There is no way to justify spamming

#1skip2malu52Posted 4/23/2013 11:45:03 PM
I've seen a lot of people on here defending or trying to justify spamming. Well, guess what, spamming is lame and that is really all there is to it.

It is un-sportmanslike to spam, that's a fact. What is skillful or even fun about standing on one side of the screen doing the same move over and over? Nothing unless all you care about is your record and ruining matches for other people. "Free wins"? lol, please, learn2play.

And yes, it is your job as the opponent/player to put up a good and fair fight for the person you are playing against. It is just the right thing to do. There is no other way around it.

And no, I don't even encounter spammers often (I wont bother playing online due to input lag as well as spammers) but a lot of the comments on here just make me shake my head.

I don't care about Deathstroke or think he needs to be nerfed or anything like that. Any character can be abused (albeit some more than others), it is up to you to not be a scrub and just play for real.

inb4 get better at getting around it. No, there is nothing fun about that and is much harder than it sounds. I see people make this argument all the time and I think it is totally ridiculous to be expected to do that, especially against certain characters. I'm not going to waste my time playing with someone who rather mash the same input over and over than fight fairly.

Thoughts? I'm interested in seeing a genuinely logical, fair, and reasonable reason for why it is okay to spam. If none can be presented, I've proven my point.
#2GujinKamiPosted 4/23/2013 11:47:10 PM
spamming is lame and that is really all there is to it.

It is, you aren't wrong. Thing is though, you can counter spamming with patience and having the ability to block. They want to constantly spam moves that'll put them at negative frames? Fine by me, I'll punish with 30%'s every time.
---
~Gujin
http://i.imgur.com/GXFnB14.jpg http://i.imgur.com/ZjREIw7.jpg http://i.imgur.com/fPS9ys4.gif
#3skip2malu52(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 11:48:48 PM
^ True, but is that even fun? Like wouldn't you rather have an evenly matched, epic battle with someone? And again, some characters are just really tough to punish when they have quick projectiles with like 0 cooldown.
#4GujinKamiPosted 4/23/2013 11:49:34 PM
when they have quick projectiles with like 0 cooldown.

Who?
---
~Gujin
http://i.imgur.com/GXFnB14.jpg http://i.imgur.com/ZjREIw7.jpg http://i.imgur.com/fPS9ys4.gif
#5dbwangerPosted 4/23/2013 11:51:14 PM
skip2malu52 posted...
I've seen a lot of people on here defending or trying to justify spamming. Well, guess what, spamming is lame and that is really all there is to it.

It is un-sportmanslike to spam, that's a fact. What is skillful or even fun about standing on one side of the screen doing the same move over and over? Nothing unless all you care about is your record and ruining matches for other people. "Free wins"? lol, please, learn2play.

And yes, it is your job as the opponent/player to put up a good and fair fight for the person you are playing against. It is just the right thing to do. There is no other way around it.

And no, I don't even encounter spammers often (I wont bother playing online due to input lag as well as spammers) but a lot of the comments on here just make me shake my head.

I don't care about Deathstroke or think he needs to be nerfed or anything like that. Any character can be abused (albeit some more than others), it is up to you to not be a scrub and just play for real.

inb4 get better at getting around it. No, there is nothing fun about that and is much harder than it sounds. I see people make this argument all the time and I think it is totally ridiculous to be expected to do that, especially against certain characters. I'm not going to waste my time playing with someone who rather mash the same input over and over than fight fairly.

Thoughts? I'm interested in seeing a genuinely logical, fair, and reasonable reason for why it is okay to spam. If none can be presented, I've proven my point.

Sounds like a competitive game isn't for you.
---
PSN: MR_McDull
#6skip2malu52(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 11:54:22 PM(edited)
I'll admit, even though I don't think Deathstroke is as bad as a lot of people are making him out to be that down-forward square projectile of his is brutal and can be abused badly.

Also, characters in other fighting games too, Doctor Doom and Arthur from MVC3 come to mind.

dbwanger posted...

Psh, please, I've been playing games competitively for years.
#7Haelion_Posted 4/23/2013 11:56:54 PM
skip2malu52 posted...
It is un-sportmanslike to spam, that's a fact.

No it's not.

What is skillful or even fun about standing on one side of the screen doing the same move over and over? Nothing unless all you care about is your record and ruining matches for other people. "Free wins"? lol, please, learn2play.

If they do the same move over and over they should be an easy win.

Different people find different things fun. Nobody is obligated to make things fun for you. And what is 'fair' anyway? How many times is it acceptable to use a move before it is "spam"? I want an exact number.

Expect a lot of people shaking their heads at you.

I can't think of anyone who has ever proved a point by saying "It's not fair because it's hard." It's not like there's any character where they can use the same move over and over and it takes 20 hours of practice to learn to get around it. You can deal with putting 5 minutes into fiddling with the record/playback function in training.

And again, why do YOU get to decide what "fairly" is?

You can't define spam. You've given no specific reason why it isn't fair. There's no reason to be found here why it isn't okay to "spam".

I probably just got trolled by writing all this out, but I'm sure there's someone that needs to hear it.
---
GT- Haelion W
Justice League Member: Bernie Mac
#8FurryyifferPosted 4/23/2013 11:57:20 PM
skip2malu52 posted...
I'll admit, even though I don't think Deathstroke is as bad as a lot of people are making him out to be that down-forward square projectile of his is brutal and can be abused badly.

Also, characters in other fighting games too, Doctor Doom and Arthur from MVC3 come to mind.

dbwanger posted...

Psh, please, I've been playing games competitively for years.

.......you're kidding right, zam? Arthur? Arthur is a character you complain about? He's awful for the most part.
---
Ryuho, mate to Mizuki ^-^
Forever in my heart.
#9skip2malu52(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 12:00:13 AM(edited)
To healion: And I feel like I've been trolled just by reading that. Surely you can't be serious.

Any right-minded individual should not disagree with anything I said. It's all pretty self explanatory.

No, I don't define what fair is or what spamming is. You know what is fair and what isn't, don't act like spamming isn't BS, whether I defined what it is or not.

My idea of spamming would be standing on one side of the screen and doing the same projectile over and over.
#10DBoyeePosted 4/24/2013 12:01:06 AM
I don't really complain about spammers but I admit it really does annoy the heck out of me when they're the one that ends up winning a tournament (with a nice prize). I lost to a Deathstroke who only used his guns at a Gamestop Launch Tourney, and he ended up winning it.