How is this game different from DW7?

#1TCrinaleTPosted 2/26/2013 4:15:01 AM
I've heard there's a nice amount of strategy involved, I even fully read IGN's review, but I would like to know more. To everyone who has this game, could you give me a description with some details of how this game differs to the normal dynasty warrior games? (I played 3, 4, 5 and 7).
---
"You stand before the final dimension, and I'm the darkness of eternity"
#2quanticdreamPosted 2/26/2013 4:19:18 AM
DW7 is just that - you pick a map and fight on it. Either it is a linear story, or just a free mode.

Empires is - you pick a ruler (or make one, this game has custom character function), pick a starting province on the map of china and then manage your kingdom, trying to conquer all the china. There's no story mode - just that conquest. You have stratagems, resources, diplomacy, marriage, friendship bonds...
And you are not obliged to be a ruler actually... you can be a strategist, a mercenary, a common officer...
#3TCrinaleT(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 4:28:54 AM
quanticdream posted...
DW7 is just that - you pick a map and fight on it. Either it is a linear story, or just a free mode.

Empires is - you pick a ruler (or make one, this game has custom character function), pick a starting province on the map of china and then manage your kingdom, trying to conquer all the china. There's no story mode - just that conquest. You have stratagems, resources, diplomacy, marriage, friendship bonds...
And you are not obliged to be a ruler actually... you can be a strategist, a mercenary, a common officer...

Ok so you have a lot of customization when it comes to deciding "what to be". But what can you do? I mean... you are talking about stratagems, resources, diplomacy, marriage, friendship bonds, but what does that involve? And what does it mean to be a ruler, strategist, mercenary, etc?
---
"You stand before the final dimension, and I'm the darkness of eternity"
#4quanticdreamPosted 2/26/2013 4:43:43 AM
Well, the goal is technically the same with all the titles (ruler, strategist etc) - to conquer China. It's more of a roleplaying stuff then anything =) There are differences in number of stratagems you can use, or how much army you can take with you if you betray your ruler... and you can't command the troops unless you are high ranked.

Gameplay-wize it's still more or less the same - you pick a province to invade, then it's good old hack-n-slash, with some differences:
First, as mentioned above, you can give commands to officers on a battlefield, like, attack/defend certain base/character...
Stratagems are... well... stratagems... fortify base, start a fire attack, rockslide lure enemy to a trap, things like this...

And you keep improving relationships with your fellow officers, so eventually you can become spouses or sworn brothers... and vice versa, if your relationships suck, they can betray you.

So, it's DW7 with more customization and strategy involved, minus story mode, plus the whole map of China to conquer.

You can check this video to get an idea, I think.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IvfPJqGvHg
#5Shy420Posted 2/26/2013 8:18:29 AM
quanticdream posted...
Well, the goal is technically the same with all the titles (ruler, strategist etc) - to conquer China. It's more of a roleplaying stuff then anything =) There are differences in number of stratagems you can use, or how much army you can take with you if you betray your ruler... and you can't command the troops unless you are high ranked.

Gameplay-wize it's still more or less the same - you pick a province to invade, then it's good old hack-n-slash, with some differences:
First, as mentioned above, you can give commands to officers on a battlefield, like, attack/defend certain base/character...
Stratagems are... well... stratagems... fortify base, start a fire attack, rockslide lure enemy to a trap, things like this...

And you keep improving relationships with your fellow officers, so eventually you can become spouses or sworn brothers... and vice versa, if your relationships suck, they can betray you.

So, it's DW7 with more customization and strategy involved, minus story mode, plus the whole map of China to conquer.

Never played an Empires game before but am well versed in Koei Warriors games. It makes you wonder why they don't just release Empires games.

Is there an Empires game for Gundam? Guess I could just look that up.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
#6suksassPosted 2/26/2013 8:34:02 AM
Shy420 posted...
quanticdream posted...

Never played an Empires game before but am well versed in Koei Warriors games. It makes you wonder why they don't just release Empires games.

Is there an Empires game for Gundam? Guess I could just look that up.

Theree isn't. Empire games a more like intermissions while waiting for the next sequel. They are also heavily based on character forms that come out in story game. Making it it's own series would be pointless for Koei
#7quanticdreamPosted 2/26/2013 8:48:21 AM(edited)
Gundam, however, is surprisingly good on its own... friendship system, choosing both character and suit, bases that actually matter... if there was Empires of it, it would probably be the best Empires game ever o_O

suksass posted...
Making it it's own series would be pointless for Koei

Wish they got rid of XL though... now these are pointless, IMO...
#8suksassPosted 2/26/2013 8:56:28 AM
quanticdream posted...
Gundam, however, is surprisingly good on its own... friendship system, choosing both character and suit, bases that actually matter... if there was Empires of it, it would probably be the best Empires game ever o_O

suksass posted...
Making it it's own series would be pointless for Koei

Wish they got rid of XL though... now these are pointless, IMO...

I can't really see much pount in it aside from money grabing. I mean it doess add a bit of stuff and few new story branches, but definetly not enough to cost full game price.