic.
#8sandslash1Posted 10/12/2013 9:54:30 AM
And you'll only have high enough luck by endgame, magic is clearly better for 95% of the game
---
a
#9DynamicJumpIuffPosted 10/12/2013 2:04:05 PM
ItIsAPsyBorg posted...
Ventwig posted...
ItIsAPsyBorg posted...

Do you honestly believe this is as efficient as simply relying on magic? Even if you could score criticals every single time, you'd only have one element covered. Plus, you can score criticals on top of weakness exploitations by using magic.

That's what demons are for.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#10ZeroX91Posted 10/12/2013 2:22:51 PM
When has magic not been favored in rpgs? Basically black, red, and blue mages will always be the best (and easiest) classes. Adaptability>>>>>specialization
---
Official Pyro Jack of the SMT IV board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOWef0Ic_QE