Looking to buy this game, what can you tell me about it?

#1GoldenSWarriorsPosted 12/11/2013 8:39:30 PM
So I want to get a 2DS or 3DS so I can play pokemon, but I don't want to get it just for one game. I've heard people say this game was pretty good. What do you actually do in this game? Is it a good game? I know absolutely nothing about games 1-3, can I still just jump in and start playing? Is it for the 3DS only, or the 2DS also?
---
GT: F3rocious Panda
http://i.minus.com/iyd6J984Oz8cy.gif
#2virtual_maniacPosted 12/11/2013 10:31:27 PM
First off the 2DS is a 3DS without the 3D visuals -- you can play 3DS games with the 3D turned off anyway. I do believe that the other difference is that the 2DS is a single, non-foldable device. So it's a bit bigger than a folded up 3DS.

SMT 4 is a standalone game.

And to quote rubberchicken from: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672441-shin-megami-tensei-iv/67993284

"[SMT 4 is] exactly like Pokemon, except that the Pokemon ask you for money and then try to kill you anyway."
---
Best pest control: KILL IT WITH FIERY HEAVEN!!!
#3itpersonPosted 12/11/2013 10:54:06 PM
virtual_maniac posted...

"[SMT 4 is] exactly like Pokemon, except that the Pokemon ask you for money and then try to kill you anyway."

Also, besides the beginning, it's not as hard as everybody makes it out to be. Just don't expect to go into every battle and think you can get away by auto attacking.
#4natchu96Posted 12/12/2013 1:12:03 AM
What they said about Pokemon, plus the point about this being a game of "kill fast or be killed faster".

Whichever side of the battle that can consistently double their number of turns with abusing the Press Turn battle system is probably going to win no matter how good or bad your stats are.

Story wise, be prepared for some moral crossroads. And two of those roads aren't pretty.
---
"Luna, I'm afraid he's right. You can't go around calling people that, even if in this case it appears to be the truth." - Sena on a certain pedophile
#5Shadow_Master_JPosted 12/12/2013 3:26:59 AM
Not required to play any other games to understand this one, although there are some references to Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, but they are minor.

IMO, this is one of the greatest, and one of the easiest, games of the series, so newcomers can start with this game without (many) problems. It must be noted, however, that the beginning is brutally hard, then it gets easier as you progress in the game and understand how the battle mechanics work.

The plot is very dark, and involves some serious and philosophic stuff. There isn't much character development on it, but you may like or feel attached to some characters. The game has great soundtrack and a pretty good Voice Acting, too.

That's all I can say without spoiling, though.
---
If you're reading this, CONGRATULATIONS!! You're wasting your time!!
#6Flipsider99Posted 12/12/2013 7:27:37 AM
This game is fantastic and you should absolutely get it. Also the 3DS is a great system, probably has the best game library of any system on the market right now. I'd highly recommend getting a 3DS XL, not a normal 3DS or 2DS because for certain games the 3D can be unbelievably cool. Also besides this game and Pokemon, I'd also recommend Fire Emblem, Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies, Etrian Oddysey, Virtue's Last Reward, Monster Hunter, and Animal Crossing.
#7ShirokaidoPosted 12/12/2013 9:13:00 AM
Listen to all of these posts. I've got an XL and love it to death (I've even brought it to work today!). Plus, the post above me is spot on with other good games to get. Oh, and the new Zelda. Love that. But my favorite thing about this is the background on demons. As you collect them, you can read bios of their mythology. It's rather spectacular seeing how violent the worship practices of the Aztecs were, for example.
#8DespondentDeityPosted 12/15/2013 2:10:38 AM
This game is pretty ugly
---
http://i.imgur.com/k0VJ3.png
Ariel would just be weird and you have more things to worry about than not being as gay as you hoped. -nudojudo
#9natchu96Posted 12/15/2013 5:17:14 PM
DespondentDeity posted...
This game is pretty ugly

Demons aren't a pretty subject.
---
"Luna, I'm afraid he's right. You can't go around calling people that, even if in this case it appears to be the truth." - Sena on a certain pedophile
#10Count_SylverionPosted 12/15/2013 6:42:45 PM
GoldenSWarriors posted...
So I want to get a 2DS or 3DS so I can play pokemon, but I don't want to get it just for one game. I've heard people say this game was pretty good. What do you actually do in this game? Is it a good game? I know absolutely nothing about games 1-3, can I still just jump in and start playing? Is it for the 3DS only, or the 2DS also?

It's not pokemon. I love every SMT game. don't expect pokemon. go look at some reviews and gameplay from youtube or something if you dont have any idae what youre getting into.

It's mature for a reason. Nudity and stuff shouldnt bother you if u wanna play this game. (demon nudity that is. Even a couple demon wangs in there)