It's pretty clear that DC wants he popular characters to be the best in the game

#11WeAllAsked4ThisPosted 9/9/2013 7:50:16 PM
OfficeChair posted...
Is Nintendo going to let Mario be low tier in Super Smash Bros?
Is Capcom going to let Ryu be low tier in UMVC3?

You're acting like it's some kind of calculating, souless brand management strategy that happens is planned in a secret room far far below the Earth's surface when in reality companies have a reasonable right to make sure their main characters don't completely suck balls in a fighting game. Imagine your reaction if you picked up Superman and he was as difficult to use as C. Viper or was Shazam-tier.

What makes more sense for the game?

I understand what you're trying to say, but there is a pretty big difference between "best in the game" and "not worst in the game". Neither Mario or Ryu are the best in their respective games. You do have a point but it's muddied by your exaggerations since nobody even implied that they want Superman to be low-tier or suck balls.

OfficeChair posted...
so your complaint is that DC/WB wants input on a game made with their properties???

Maybe I missed it but I don't even see him making a complaint. You seem pretty defensive about this topic, Mr. Triple-Question-Marks.
---
http://i.minus.com/i2RiMzbHlier.gif
http://i.minus.com/iE8SLEWrSU0Wt.gif
#12SSJKaioShinPosted 9/9/2013 7:59:23 PM(edited)
ShadowWalker777 posted...
Superman is OP because he is freaking SUPERman. It may be annoying, but in truth, it only makes sense.

Honestly it's this. Superman, Flash, and Green Lantern are 3 of the most powerful heroes in the DC Universe. Superman is well Superman. The Flash can hit you at light speed, phase through you and make you explode by messing with your molecular structure, make it so you can't move at all via the Speed Force, etc. Green Lantern has one of the most powerful weapons ever created. So it makes sense that they'd be top tier. Granted in this game Flash could be better.

It's like playing a DBZ game and complaining that Vegito is top tier
---
Never argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
#13OfficeChairPosted 9/9/2013 8:00:30 PM
WeAllAsked4This posted...
OfficeChair posted...

You're acting like it's some kind of calculating, souless brand management strategy that happens is planned in a secret room far far below the Earth's surface when in reality companies have a reasonable right to make sure their main characters don't completely suck balls in a fighting game. Imagine your reaction if you picked up Superman and he was as difficult to use as C. Viper or was Shazam-tier.

I understand what you're trying to say, but there is a pretty big difference between "best in the game" and "not worst in the game". Neither Mario or Ryu are the best in their respective games. You do have a point but it's muddied by your exaggerations since nobody even implied that they want Superman to be low-tier or suck balls.

OfficeChair posted...
so your complaint is that DC/WB wants input on a game made with their properties???

Maybe I missed it but I don't even see him making a complaint. You seem pretty defensive about this topic, Mr. Triple-Question-Marks.

Well it's getting rectified so why exactly does this topic exist???
---
You have failed this city
#14MushdogPosted 9/9/2013 8:03:34 PM
I agree that Superman should be top tier, as should the other main heroes. I think it'd be kind of ridiculous if harley was a stronger character than superman. As a Nightwing player, fighting against Supes annoys the hell out of me (one of his worst matchups), but it's kinda how it should be. He's can harness the power of a sun, I've got wingdings :/

That being said, I wouldn't mind if they made f23 breath slightly negative. I just hope they don't nerf him too much (I don't think they will).
---
The best defense is a good offense.
#15Earthbound360(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 3:09:23 PM
generalguy64 posted...
Aquaman is top tier... since when is that fishstick popular?

For a while now. You must not keep up with the fanbases all that well. He's I believe the 4th most popular DC hero.

OfficeChair posted...

Yes. They are actually. Mario was low tier in Brawl. Ryu was low tier in UMvC3.

The arguments of some people posting in this topic is stupid. It's a FIGHTING GAME. Everyone is supposed to have an equal chance at a tier spot. This isn't a "canon player controled battle" game. And honestly, how far would this game get if NRS and DC admitted that they are going to make Superman and Batman clearly better than Harley Quinn and Bane? THIS is what doesn't make sense. It's hard to take a fighting game seriously if they're going to make their poster boy consistently top tier on purpose every time.

Ideally in a fighting game, tiers should be very irrelevant to a characters background. It should be based on what tech gets discovered for whatever character, how good and consistent it is, and how well the fighter flows in general. Don't tell me you honestly think a GOOD fighting game has the "canonically best" characters dominating the tournament scene.

