Is this game watered down from Nocturne and DDS?

#1miamisubsPosted 12/26/2013 12:52:38 PM
I've played Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga (and also Persona 3, though that seems less relevant). Haven't played any of the older SMTs though, nor the miscellaneous ones like Strange Journey or Devil whatever it is.

Anyway, I'm wondering how this game compares to its console brethren. Presumably it has a simpler presentation, which should be just fine. But what about the overall game design? The battle mechanics, the world and dungeon layouts, and so forth.

Also, as somebody who's never played an Etrian Odyssey game, I'm mildly curious how those compare to SMT4 -- any reason to potentially get one over this game? Probably not, I'm guessing.

Thanks for any advice.
#2sandslash1Posted 12/26/2013 1:41:56 PM(edited)
-The dungeons are really short (which I'm totally fine with)
-Battle mechanics are the same as Nocturne afaik, but the games much easier despite the characters' lower defenses
-The atmosphere isn't "dark" like nocturne if you're into that

Still, I wouldn't consider this game watered down, it's really amazing and I slightly prefer it over nocturne (but not DDS2!). And keep in mind it's currently on sale for $30
---
a
#3takaweaponXPosted 12/26/2013 1:31:15 PM(edited)
I would describe it as more polished and a tad easier (except in the beginning and end of the game).

The atmosphere is still pretty dark, but not as dark as DDS or Nocturne.
#4miamisubs(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2013 1:31:01 PM
Hmm, sounds good to me. Where's it on sale, btw? US eShop is down for me at the moment. :/
#5sandslash1Posted 12/26/2013 1:44:11 PM
Yeah on eShope, I remember someone saying best buy has it on sell as well but that's in Canada right? <_<
---
a
#6RyuReiatsuPosted 12/26/2013 3:01:34 PM
&amp;lt;cite&amp;gt;sandslash1 posted...&amp;lt;/cite&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;quote&amp;gt;Yeah on eShope, I remember someone saying best buy has it on sell as well but that's in Canada right? &amp;lt;_&amp;lt;&amp;lt;/quote&amp;gt;

Yep, bestbuy in Canada. I don't know about the States.

But it's sold out online and the online delivery dates are crap. I've ordered mine on the 24th at 8 PM. Best Buy said I'd receive my items two days later at most, and haven't mentioned anything about holidays delay or anything.

Now, stupid Canada Post shows that the expected delivery date is on the 30th. That is huge horse s***. Unless you wanna wait for almost a week, I'd say the digital version is worth getting.