Ayone else hate Nolan's batman persona?

#121DegalonPosted 5/5/2013 10:32:29 PM
UnderratedGamer posted...

How does any of that pertain to "overrated"? You just generalized all of that by a large margin. And there's no connection to: "Hey look at all of my generalizations! Therefore, this movie is overrated."

So trying to be realistic is WORSE than complete drivel like some of the other batman movies?

Also, who said any of the are supposed to be 100% realistic? If you hate movies that aren't realistic, then you hate literally EVERY fantasy movie ever made. It added realistic ELEMENTS to enlighten the story a bit. Didn't you pay attention to detail? It added the economic factors of Wayne Enterprises to make it seem like the company isn't an infinitely generating flow of money. Another realistic factor was the humanistic traits and emotions that Bruce Wayne when dealing with bruises, age, and etc. He also had struggles of a real life human rather than some robotic invincible superhero that can live through just about ANYTHING. Another last factor was that they actually added the police force drama. Obviously, if there's a vigilante on the loose, the police are going to RECKON with that force. In these movies, the officers were at almost EVERY crime scene as they should in real life. Unlike confrontations in earlier movies, where were they in those other movies? Sitting on their asses at the donut shop?

That last sentence is flat out dumb. Who was "growling like a 12 year old"? Out of the three movies, who honestly growls like a 12 year old. Batman? I remembering him whispering and talking without his voice box to cover up his identity, but that's really it.

Yeah, they took out more Batman so that you could see more of BRUCE F****** WAYNE. You know, the guy that IS him? Adding Bruce Wayne in the picture gives you a look of his persona. How he deals with being batman, the pros and cons and such. I don't see how taking something away only to bring in something better suddenly turns the vital role of batman into being "pretentious". There still is Batman, and a lot of it. But i'd rather not watch some guy beating the holy hell out of bad guys for 2 hours thank you very much.

Stop putting those darn comic books on the pedestal. Just because the movies don't follow every inch of the comics doesn't make it bad. It's called innovation, and it worked quite well. Stop sucking the d**** of every comic book and let the movies be awesome as well.

1) This movie wasn't "innovating". People don't go to a Batman movie to see something that isn't Batman. It's supposed to be an ADAPTATION, which is something it completely fails at. What Nolan did instead, was take the batman name, then do his own thing with it. Good film, terrible Batman movie.

2) Christian Bale was growling like a 12 year old. That's been one of, if not the biggest criticism of the entire series, is that utterly childish and silly "growly voice" he does when being Batman.

3) "stop putting the comic books on a pedestal?" It's a COMIC BOOK MOVIE, genius. It doesn't need to be an exact copy, but it needs to at least RESEMBLE the source material.

3) Bruce Wayne is the mask. Batman is the real identity. That has been how Batman works for decades. Ergo, why should we care about looking at Bruce Wayne over Batman? Even BATMAN doesn't like having to act as Bruce Wayne. People aren't going to see Bruce Wayne, they are going to see Batman.
---
GT/PSN: DEGALON
Official Fuu of the Naruto Storm 3 Boards
#122UnderratedGamerPosted 5/5/2013 11:09:44 PM
Degalon posted...
1) This movie wasn't "innovating". People don't go to a Batman movie to see something that isn't Batman. It's supposed to be an ADAPTATION, which is something it completely fails at. What Nolan did instead, was take the batman name, then do his own thing with it. Good film, terrible Batman movie.

But you are forgetting that the movie HAS batman in it throughout the majority of it. Yeah maybe the first third of BB doesn't have him in it, or a small fraction of DKR doesn't have him in it, but they still have plenty of him in the batsuit. The majority of the time he's kicking ass in the batsuit. Again, I'm not going to watch a movie with 80% to 90% of the darn thing with pure fighting. There's no merit to that.

And it was a good adaption, but it's sad that these "hardcore" fanbots of the comic books literally turn their hides whenever 1 thing goes wrong. It's a good batman movie, stop the whining.

2) Christian Bale was growling like a 12 year old. That's been one of, if not the biggest criticism of the entire series, is that utterly childish and silly "growly voice" he does when being Batman.

So...you want him to just talk in his real voice. That would give him away. The hell is he supposed to talk then?

You see what I mean with these petty arguments? This is pure nit-picking at something that can't be changed. So just because batman hides his voice, the movies are suddenly terrible? Terrible reason, pick another one.

3) "stop putting the comic books on a pedestal?" It's a COMIC BOOK MOVIE, genius. It doesn't need to be an exact copy, but it needs to at least RESEMBLE the source material.

No, what you're wanting is the EXACT source. It has PLENTY of sources from the comics to fill a stadium with. What YOU are doing is nit-picking at reasons to outcast the trilogy from the others.