NRS alone doesn't have this problem for example. Sub Zero and Scorpion were incredibly mid tier in MK9. In UMvC3, neither Ryu or Wolverine have been in top tier for a while now. In Skullgirls, Valentine is actually one of the lowest tier characters in the game (last I checked). No company has this poster boy fever like DC does.
---
You know 1% milk? If it's 1% milk, what's the other 99% of white stuff?
General Screenname Name: Mik! || Monster Hunter Profile in Quote
#16liquidleonx3Posted 9/10/2013 5:04:23 PM
ShadowWalker777 posted...
Superman is OP because he is freaking SUPERman. It may be annoying, but in truth, it only makes sense. But, he probably gonna become Nerfman after the patch.

I friggin hope not. Keep him the way he is and bring up the rest of the cast to his level or something. He's ****ing Superman for pete's sake.
---
{-Official Super Saiyan Mega Man X of Everywhere}
I'm waiting for IGN's review. I grew up with it so they're the only reviewers I trust. - HappyUnicorn101
#17DarthMummyPosted 9/10/2013 5:21:07 PM
Mushdog posted...
I agree that Superman should be top tier, as should the other main heroes. I think it'd be kind of ridiculous if harley was a stronger character than superman.

It's not ridiculous. It's a fighting game, so there should be parity between Supes and Harley, not have one stronger because it's more like the comics.
---
Who needs Kryptonians, when you have me? I'll set you free, from his tyranny.
(To the tune of "If You Believe", from Prince of Egypt.
#18OfficeChairPosted 9/10/2013 7:37:09 PM
Earthbound360 posted...
generalguy64 posted...
Aquaman is top tier... since when is that fishstick popular?

For a while now. You must not keep up with the fanbases all that well. He's I believe the 4th most popular DC hero.

OfficeChair posted...

Yes. They are actually. Mario was low tier in Brawl. Ryu was low tier in UMvC3.

The arguments of some people posting in this topic is stupid. It's a FIGHTING GAME. Everyone is supposed to have an equal chance at a tier spot. This isn't a "canon player controled battle" game. And honestly, how far would this game get if NRS and DC admitted that they are going to make Superman and Batman clearly better than Harley Quinn and Bane? THIS is what doesn't make sense. It's hard to take a fighting game seriously if they're going to make their poster boy consistently top tier on purpose every time.

Ideally in a fighting game, tiers should be very irrelevant to a characters background. It should be based on what tech gets discovered for whatever character, how good and consistent it is, and how well the fighter flows in general. Don't tell me you honestly think a GOOD fighting game has the "canonically best" characters dominating the tournament scene.

NRS alone doesn't have this problem for example. Sub Zero and Scorpion were incredibly mid tier in MK9. In UMvC3, neither Ryu or Wolverine have been in top tier for a while now. In Skullgirls, Valentine is actually one of the lowest tier characters in the game (last I checked). No company has this poster boy fever like DC does.

A) you're projecting a lot of your own values on this topic. I think you're too emotional

and

B) I still think you're confusing "intentionally spending a lot of time of one character to make them balanced which results in a top tier character I.E all the characters tom brady worked on" and "intentionally made other characters bad." No one planned on Shazam sucking or Black Adam rocking, it's just how the cards fell in the meta game. Superman being good isn't the defining characteristic of the game.
---
You have failed this city
#19YoshioKSTPosted 9/10/2013 7:45:51 PM
Are you telling me Flash is quite unpopular? : (
---
' Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.' - Sun Tzu
#20TC9834Posted 9/10/2013 8:17:39 PM
Earthbound360 posted...
80/80

It's stupid really. If you look at the game now, you'll notice how strong Superman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Batman are. One could think it's just a coincidence. However, I decided to do a little bit of research just in case. If we look back at the last DC involved fighting game, MK vs. DCU, we see this:

1. Green Lantern
2. The Flash
3. Sub-Zero
4. Scorpion
5. Superman

I mean geez, could you be any more poster boy favoring? I'm wary about buying another fighting game with DC's hand in it because this is starting to become a pattern. It's really silly if you ask me, and of course they won't admit they want Superman to be a top tier character, but it's getting quite obvious.

Despite being played extensively in tournaments since day 1, what can we observe from Superman's latest nerf? -3% on his super. Yeah that'll teach him. He also lost 1 frame on his breath move. Deathstroke and Green Arrow are jealous.

I like this game, honestly I do, and I'm excited for the upcoming patch, but let's be real here, the odds of getting the nerfs to the top tiers that was need just ain't happening. It's making me a lot less excited to be honest. If they do nerf the poster boys, it'll be something like -1 frame on their D1 or -2% on a move they never use.

You forgot Killer Frost and Black Adam. See how many people outside of comics know who they are.

Also, Aquaman is not a good example to make your point. He is popular to comicbook fans, but to everyone else, he's the guy who talks to fish.

Also, why do you want to nerf the top tiers? Why not keep the as good as they are, and make the lower tiers better?
---
Victory does not just mean that I must succeed, but that others must fail