Does this game really get too easy after the beginning?

#1BlackSheepWallsPosted 6/21/2014 2:11:25 AM
Is it true?
#2Shadow_Master_JPosted 6/21/2014 3:07:34 AM
Not exactly "too" easy, but much easier than the beginning (the beginning is brutal even for the series' standard). On mid-game onwards you'll only die by incompetence or against some bosses.
---
If you're reading this, CONGRATULATIONS!! You're wasting your time!!
#3NextGenCowboyPosted 6/21/2014 4:39:59 AM
It depends on your SMT experience usually. It starts out hard, and spikes early, after that, you're given more options, more app points, more levels, etc.

The game does rise in challenge again at the end, especially the last few dungeons and bosses, but by that point most people are so overleveled, or have such a powerful party that they won't notice. If you play through on Hard though, the game will go something like : Extremely Hard > Normal > Hard (for endgame bosses/bonus bosses).

This is in relation to most other SMT games though, which are harder than other games in the genre (traditionally speaking). It's still the easiest SMT game on the whole (outside of P4: Golden maybe?), just because battles can end so quickly, skills can be transferred freely, and you can save almost anywhere.
---
"Showing off is the fool's idea of glory" ~ Bruce Lee
#4rieszaPosted 6/21/2014 5:24:48 AM
If you're familiar with SMT games then yes. If you're new, you'll probably still find it challenging.
#5StormfeatherPosted 6/21/2014 9:13:15 AM
And keep in mind that since this is an SMT game, judged by SMT standards, "easier after the beginning" still means that if you screw up hitting the enemy on the field and don't get first strike in, you can still get totally wiped out by a random encounter group before you even have a chance to act. Or you can be in trouble if you don't have the right set of demons for the magic types you're fighting and/or don't have Flynn set up right.

Of course, you can still come back to life right at the same spot by paying Macca (urgh) or Play Coins (better), so it doesn't count as a Game Over and that might be part of the "easier" consideration.
---
Please insert witty quote here.
3DS Friend Code: 0559 7534 8937 AC Dream Address: 4100 2146 2004
#6dpavol1Posted 6/21/2014 5:14:41 PM
I think the SMT 2 was probably the best in terms of difficulty (except for the nightmarish navigational problems). Nocturne was too hard for me to really enjoy at times, although the story and the game world were even better than SMT 2. I hope this one will have a similar atmosphere at least.
---
"When I die, I want you to bury me on this hill under that there shade tree...with my hanglider, so when zombie times come I can attack from above."
#7Recon868Posted 6/21/2014 9:07:52 PM
I found it incredibly easy after the beginning if you abuse boss weaknesses
#8CogitoPosted 6/21/2014 10:05:46 PM
You get more choices as you go further.

mobbing
in early, you may be stuck with single target agi.
When you go further, you get maragi so your mobbing gets better.
Even further, you get concentrate, which boosts your next magic spell by x2.5. Instead of 2 maragi (200%), concentrate + maragi (250%) is stronger.
In addition, having more levels means the pkayer can focus more stats on damage, reaching to a point flynn can do 2-3 times damage of his demons rather early in the game.

support
Early game, your party is likely to have slot limitations.
since new players are unlikely to understand the benefits of buff/debuff, chances are they lose out and end up on relying on "chance" repeatedly to bail them out of the naraku guardian.
with rakukaja, fang breaker and sukukaja, the boss would struggle to win and its real chance of winning was the first round of crit -> smirk -> crit combo when the player is still setting up buffs and debuffs.

Later on, you can use doping to increase maxhp during battle so your party are able to take more damage during bossing.
In addition, there are two support spells that made a fool out of many bosses in midgame.
---
Hito wa mikake ni yoranu mono
#9ItIsAPsyBorgPosted 6/22/2014 6:24:41 AM
dpavol1 posted...
I think the SMT 2 was probably the best in terms of difficulty (except for the nightmarish navigational problems). Nocturne was too hard for me to really enjoy at times, although the story and the game world were even better than SMT 2. I hope this one will have a similar atmosphere at least.

You think SMT2 had "nightmarish navigational problems"? Did you even play SMT1?

SMT2 is my favorite SMT because of its plot, but it's not exactly the hardest.
#10eatthatmeatballPosted 7/4/2014 11:22:26 AM
Imo, the game doesn't get "easier" per se, it just turns into Pokemon where all you do is use your one attack that kills all the enemies on the field in one turn.
The game really is luck-based (and I don't mean the stat); it's luck if you get the first-turn (attack initiation aside), luck that all your skills hit and you don't miss, and luck that if you don't get the first-turn (May God have mercy on your macca/play coins if you go second) you don't have your MC/half your demon roster die in the first round.

The game is hard in stupid ways. I played Strange Journey and even in that game you didn't die as much as you do in this one.

I've beaten and lost to bosses by luck alone. I didn't even grind lvls in between attempts, I just tried it again and what-do-you-know, I won because the boss used his crap moves instead of his cheese moves.
Sometimes your only chance against a boss is to literally kill them in the 1st round of combat by press-turning and smirking over and over, and hope that they don't use their cheese move on their turn of which they all have at least one. Luck, Luck, and more Luck.

I like this game/series, but the Luck thing is annoying. I did one quest where you do a series of 4 battles, and I tried it multiple times because I kept dieing. How far I got was entirely dependent on what skills the enemy used on their first turn (the enemy always went first in this particular quest), and whether or not I could kill them when it finally was my turn. I beat it eventually after many tries. How did I beat it? LUCK!!! The enemy happened to use all their crap moves instead of their Mabufula's and Mazan's and getting press turns because someone was bound to be weak to one of those moves, and I won! Imagine that! What skill I must have!

Wrong; it was all luck. =P