Fightstick or controller?

#1Pandasaurus22Posted 4/19/2013 6:26:50 AM
Was just wondering wich option people consider better for this game and some pros n cons?
Does character and play style matter also?
#2The_UrgePosted 4/19/2013 6:31:35 AM
I use a stick. From my experiences the stick is sooooo much easier to use than pad when it comes to fighting games.
#3DireProphecyPosted 4/19/2013 6:45:43 AM
I actually tried both for this game. At first I was using controller but in practice mode I was trying to do this combo string where I had to input Square - Triangle - X (123) immediately when landing (I swear it felt like a 1 frame link). I realized it would be easier on the fightstick. For pushing a sequence of buttons as fast, cleanly and accurately as possible a stick is way better. Many difficult strings in this game will require you to input 3-4 buttons in a very short amount of frames and so stick is better.
#4SoaD0031Posted 4/19/2013 7:09:49 AM
Arcade stick is much better. It is so much easier to block with an arcade stick. My stick setup is this:

L M H
T Mb I

I keep 3 fingers on the L M H, and my thumb on the trait button. This allows me to do things a lot quicker than I would be able to do with a controller.
---
PSN: SoaD_009
#5RagnoraokPosted 4/19/2013 7:14:37 AM
depends on your preference. I bought a fightstick just for King of Fighters 13(that series is notorious for having ridiculously strict input), and I could literally do nothing. I practiced for weeks on it, and I could not do a singlecancel. I decided to use my ps3 controller, and I was much more successful. I am used to the ps controller so it is easier, but have never played an arcade stick beforehand. If you are asking because you want to get more into the game, the answer is due to your preference. If you have never used one, then you will need to spend a long time getting acclimated to it, but by then, you could have been used to the ps3 controller. I wasted $170 on that fightstick....just to suffer from the same input issues I had with the ps3. It is all about timing and muscles memory.
---
Here at gamefaqs, you are either a troll, noob, or fanboy.....not like it matters, we are all losers anyways.
#6FF_FiendPosted 4/19/2013 7:20:16 AM
Not trying to troll stick users, but I've never understood why someone enjoys mashing 6 or even 8 face buttons lines up in rows as opposed to buttons that are designed to be accessible with a slight movement of a single finger. To me, playing a game like this with a stick is like trying to control your ps3 using a small midi-keyboard lol.

I get that it's probably fun to make it feel like an old arcadey title, but as for accuracy and quickness, I just don't see it being possible.
---
Playing: Mass Effect Trilogy (PS3), Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS), Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Vita)
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg
#7arob22Posted 4/19/2013 7:23:42 AM
Not trying to troll stick users, but I've never understood why someone enjoys mashing 6 or even 8 face buttons lines up in rows as opposed to buttons that are designed to be accessible with a slight movement of a single finger. To me, playing a game like this with a stick is like trying to control your ps3 using a small midi-keyboard lol.

I get that it's probably fun to make it feel like an old arcadey title, but as for accuracy and quickness, I just don't see it being possible.

but is more accurate especially in SF games with those qcf inputs where it's easier to input it on a stick then a pad
---
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/terrell2483/iaf_zps7e185185.gif http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt243/terrell2483/igs_zps14cabeab.gif
#8DirtyToenailsPosted 4/19/2013 7:29:26 AM
FF_Fiend posted...

The stick doesn't hurt my thumb after playing for a while and the buttons on a stick are more accessible, contrary to what you think. I don't really have to move my fingers since they are already on the buttons to begin with. I can hit 1,2,3 much faster because I'm using 3 fingers instead of one big fat slow thumb.

In games like Tekken, it's a huge help for the moves that require two button inputs that are awkward on a controllers. Hitting Triangle+X has always been a nightmare for me on pad, but it's second nature on a stick.
#9DarkAdonis123Posted 4/19/2013 7:34:22 AM
SoaD0031 posted...
Arcade stick is much better. It is so much easier to block with an arcade stick. My stick setup is this:

L M H
T Mb I

I keep 3 fingers on the L M H, and my thumb on the trait button. This allows me to do things a lot quicker than I would be able to do with a controller.

I also use a stick with a similar configuration.

L M H
MB T I

I wanted the top to be attacks for sure. I didn't care what order the bottom 3 were, but its been working for me.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#10gtsgunnerPosted 4/19/2013 7:55:45 AM
FF_Fiend posted...

Try doing run stop fierce with elfuerte from SF4 on the pad and then try it on a controller. There are some inputs on the pad that just feel impossible compared to using a stick.

I find a stick is way better for button inputs because you can literally do things like piano inputs or press 3 buttons at the same time easily. Also things like Kara-throws from sf are much easier for this reason.
---
Xbox Live gt: Gtsgunner
El Fuerte for life !Que Rico!