3) Bruce Wayne is the mask. Batman is the real identity. That has been how Batman works for decades. Ergo, why should we care about looking at Bruce Wayne over Batman? Even BATMAN doesn't like having to act as Bruce Wayne. People aren't going to see Bruce Wayne, they are going to see Batman.

He wears the mask towards OTHER people that he doesn't want to find out about who he really is. There are plenty of scenes as Bruce Wayne when he is himself. It's only towards the people that he needs to hide from that he wears this "mask".

That's not what most reviews about the movie are. People loved seeing Bruce Wayne's humanistic traits.

Yes, I want to see batman too, but not in the bland uninteresting way of being a generic, invincible superhero that has no emotions. At least, this series had depth to it.
---
"We are all Atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do." - Christopher Hitchens (1949-2011)
#123Nemesis_primePosted 5/5/2013 11:12:27 PM
Joshelplex posted...
cctrunks317 posted...
Bisolar posted...
Batman Begins and the Dark Knight are great movies, but I can't stand Nolan's portrayal of Batman.

I hear yah. Great great movies. But on a whole not great comic book movies. I don't want campiness to the levels of Batman and Robin.... yikes so terrible.... But I don't typically like them being TOO realistic. I feel like movies like Iron man and the Avengers nailed it. I like my comic book movies to be more.. comic booky lol

I agree. What bothered me more was Nolan's Bane, since yiu'd literally need to be told who he was since he's so different.

^^^ This. I had no idea at first who he was until someone told me. Great character, horrible Bane.
---
"Herald of Unicron"Guyver 4? Part Guyver, Part Zoanoid"-Sho
PSN ID - Rich_Sandlin88. XBL Gamer Tag - NEMESISPRlME
#124i_love_jaPosted 5/5/2013 11:34:58 PM
NightMareBunny posted...
the biggest problem with Nolan's Batman...he wasn't a detective he was treated like some brainless brawler that just rambled like a idiot while throwing punches

even the cartoons got the detective part down yet Nolans Batman needed the villains to spell out everything for him(that or it wasn't that difficult to figure out in the first place)

the villains always made him look like a savage moron

Example would be he wasn't able to figure out Rachel's true location. He just believed what the Joker, which is a psychopath, said to him. That seems to be a moronic Batman, not a very intelligent one.
#125bluedestiny426Posted 5/5/2013 11:34:58 PM
Good movies, decent at best adaptation of characters. I never really liked how Batman was trying to be more brutish than cunning and calculative. I mean that's one of his main traits: being able to figure out people's weaknesses or overcome them not through strength, but through ingenuity and cunning, but also sometimes through fear. I'm used to the Batman who was 1 to 2 steps ahead of his enemies, not trying to keep up and match with his enemies. I think the first two movies had him use fear as the tactic as well as stealth, which was fine, but movie 3 was almost completely different in that regard. He never even tried to be stealthy, he just tried to outmuscle bane the entire time. He rarely tried to evade any shots whatsoever, instead they looked like they were just trying to go blow for blow, batman isn't that stupid. I mean for crying out loud, at least use some gadgets...all he did was use that terrible enhancement for his leg so he could kick a brick. That's cool and all, but if he obviously knows that he's that vulnerable, you'd expect him to be a little smarter in using more gadgets then. Guess that CT scan of his brain in the movie was a little too accurate?

The worst adaptation, though was definitely Bane as everyone had said above. Everyone thought it was going to be genius bane, but instead he turned out to just be an instrument, not the real calculative tactician. That's pretty much all that needs to be said about Bane in my book.
#126Sipher360Posted 5/5/2013 11:49:39 PM
Really enjoying this thread and I appreciate hearing everyone's opinion.

My problem with Nolan is that, much like Bay's Transformers, he takes the license and creates a totally new universe that's Batman only in name:

1. Horrible Batman voice...sounded like he was trying too hard.
2. Ras al Guhl (sp) with no immortality gimmick.
3. Joker with no acid bath or laughing gas.
3. 5'10" Bane with no venom.
4. Tahlia's death scene (lol)
5. The de-gothaming of Gotham city
6. No damn Batmobile or Batwing
7. 30 year old police officer Robin...no mention of the circus
8. I could have sworn that Gordon had a daughter
9. Batman demonstrated very little scientific or detective skills and very little high level intelligence in general.
10. Batman spends like 3 years as an active Batman.
11. Batman costume that looks like a guy in biker wear than a giant bat.
---
"Ahk and them never did nothing to me....terrorism is when you hang a * from a tree..." -Grand Puba Maxwell
#127i_love_jaPosted 5/6/2013 12:11:30 AM
Sipher360 posted...
Really enjoying this thread and I appreciate hearing everyone's opinion.

