I have a question for those who've played both SMT and Persona.

#1RetroGamerGuyPosted 2/27/2014 3:36:00 AM
What exactly is it that some of you don't like about the P3 and P4 types of games? Now I'm not saying that all of you think that way but sometime ago I saw some guys saying how they wish that Atlus would stop giving so much love to the Persona series and go back to the roots of SMT. I wouldn't know because I've never played any of the main series games but I've played P3, P4 and am currently going through P4G. I know about the complaints that say " it's so light-hearted now " " these games can be beaten by a kid " and my favorite one was and still is " It's a dating sim "

I know that P4 was pretty light-hearted compared to the regular SMT series but there's nothing wrong with it. It just means it's light-hearted.

The second one's true because I've beaten these games and I'm only 13. Not afraid to admit that. But there are still moments where I get absolutely murdered just because the enemy had an advantage.

And for the last one all I have to say is SO?!
#2Shadow_Master_JPosted 2/27/2014 4:00:53 AM(edited)
I like Persona, and have no problem with the dating sim part of P3 and P4. My only complaints with P4 are that it's plot is terribad, and the characters are average at best, but the gameplay is awesome, so it kinda makes up.

Persona 2 and Persona 3 don't have the plot/character problems I pointed on P4, and I enjoy them a lot.

Main SMT fans and Persona fans have this strange kind of hate that I don't understand much. I think Main SMT fans just want the main series to grow, and don't like the idea that a spin-off actually does better on sales and popularity, thus the "hate". Then Persona fans react "hating" the main series. That's my view on it, I don't know if I'm correct, though.

EDIT: Please, for the love of YHVH, don't ask me why I think P4's plot terribad. I don't want to quote myself again. Go for the "Sigh... Another persona game" thread on Persona Q board if you want to know.
---
If you're reading this, CONGRATULATIONS!! You're wasting your time!!
#3AngelVanishedPosted 2/27/2014 3:50:38 AM
I can't speak for the group as a whole, but personally I only take issue with P4, and it's mainly just a matter of taste. I didn't like how almost any of the issues were handled, I didn't like the plot, I was apathetic towards most of the characters and I certainly didn't like the true ending that came out of NOWHERE and required a very difficult-to-guess line of specific answers in the hospital.
---
The official Tiamat and Chiaki of the SMTIV board.
#4metamaraPosted 2/27/2014 5:43:51 AM
P4 is meant to be light hearted and there is nothing with that.

When rabid persona fanboys think p4 is the best thing since sliced bread, want everything to be a p4 clone and start complaining everything beyond their meager abilities in other megaten games, what do you think? Even the coffeekid couldn't endure smt iii on normal mode, which is only half the damage of hard mode.
---
Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh
#5alrduPosted 2/27/2014 7:25:27 AM
metamara posted...
P4 is meant to be light hearted and there is nothing with that.

When rabid persona fanboys think p4 is the best thing since sliced bread, want everything to be a p4 clone and start complaining everything beyond their meager abilities in other megaten games

You could say the same for SMT fanboys, lol. There are rabid SMT fans, just like there are Persona ones. In this case, SMT fanboys will complain about the Persona series for not being dark, hard or complex enough and therefore its inferior to every SMT game, while also forgetting that Persona is a spin off title and isn't created with the intention of being like an SMT game.

I think any rational person can like both series, just like any rational person can prefer one over the other. It's just the vocal minorities that try to shove each others' respective games down each others throat.
#6sevihaimerejPosted 2/27/2014 7:30:00 AM
I agree fully with metamara and AngelVanished, a pure matter of opinion which some fans of P4 take as undeniable fact. I don't even really dislike P4 all that much, it's just one of the laziest most repetitive stories in the Megaten franchise. For most of the game it goes like this:

Shadow-hey there buddy, you know I'm you right?
Victim-no you're not, I don't even like fat girls
S-no, you totally do.
V-nope, not at all
S-well, how about a boss fight then.
V-I do always say that...I guess you are me. PERSONAAAAAA.... (comatose for a few weeks)

Other than that, the gameplay is still great (gets a bit TOO easy beginning with the second dungeon though) and the bosses have really interesting designs, I just hold the story up to such a high level of scrutiny because of how good the plot is in every other Persona game is.
---
The Official Kartikeya and Dahn Tsukigata of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#7Akihiko__SanadaPosted 2/27/2014 8:25:18 AM
I'm more annoyed by Persona fans, than I am of the actual games.
---
Personal GOTY: Etrian Odyssey IV
#8MoranitePosted 2/27/2014 1:59:18 PM
Akihiko__Sanada posted...
I'm more annoyed by Persona fans, than I am of the actual games.

This.
I love Persona, all of it, but the fans make me sad.
---
The official Uriel of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Moranite
#9RetroGamerGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2014 2:30:58 PM
Shadow_Master_J posted...
I like Persona, and have no problem with the dating sim part of P3 and P4. My only complaints with P4 are that it's plot is terribad, and the characters are average at best, but the gameplay is awesome, so it kinda makes up.

Persona 2 and Persona 3 don't have the plot/character problems I pointed on P4, and I enjoy them a lot.

Main SMT fans and Persona fans have this strange kind of hate that I don't understand much. I think Main SMT fans just want the main series to grow, and don't like the idea that a spin-off actually does better on sales and popularity, thus the "hate". Then Persona fans react "hating" the main series. That's my view on it, I don't know if I'm correct, though.

EDIT: Please, for the love of YHVH, don't ask me why I think P4's plot terribad. I don't want to quote myself again. Go for the "Sigh... Another persona game" thread on Persona Q board if you want to know.

Huh. For me it's the other way around. To me the story and characters are extremely awesome. But the gameplay... Err well let's just say there have been times when I was playing P4G in a car and one second I'm in a fight then a bumb jolts me awake, I find my vita turned off and my party dead. Not saying that the gameplays terrible but for me it's in the story, characters, and soundtrack.

I also don't really understand why they have that hate for each other. I don't get why some of them can't appreciate what each series does. The Persona fans should appreciate that SMT is basically what allowed Persona to exist in the first place. And the SMT fans should appreciate that Persona makes Atlus money and allows them to bring out games like SMT4
#10MoranitePosted 2/27/2014 4:10:07 PM
Shadow_Master_J posted...

Well, I loved P4, but after looking at that topic, you have a point.
On a side note, I'm really looking forward to PQ it's gonna be awesome.
---
The official Uriel of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Moranite