Why patch/nerf/buff/etc?

#1BlitzPantherPosted 5/20/2013 9:03:12 AM
The company does this for "casuals" when "casuals" are the first ones to put the game down in half a month at worse, three months at best. Why "fix" the game for someone who isn't going to play it?

This isn't about Injustice, but fighting games in general. Good example is how Sentinel was "nerfed beyond use"; I quote that as I never used Sent but read enough complaints about the nerf.
---
BlitzPanther died with the PS2
PSN: BLITZPANTHERII
#2KeJo6Posted 5/20/2013 9:13:09 AM
My best guess, is trying to keep those who may be casual, in the hopes that they'll stick around.

Another reason is that some stuff slips past the testers (or in some cases left in by the testers), and may be a little overpowered for the average gamer.

Key in factors like netcode f***ery, and said factors become worse.

Therefore patches.

When done right? A game can become better, as individual characters become viable, but not at the expense of balance.

When done wrong?

You get MK9 Cyrax and Kabal, SCV Viola, etc.

Kind of a double edged sword tbh
---
Do not delude yourself, wretched fool!
PSN: KeJo13
#3Bestia_SomniaPosted 5/20/2013 9:15:37 AM
Yes, because clearly competitive players didn't want AE version 2012 or the upcoming version 2013 update.
---
"Women!? Wutz a women? Iz it brand of serial? a herp to da derp..." - Masashi Kishimoto
#4_Caker_Posted 5/20/2013 9:16:05 AM
Is this still about the tiny Deathstroke nerf? It's the decent zoning of some characters in this game that makes so many other characters bottom tier, so it makes sense as an overall balance decision.
#5Sony_7Posted 5/20/2013 9:18:06 AM
Sentinel nerfed beyond use? Right, that's why he's one the more used and consistently high placing characters in UMVC3 (well, there's a huge gap between him and the top tiers but that's to be expected) . Sentinel gets more use and better tournament results than C.Viper does and she's considered high tier.

Sentinel has an amazing assist, great DHC options, and a serviceable zoning and X-Factor game. Having the most health in the game was a little bit overkill on an already great support character. And don't tell me health is unimportant, health pretty much forces your opponent to spend more meter which is crucial in mvc3. Maybe the health nerf was unnecessarily large, but having 1.3 mil health was way to much.

As of now Sent is around upper mid tier and that isn't bad at all. The people whining about him were overreacting.

The real problem with balancing Sentinel is that they didn't balance anyone else along with him. It IS bull crap that he takes a health nerf while even better characters were left untouched.
---
http://www.gamesprays.com/images/icons/tf2%20demoman%20spray_icon301.jpg
Wario Ware DIY FC: 1978-2715-3849
#6BlitzPanther(Topic Creator)Posted 5/20/2013 9:19:31 AM
_Caker_ posted...
Is this still about the tiny Deathstroke nerf? It's the decent zoning of some characters in this game that makes so many other characters bottom tier, so it makes sense as an overall balance decision.

No it's not about DS but the spiel going on right now is what brought this question to my head again. Just wondering why devs cater to and balance the game for the people least likely to stick with the game.
---
#7BlitzPanther(Topic Creator)Posted 5/20/2013 1:27:32 PM
bump
---
#8dbwangerPosted 5/20/2013 1:40:24 PM
Sony_7 posted...
Sentinel nerfed beyond use? Right, that's why he's one the more used and consistently high placing characters in UMVC3 (well, there's a huge gap between him and the top tiers but that's to be expected) . Sentinel gets more use and better tournament results than C.Viper does and she's considered high tier.

Sentinel has an amazing assist, great DHC options, and a serviceable zoning and X-Factor game. Having the most health in the game was a little bit overkill on an already great support character. And don't tell me health is unimportant, health pretty much forces your opponent to spend more meter which is crucial in mvc3. Maybe the health nerf was unnecessarily large, but having 1.3 mil health was way to much.

As of now Sent is around upper mid tier and that isn't bad at all. The people whining about him were overreacting.

The real problem with balancing Sentinel is that they didn't balance anyone else along with him. It IS bull crap that he takes a health nerf while even better characters were left untouched.

sentinel is captain commando tier

when hes on point hes probably bottom 5 or 10

quick, name me some matchups that favor sentinel
---
I used to list my PSN name here but then weirdos started sending me random msgs.
#9GujinKamiPosted 5/20/2013 1:49:02 PM
No game deserves to get patched ever. Everything is perfect on release.

Kung Lao in Vanilla MK9? Sagat in vanilla SF4? Sentinel and Phoenix in MvC3? All perfectly fine. Nothing needs balance adjusting ever.
---
~Gujin
http://i.imgur.com/GXFnB14.jpg http://i.imgur.com/ZjREIw7.jpg http://i.imgur.com/YytbkE8.gif
#10dbwangerPosted 5/20/2013 1:54:04 PM
GujinKami posted...
No game deserves to get patched ever. Everything is perfect on release.

Kung Lao in Vanilla MK9? Sagat in vanilla SF4? Sentinel and Phoenix in MvC3? All perfectly fine. Nothing needs balance adjusting ever.

sagat wasnt even the best character in vanilla SF4 at the end

and lol @ putting sentinel up there with phoenix, sagat, and kung lao

scrub detected
---
I used to list my PSN name here but then weirdos started sending me random msgs.