My problem with Nolan is that, much like Bay's Transformers, he takes the license and creates a totally new universe that's Batman only in name:

1. Horrible Batman voice...sounded like he was trying too hard.
2. Ras al Guhl (sp) with no immortality gimmick.
3. Joker with no acid bath or laughing gas.
3. 5'10" Bane with no venom.
4. Tahlia's death scene (lol)
5. The de-gothaming of Gotham city
6. No damn Batmobile or Batwing
7. 30 year old police officer Robin...no mention of the circus
8. I could have sworn that Gordon had a daughter
9. Batman demonstrated very little scientific or detective skills and very little high level intelligence in general.
10. Batman spends like 3 years as an active Batman.
11. Batman costume that looks like a guy in biker wear than a giant bat.

1. Yeah. He could have just asked Superman how to hide his identity while not changing anything when in costume.
2. The "gimmick" is to use other people to make it look like he's immortal. And the Pit was really a lame connection or reference to the Lazarus Pits lol.
3. We ended up with wounds which is totally irrelevant to his name Joker who doesn't make enough jokes to have that name.
4. Have to forget that one.
5. We just saw the real Gotham, which is supposed to be always dark in atmosphere and time of day, in a few instances.
6. We ended up with a lame vehicle with a lame name in the Tumbler, WTF? And a plane who isn't even in the shape of a bat.
7. Robin Blake which is trying too hard to hard to connect to Tim Drake.
8. Which we only saw during the hostage taking of Two Face and nothing more after that, and she's not even named Barbara. His wife was Barbara.
9. Just gave an example above of Batman having no deductive skills. Not being able to figure out Rachel's true location.
10. In the comics, dedicated his entire life as Batman and not being a crybaby as how to get out the life. He enjoys more being the Batman than being Bruce Wayne, and the films didn't show that.
#128DegalonPosted 5/6/2013 12:26:04 AM
UnderratedGamer posted...
Degalon posted...

But you are forgetting that the movie HAS batman in it throughout the majority of it. Yeah maybe the first third of BB doesn't have him in it, or a small fraction of DKR doesn't have him in it, but they still have plenty of him in the batsuit. The majority of the time he's kicking ass in the batsuit. Again, I'm not going to watch a movie with 80% to 90% of the darn thing with pure fighting. There's no merit to that.

And it was a good adaption, but it's sad that these "hardcore" fanbots of the comic books literally turn their hides whenever 1 thing goes wrong. It's a good batman movie, stop the whining.

So...you want him to just talk in his real voice. That would give him away. The hell is he supposed to talk then?

You see what I mean with these petty arguments? This is pure nit-picking at something that can't be changed. So just because batman hides his voice, the movies are suddenly terrible? Terrible reason, pick another one.

No, what you're wanting is the EXACT source. It has PLENTY of sources from the comics to fill a stadium with. What YOU are doing is nit-picking at reasons to outcast the trilogy from the others.

He wears the mask towards OTHER people that he doesn't want to find out about who he really is. There are plenty of scenes as Bruce Wayne when he is himself. It's only towards the people that he needs to hide from that he wears this "mask".

That's not what most reviews about the movie are. People loved seeing Bruce Wayne's humanistic traits.

Yes, I want to see batman too, but not in the bland uninteresting way of being a generic, invincible superhero that has no emotions. At least, this series had depth to it.

You just love grasping at straws and living in denial, don't you?
---
GT/PSN: DEGALON
Official Fuu of the Naruto Storm 3 Boards
#129xReflectingGodxPosted 5/6/2013 12:29:40 AM
PinkPikachu posted...
i like when batman said where is the trigger

As he punches him in the face and never gives him the opportunity to answer. Yeah, Bane never would have said where it was, but still... you ask a question, you have to give someone a chance to answer. Plus he totally ignored Joker's advice about going to the head first.
---
PSN: Spaghetti_Socks XBL: Scorpion1085
#130AnonymousFriendPosted 5/6/2013 7:09:21 AM
I have to reply to everyone asking about Barbara Gordon. I believe in the comics the Batgirl Barbara Gordon was Jim Gordon's niece, not his daughter like in the Adam West Batman series and DCAU.

I was going to bring up Michael Bay's Transformers series as well and how he also missed the point of the franschise. We want more giant robot on giant robot violence in a movie about a war between giant robot.

Nolan created what on the surface was a Batman, but not THE Batman. Instead of going back to the League of Shadows, we could have had Bane bringing in this new drug called Venom, had Deathstroke or Zsasz running around murdering people, or had Black Mask or any number of non_powered mobster-like criminals fill in the vacuum caused by the events of the second game and the Dent Act.
---
Nothing is over-rated. Your opinion is just outnumbered.
PSN ID/Gamertag - AnonymousFriend