Character tier speculation

#1Giru 017Posted 3/21/2013 3:43:39 PM(edited)
Based on existing gameplay videos (where there is never a health o super bar) and based purely on performance, how do you feel this games tiers will look like at launch?

This isn't a "I WANNA PICK TOP TIER" topic, more of a "how fleshed out (or competitive) do these characters feel. The following is my list, based on what we know so far and other fighting games (MK9, SF:4, SFxT, KoF 98/02/13, BlazBlue, Persona and Guilty Gear)

For additional footage, check this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e-6kc4y-uGQ

S tier: The Flash

A+ tier: Batman, Aquaman, Shazam

A tier: Joker (if "Ha" trait is confirmed), Superman, Sinestro, Nightwing

B tier: Wonder Woman, Grundy, Bane, Luthor, Green Arrow, Catwoman, Raven, Deathstroke

C+ tier: Cyborg, Green Lantern

C tier: Doomsday, Hawk Girl, Joker (without "Ha" trait)

F tier: Harley

Of course, traits will play a MAJOR factor in all of this, as said, it's only speculation at this point, but this is the general feel I get so far, based of comboability, speed, jump arcs and general showings (being fully aware that battle arena is a popularity contest). Again, this is based on competitive value for these characters. Thoughts?
---
-=The Slackers=- *The High Priest of Slackerism and perpetual E-Vileness*
#2JacornonthecobPosted 3/21/2013 3:38:23 PM
Which Green Lantern is Green Artow? And why is Doomsday so low?
#3RagirothPosted 3/21/2013 3:38:28 PM
Oh just so you know you put Green Lantern twice. Was that intentional? lol

Also I think in some cases it is hard to say, since there's some characters we've BARELY seen anything of as opposed to others we've seen a bunch of.
---
http://z8.invisionfree.com/Final_Chase_Zone/index.php?
PSN-Ragiroth
#4Jimbo190Posted 3/21/2013 3:40:05 PM
Its just to early man, can we at least wait to the 9th when the prima strategy guide releases to speculate?
#5luucianoPosted 3/21/2013 3:46:41 PM
Tiers are for scrubs.
#6Jump_Man7Posted 3/21/2013 3:48:18 PM
Batman Tier:
Batman

Goku Tier:
Everyone else
---
Your arms are too short to box with God
-Our the CM Punk, day 414
#7Giru 017(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 3:49:02 PM
Fixed the 2x Green Lantern. Thanks.

And yeah, it's waaaaaay to early, but as said, it's the general feel I get. I'm sure I'm not the only one making Kabal parallels to The Flash, and his combos seems very quick. Then again, it comes down to the question IS THERE CHIP DAMAGE HERE LIKE IN MK amongst many other things (which Supers are unblockables? How will armor work? How will traits affect things?)

I just wanted to talk on what we know/have seen and see how it ends up shaping up as more info is released. I didn't include Adam since we only have some slight background footage of him, but Hawk Girl got a showing. Short and bad one, but she's shown us her stuff.

Doomsday is low simply because I do not feel him as a good character on his video. He lacked anything that really stood out. His rush-down seemed too telegraphed and, if it had been an actual fight, I actually think Shazam would have ended up doing more damage. Maybe I'm wrong, but that video just didn't make Doomsday to look very stand-out-ish. Bane seemed better in every regard. But again, traits may yet make the difference, since Doomsday is sure to have auto-block/super-armor as a trait.
---
#8Giru 017(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 3:52:18 PM
luuciano posted...
Tiers are for scrubs.

What's that supposed to mean anyways? Like them or not, they exist. You may not agree with them or decide to ignore them, but in every fighting game, unless all characters are identical, tiers will exist.

Now, if you play and select your character exclusively because they are high-tier, yeah, that's a scrub. Then again, picking a good character won't make a bad player any better. And MK had a very nice tier set... Other than Kabal and Kung Lao dominating the top, the high tier was very large and varied, with lots of options and even low tier characters like Quan Chi were REALLY good if used properly and competitive, simply harder to use. Everything except Sheeva really.
---
#9dualkatanafredPosted 3/21/2013 3:55:03 PM
What's the "Ha" trait supposed to be?
#10I_phantomPosted 3/21/2013 4:01:44 PM
Most of the gameplay videos haven't even been from the final build. I assume the game is gold at this point but things were still changing from the 1st to the 2nd round of the Battle Arena.

Cyborg and Flash certainly looked top in early videos but being good in early development is usually a bad sign. Chun Li was top tier in MVC3 at one point for example.