Don't Play if you don't speak/read japanese

#1heimdalgcPosted 11/3/2012 7:55:37 AM
I say this on every tales board and posters say back "i don't read but beat it no guide"

But really.....why play if u no speaky Japanese?

You sure as heck don't get the majority of the story. You don't get the complete experience. Mostly good for battle.....

Silky to spend money on something you won't 190% get...then when it comes out in engrish you buy again!
---
Official Alyssa of the Final Fantasy 13-2 Boards
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind
#2InojiPosted 11/3/2012 8:03:28 AM
I'm pretty sure you would understand by now is people who don't understand japanese would NOT play it for the story.
They also DO understand they won't get the complete experience.
They play it because it is still enjoyable to them, and let's face it. Even though, this is not imported friendly, If someone has played enough japanese games before, they can get by regardless of a guide or not.
It is not your ruling to tell them why they shouldn't waste their money on something they would still enjoy. If they have the money, they should do whatever they want with it. Also, there's a chance this might not make it overseas is another reason to import it. If it does comes out, it does not affect anyone's else decision to buy it but theirs. It's up to them.
---
Many people say "I am a gift to this world," but I say this world is a gift to me.
#3Im_A_DogPosted 11/3/2012 8:05:55 AM
You can still understand a fair bit of the story through the inflections of the voices and the cutscenes. I'm sure everyone who imports this not knowing Japanese is well aware they won't understand everything, but they can spend their money any way they please. Tales games are more about the gameplay for me anyways. Once you beat the game and know the story, you usually end up skipping it on later playthroughs anyways to get to the good stuff. So yeah. I'm really enjoying the game so far and it's very easy to play without any knowledge of Japanese. Besides who wants to wait 2 years for this to (maybe) come out in English?
#4Pereb27Posted 11/3/2012 8:10:00 AM
You are perfectly correct in that we don't get the complete experience. However, there are many reasons that will push people who don't speak Japanese to import, here are some off the top of my head :

- We don't want to wait 2 years for the game to come out in English, IF it even comes out in English.
- Some people don't like the English voices, which have so far been forced upon us on the English releases. (Even now I'm considering importing the JP version of Graces F because some of the English voices annoy the **** out of me)
- We can still pick up the overall storyline (though we do miss a lot of details)
- Some people care mostly about gameplay
- It is a good resource for people who want to learn Japanese (from playing Vesperia and Xillia in Japanese, I'm starting to pick up some words and symbols)
- Japan exclusive DLC costumes (though that just makes us spend even more money, lololol)

As for me, even though I don't understand Japanese, I still have a blast playing those games, and that's enough to make me import them. And yes, I will buy ToX and ToX2 again when they come out in English, but considering we're getting them 2 years after the Japan release, it's not that much of a problem to me. Besides I don't buy that many games, and Tales are my favourite series, so I don't mind giving them some more money.
#5Radiantist027Posted 11/3/2012 8:22:32 AM
Because, we have extra money to spend.

ANd besides, who plays Tales games for the story?

..This one seems to have one of the "good" stories for Tales though, and I'll be glad on getting the English version. So buy Xillia you NA players.
---
"JUST WHO THE HELL, DO YOU THINK I AM!!!"
"Screw the Rules, I have Money!"
#6choy-krPosted 11/3/2012 8:34:43 AM
I play for the story... There is many touching moment on the old Tales series.
The only Tales i play in English is Tales of Vesperis 360. Other, all japanese even complete version of ToV.
#7choy-krPosted 11/3/2012 8:35:10 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8ludgerkunPosted 11/3/2012 8:38:35 AM
I also play for the story with my experience of watching anime without subs and playing other import games, my knowledge to get through is pretty mediocre to average at best my I have little to no problems getting by.

Heck most of my games are in japanese because if I have a little more money to spend, I get the title first because there's no likelihood of it being ported in English. People are gunna buy it regardless for the story and characters and what not so let them do it.
#9JudeHavocPosted 11/3/2012 8:41:03 AM
Inoji posted...
I'm pretty sure you would understand by now is people who don't understand japanese would NOT play it for the story.
They also DO understand they won't get the complete experience.
They play it because it is still enjoyable to them, and let's face it. Even though, this is not imported friendly, If someone has played enough japanese games before, they can get by regardless of a guide or not.
It is not your ruling to tell them why they shouldn't waste their money on something they would still enjoy. If they have the money, they should do whatever they want with it. Also, there's a chance this might not make it overseas is another reason to import it. If it does comes out, it does not affect anyone's else decision to buy it but theirs. It's up to them.

:( I almost had a tear in my eye when I read this Dx what you say is SO true! I also don't understand a lot of japanese and yet I still manage to do a pretty good job playing a Japanese game, im surprised I actually managed to beat Vesperia ps3 version because that game was had a major barrier in terms of it being very text heavy and what not, I import these games because I enjoy the heck out them, I can understand the gist of the story, and the character interactions and gameplay is why I choose to import these games, regardless if I fully understand Japanese, even in American games I don't care about the story and I tend to not pay attention to the story's unless the game is Dead Space, or The World Ends With You, while playing Xillia 2, I really can't understand to much as to whats going on, but I can manage and you have no right to tell us not to buy this game...
I'm basically rephrasing Inoji in the last part lol, most Tales fans don't understand Japanese and yet they still buy the games, and they still love the game to death, I love playing imported games because it's just a whole different exprience, regardless if I understand what's going on or not.
---
...Bleh!
#10TAoRPosted 11/3/2012 8:41:15 AM
http://i51.tinypic.com/2qi72gk.jpg
---
Oh, oh, oh ice-cold milk and an oreo cookie...