Challenges Guide Version 2

#1111nternationa7(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2014 11:11:14 AMmessage detail
Asmodaios344 posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KppxSmhkLU
The dude is epic,also pay attention to the music.
I haven't try the challenges yet,i do some backtracking to find all the collectives.

That dude is pretty impressive. He doesn't use Hoarfrost at all and instead opts for parries and dodges. Respect! Also he doesn't use chaos bombs on the Paladin challenge and instead uses a quite unique mist tactic.
---
Version 1 of My Movelist for Lords of Shadow 2: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672716-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2/68667781
#112DamthielPosted 3/20/2014 2:23:06 AMmessage detail
Guide is pretty good, thank you for putting it up, it's been helpful with some. Thought I should share some of my experiences:

1) The torture of Sir Nualan - This one was giving me troubles at first. I was focusing what was written in your advice, thus I was trying to get the minions killed by Jailers first, which I think was the mistake. I would suggest getting the 9 minion kill without recovering first, then worry about the others. Once you've killed the 9, the challenge is considered completed, and I was able to heal without any penalty. This makes the other challenge just a waiting game more than anything else.

2) The madness of Sir Gerard - Completely agree that Hoarfrost spam is a must here, but what your advice didn't point out (it wasn't obvious to me at least) is that even Hoarfrost usage counts against your "mistakes" for using the wrong weapon. In other words, you can only use Hoarfrost if Void Sword use is currently active.

So I think the key to this is just keeping an eye on the "weapon swap" bar, and getting a feel for when it changes. Hoarfrost spam when you're able, and on occasion the enemies will be "smart" and dodge like crazy away from you when you do this. To counter this: Don't try to track them down, it's not worth it. Freeze what you can then damage with whatever weapon is up, but don't be overzealous with it. Again, it's more of a patience challenge imo (Ensnared Demons are a must too).

3) Infection: Second Seal (Trevor) - I thought Flame Claw spam worked great here, but I'm not sure how much I would get behind trying to intentionally build your Focus back up. You suggest to grab enemies to get hp, but imo this makes it harder unless you've cleared your 50 enemies. Imo, you have to be more selective about grabbing, because if you do that they won't drop any Magic Orbs. However, if you use the Whip to kill them regularly, they will drop a couple, making it easier to get 1 or 2 more Flame Claws in.

Otherwise, I was just trying to remain along the outer edge of the area, continually moving/jumping/dodging, using hit and run tactics. Rising Whip (Square, X) followed by Guillotine was pretty much my go-to for most of the game, and that's what I did here too. They'll block it a lot of course, but every once and a while some hits will still connect.

The MG guys were the worst for me here, because they can randomly peg you even at max distance. Blocking does work, but that doesn't account for the random grenades that will also be flying your way. There's a lot of randomness involved to be sure.

4) The revenge of Channarong - Just to the derp players like myself: Killing a regular warrior first for the Orb is good advice, but keep in mind you have to kill him with the Whip in order for the Orb to drop.

5) Infection: Third Seal - Credit mostly goes to this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UflKuKBfocw

This person gets pretty lucky, but one thing to take away from it is how he/she continually dashes around the area. They seem to be less aggressive if you do this (in my experience) but the Police will still stop and shoot on occasion. Using Void Shield when the energy cannons are down is also quite smart. It could just be RNG, but they seemed to use their weapons more when you are in mid/close range rather than long. Also, I would suggest using a Font to recharge your magic beforehand here, as ED's just make things more complicated imo.

6) The battle of Nifhel (Paladin) - Took me about a dozen tries, but Flame Claw worked better for me than Bombs. Not really much else to add besides dodge like crazy, and I always quickly switched to Mist whenever he combined his sword. Let him waste his attack on Mist, then use the opening after to break his swords.

Talisman doesn't outright kill the Pal either, so readers be aware of that.
#1131nternationa7(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 4:27:09 AMmessage detail
Yeah, I probably still need to make some more revisions to finally clarify everything. Problem is that my revision hasn't been sticking :(
---
Version 1 of My Movelist for Lords of Shadow 2: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672716-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2/68667781
#114DamthielPosted 3/21/2014 7:37:42 AMmessage detail
1nternationa7 posted...
Yeah, I probably still need to make some more revisions to finally clarify everything. Problem is that my revision hasn't been sticking :(

Well, just as long as the information is somewhere. Of course, you could just polish everything up a bit and just submit a guide ^_^ that would solve any future edits you may want to do as well.
#115WhyWontHeFallPosted 3/21/2014 1:13:01 PMmessage detail
Little off topic here, but what was the first thought in your mind upon seeing Dracula's victory pose after completing a challenge?

For me, it was "I HAAAVE THE POWEEEERRRR!!!!!!!!!!!"

: )-
#116DamthielPosted 3/22/2014 7:00:41 AMmessage detail
WhyWontHeFall posted...
Little off topic here, but what was the first thought in your mind upon seeing Dracula's victory pose after completing a challenge?

For me, it was "I HAAAVE THE POWEEEERRRR!!!!!!!!!!!"

: )-

Ironically enough, I think that's more or less what I looked like after finishing all of the challenges on PoD.

I think it's more like a "FINALLY" look.
#1171nternationa7(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2014 11:57:59 PMmessage detail(edited)
I'm still getting a lot of mileage on this game doing all the challenges again. Trying to beat all the challenges without refilling life and magic (no items), and it's pretty difficult. I beat the first 7 this way, but the dang brotherhood clerics got a cheap shot in right after I barely survived the Trevor challenge.

I really wish I had a capture card though. I've gotten real good at doing challenges, especially the Paladin challenge.
---
#118WhyWontHeFallPosted 3/24/2014 11:46:01 AMmessage detail
1nternationa7 posted...
I'm still getting a lot of mileage on this game doing all the challenges again. Trying to beat all the challenges without refilling life and magic (no items), and it's pretty difficult. I beat the first 7 this way, but the dang brotherhood clerics got a cheap shot in right after I barely survived the Trevor challenge.

I really wish I had a capture card though. I've gotten real good at doing challenges, especially the Paladin challenge.

Yep. I really enjoy the Kleidos. They add so much to the replay-ability factor. I also like how they are named for fallen Brotherhood knights. For an extra challenge, remove the enemy health gauge if you haven't already.

I'd like to see how you do on video. Its ok to go back to the servant corpse challenges and recover all life and magic
: )

I've taken a look at some videos online and whilst I don't deny the skills of any of the players, sometimes I wonder if they really are playing on POD setting. The enemies they face seem much less aggressive than I remember! I think the best way for them to offer proof is to intentionally take damage at least one time and then we'll know for sure. I recall seeing someone complete the "Laura's Toys" trial in LOS 1 on Paladin with no damage and I can almost assure that he / she was deceiving us. Even someone in the comments section mentioned it. lol.